• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I'm a little bummed out this evening. The buck we watched all summer and fall was killed last night. We had dozens of pictures of this beast and had high but reserved hopes one of our hunting party would get a shot at him this year. He was killed about a mile and a half away from where we'd been getting photos by some guy who had no real idea what he had killed (not even planning on getting him mounted in any way). He saw him walking out to the stand, shot and missed with his muzzleloader. "Splitter" as we called him, just stood there and allowed him to reload and shoot again! This time the hunter hit him in the neck anchoring him. I had guesstimated him to be around 209" from the pics we had of him, and after having a tape on him I wasn't far off. 205" gross B&C!

This deer was truly a deer of a lifetime, so I'm kind of disappointed. We have seen other deer with similar antler traits beginning, so hopefully we'll have some more gnarly beasts wandering around in a couple more years.
    splitter1_zpsda90fa70.jpg
    splitter2_zps3f78a3b4.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well I'm pissed... Just plain pissed...
    I shot a monster buck yesterday at 3:30. Waited till about 4 to start tracking. 5 hours, 2 trained Amish trackers, and one father-in-law, we declared it lost. Where it was hit, we found lung tissue and a good amount of blood. I was able to see the wound as it ran past and it was a clean shot behind the left front shoulder. We are all stumped... The best guess we have is that he ended up somewhere in a 10' tall field of solid thorns and spiky bushes. But we ran our of blood to follow...
    I am still pissed....

Any water near by? A lot of times a wounded dear will go to water, and lay down in the water. I have found at least 3 or 4 dear that I shot either laying at the edge of a creek or laying at the edge of a pond, about half way submerged in the water.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Any water near by? A lot of times a wounded dear will go to water, and lay down in the water. I have found at least 3 or 4 dear that I shot either laying at the edge of a creek or laying at the edge of a pond, about half way submerged in the water.

In fact there is. That was one of the first places I ended up looking. I'm hoping my father-in-law can make it out there tonight and take a look. If not, it will have to wait till tomorrow.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I would be happy to just SEE a buck during daylight hours at this point. Will be hitting it again tonight and all this weekend. I may do a little spot n stalk pretty soon.

I went the long way home last night and found out they are just now taking out the bean on lower fields adjacent to us, might explain as to why I seem to have missing deer, lol.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    had a yearling doe walk within 20 yards, might have thought about if I had my bow. Still holding out hoping that SOME DAY one of these does I let walk by will be hot and bring me a shooter buck. After Thanksgiving weekend... they are ALL going in the freezer :D

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm going to finally get a chance to get into the woods. Heading out to Brookville in the morning. For me... it's going to be brown is down, my freezer is empty.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    had a yearling doe walk within 20 yards, might have thought about if I had my bow. Still holding out hoping that SOME DAY one of these does I let walk by will be hot and bring me a shooter buck. After Thanksgiving weekend... they are ALL going in the freezer :D
    Have you ever tried setting up a mock scrape? I am going to try it for the first time. I have seen Scrapes not too far south of me and Does are right here so I figure why not try it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd just made a post on facebook about not seeing any deer in the mornings this season, only to have a couple of yearling does and a lil basket 6 pointer walk in behind me 15 minutes later. At 11PM I was on the phone with my wife to tell the boy I was on my way to get him and had a 1.5yo 8 pointer come running across the field behind my truck with his nose to the ground... I'd say that's a good sign I need to hurry up and eat and get back over there ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only saw 3 this morning, no bone up top. Sign says they're hitting our thicket finally, but probably at night (buck activity).
    Blasted a 121# dressed doe. Kinda felt bad about it, would rather have shot her with the Python, but hadn't tested my .35 Rem 1.8" yet.
    So I did. Buck only for rifle from now on.
    Much rather fill doe tags with archery gear.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I was all happy with my evening sit

1460125_10151830240688528_42136154_n.jpg

then that 30mph gust hit and sent me flying down the tree and headed home.... homie don't play dat

I'll be back

Top Bottom