• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I had the pleasure of "guiding" one of my best friends sons this weekend. 10 year old Carter and his brother came over to hunt from Ohio. His brother almost got a shot at this buck on Saturday morning, but the combines rolled over the hill and scared the buck off just before he got a shot. Yesterday evening this buck stepped out just 15 yards from Carter and I in a ground blind and Carter let his muzzleloader eat. This was one really cool deer. His coat is extremely dark. His legs were almost solid black and he had a jet black mane down the back of his neck. He will make an awesome looking mount on the wall.

Myself and my young buddy Carter with his cool buck.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    This year has been good for us so far. We've been able to beat the trespassers to the deer that have been feeding on our crops all summer.

Started off the season the hubby got a nice doe with the cross bow I had won at a local festival just days before. I'd say that was a $1 raffle well spent.

104_5235_zpscfe4b6b7.jpg

Then he went fishing and caught the biggest crappie he ever has. Had a bunch more to clean beside this one, but the rest were just average size. Yes, I know this is the hunting thread, but he was so happy about this fish I just had to share.

104_5241a_zpsc9f8f92b.jpg

Opening Day of firearms season saw the hubby bringing in this big body young 4 pointer. Had his head down trailing does and never even paid any attention to his surroundings.

104_5246_zps56fcf25c.jpg

104_5249_zps20bedd82.jpg

This morning the son went out and out did his Dad, with this 6 point buck. He's been in a lot of fights and had fresh wounds on his shoulders from an antler gouge. His rack is broken and had fresh tree bark hanging from it. He was a brawler.

104_5251_zps0d800511.jpg

104_5255_zpsf891bd1f.jpg

Now that the boys have gotten their deer it's my turn. Granny is officially turning in her babysitting hat and putting on orange. I'd like to try out my new crossbow at least once this year.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Great pics Rayne. Thanks for sharing!

Now go get the big buck and show them how its done. Good luck!

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just started hunting this year. Have been preparing for this weekend for the past two years, buying stuff a little at a time. I wasn't able to find any private land and Friday afternoon, my pastor shows up at my office and invites me to go with him on Saturday morning. Was able to get my first deer ever. Shot at 25yds.
    As this is a gun board, here are the details:
    CVA Scout 12ga Stainless
    Leupold VX1 1-4 Heavy Duplex Reticle in Leupold Rifleman Rings
    Hornady 12ga 300gr SST

111t1s0.jpg

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    What an opening day. I got my first buck in my life at 7:50am. I was hunting across from a horse pasture. I saw all 3 horses look up at once, then I knew somehwere was around the corner. Then I saw the antlers come around the corner. 2 does came flying about 50 yards to the right of me. and I mean FLYING. I honestly thought they were coyotes because they were so small and were just a blur because of how fast they were running. The buck then chased them behind me. I thought they were gone, but then they came around behind me and started going to the right. The does booked it out of there and I lost sight of them. The buck started walking towards them out of my sight, so I decided to try something I've never done. I bleated twice out of my call and that buck did a 180 and walked right towards me. There were so many branches and twigs in the way. So I placed my reticle in the only clear shot I had. The buck walked right into that spot and stopped. It wasn't the best angle, but I took the shot, and the .44 Magnum passed right at the base of the neck on his right side and exited behind his left shoulder. He jumped way in the air and kicked his back legs. He ran away, and about 1 minute later, I heard a loud crack, and a nice thud. After tracking him, he made it about 150 yards and died. I was so excited. This is my 2nd deer, and my first buck.Then me and my buddy who's land I was hunting on made a trip to the butcher, came home, and went back to the stand at 3:30 with my buddy in his double stand. Not even 30 minutes after being in the stand, a buck walks by and stops about 5 yards in front of our stand. He shot it twice with his 500 S&W rifle and the buck made in 15 yards and died. We could not ask for a better opening day.

My buck 11 pointer:

His Buck 9 pointer:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    27 yards! Dunno why I keep saying it was 37.... lol..

I was talking about it this morning, realizing that my pins are green....red..... green, and the red one was the one I put on the rib cage.

Don't think I would have shot at that angle at 37...

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Lot of nice deer......Went out Saturday and checked out some new land. I didn't see a thing ALLLLLL day but I did find some good looking signs and will go back again and set up in a new location. Hope for the best.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Got out to my blind tonight to inspect it after the high winds. I could see it was on its side approaching it and the only thing that kept it on the property were two surplus tent stakes and some orange 550 cord. I put it back up, but this ground blind is now a convertible because the entire top was torn off. Such a bummer because it was a nice blind that I bought this year and I've only had it a few months. I can't really say I'm surprised though, ground blinds aren't meant to hold up to those kinds of winds. Just tough luck on this one.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Shot a five pointer today, fifty yard shot. First bullet (top One) when thru the lungs and lodged in the opposite side leg. Buck was moving away from me. (44 magnum bullet expanded to 1/2 in diameter.) He circled around and I shot him in the heart, the Buck kicked backwards, ran 20 yards and fell by a tree. One more shot to the heart before he died.
    Now the truth:
    I examined the deer this morning and here is what happened. I shot him at 50 yards bullet went thru his ribs, then his lungs and ended on his opposite side leg. He just kept walking, I fired a second time, which I believed was a miss and didn't include it in my original post. Sorry. I recovered that bullet about 2 inches from the first bullet, again it went thru ribs, lungs and was located on the opposite side leg of deer. Waited 20 minutes, continued to grunt for him and he appeared 50 yards away from me on the right. I shot him, the third shot nicked the heart and went thru the lungs, I saw the bullet hit the ground behind him. I was shooting down a hill at him. He kicked backwards and ran 20 yards. Huge amount of blood and lung trail. I waited 20 minutes, he never moved, I was looking at him thru binoculars. When I got 20 yards away he put his head up, and I shot him thru the heart. He was now dead. In 45 years of hunting, I never seen anything close to this, he was hit three times in the vitals and did not die. The first two shots left no blood trail, I searched all over for any signs of blood and nothing. If he didn't appear on my right for the third shot, I would of never thought I hit him. Man I feel bad, were my shots bad, my bullets weak, or what. here's the bullets I recovered. 44 magnum 240 grain Winchester factory loaded jacketed hollow points.
    44010.jpg

dr013.jpg

dr011.jpg

Attachments

• dr011.jpg
      dr011.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom