• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Can you use gasoline or is the flash point too low?

Do not use gasoline in a wick lamp, you can use gasoline in SOME pressure type lamps.. but only if the manufacture states that you can..
    But keep in mind the age.. today's gasoline is at least 10% alcohol .. so it will have a much lower flash point than K-1..

Gasoline does not make a good back up fuel anyway.. it can go bad quicker than K-1 & it has nasty stuff in it so it should never be used indoors..
    Un dyed K-1 when used in a good lamp has almost no smell or smoke..

If you use a wick type lamp , the first time you use it with new fuel , fuel from somewhere you have not used before.. keep a empty 5 gallon bucket on hand to drop over top of lamp to smother the fire if it starts to get out of hand..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    "NEVER USE THE FOLLOWING IN ANY WICK LAMP OR LANTERN OF ANY TYPE:

1. Gasoline
    2. Coleman Fuel
    3. White Gas
    4. Paint Thinner, (aka *Mineral Spirits)
    5. Wood Alcohol
    6. Naptha
    7. Turpentine
    8. Benzene
    9. Or any other Explosive Fuel

USING ANY OF THE ABOVE FUELS IN A WICK LAMP OR LANTERN
    CAN RESULT IN PROPERTY LOSS, SERIOUS INJURY, OR DEATH.

CAUTION:
    Diesel and Aviation fuel should not be used in any wick lamp or lantern
    as the fumes from fuel additives can be FATAL if inhaled.
    "

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I didn't realize there is so much variance in simple K-1 fuel. You've got me concerned now.
    I guess I better keep a metal bucket handy.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I burn K1 in all of mine and use it every weekend at the cabin. They put off plenty of light to read by. I have wondered what would happen if one got knocked over

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    If you google Kirkmans Lanterns you will find the home page for Kirkmans .. You can buy theirs as well as Deitz lanterns and lantern accessories. Everyone in my family got one for Christmas for their preps ....

The Deitz are a little cheaper

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    We use Aladdin lamps, Dietz lanterns, Coleman reg. & dual fuel lanterns and have old oil lamps in wall brackets on the walls. Usually use high quality Kerosene, with the exception of the Coleman dual fuel lantern. And, I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but another lesser known fuel that will burn with a simple wick is olive oil. Lehman's even has simple lamps that are to be used with olive oil.

If you can picture the sanctuary in an Orthodox Christian Church, they always have hanging votive lamps burning - they are fueled by olive oil. Olive oil has been used for thousands of years in lamps. When your Kerosene runs out you can use olive oil in some lamps. Just something to be aware of.

Kathy

bynder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    we used lamps in the scouts years ago that used a crystal, you put it in the holding tank along with some water and it made a gas that would burn. for the life of me i can't remember the name of it. anyone know ?????

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    My folks kept lamp oil around for theirs over the last few years, but I remember my grandmother always used kerosene in hers. In fact she always referred to them as kerosene lamps, not oil lamps. Not sure which fuel would last longer, but kerosene would certainly be cheaper and it's available in bulk. I've had issues finding lamps that I like. I dislike the more common ones with a small rounded base. I like something with a larger fuel container and a raised base. Not so easy to find in my neighbourhood.

Try hitting up garage sales in older neighborhoods. I find lamps and all kinds of other outdoor items all the time.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    we used lamps in the scouts years ago that used a crystal, you put it in the holding tank along with some water and it made a gas that would burn. for the life of me i can't remember the name of it. anyone know ?????

Carbide lamps. Calcium carbide + Water gives off acetylene gas.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    We use Aladdin lamps, Dietz lanterns, Coleman reg. & dual fuel lanterns and have old oil lamps in wall brackets on the walls. Usually use high quality Kerosene, with the exception of the Coleman dual fuel lantern. And, I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but another lesser known fuel that will burn with a simple wick is olive oil. Lehman's even has simple lamps that are to be used with olive oil.

If you can picture the sanctuary in an Orthodox Christian Church, they always have hanging votive lamps burning - they are fueled by olive oil. Olive oil has been used for thousands of years in lamps. When your Kerosene runs out you can use olive oil in some lamps. Just something to be aware of.

Kathy

Hmmm...wasnt aware of that. Just plain ole Wal-Mart off the shelf olive oil???

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    when using any wick type lamp, keep the wick clean of carbon build up..
    between uses trim off burt crud..
    the shape of the will change how the flame looks.. i round the top of wick instead of cutting flat..

With good clean fuel & trimmed wick you should have a steady flame with no smoke or flicker..
    remember to allow the flame to warm up before adjusting to full light.

Top Bottom