OMG, I am tired of all you damn officers whining

bunny-says-no-care-at-all.jpg

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Any idea what standard is used to judge when a LEO takes a life? I'll give you a hint, it was the result of a pretty big court case in 1989 and the standard has remained unchanged since that time.

In Marion County, all fatal police shootings are reviewed by the Grand Jury. This is required, unlike other parts of the state. The Grand Jury (a group of non cops) decide if the actions of the officer constitute criminal activity. We've never had a LEO indicted by the Grand Jury for a police shooting. The reality is that the standard used to judge an officer who shoots and kills someone changed pretty dramatically in 1989 and it wasn't in favor of the police. At least in Indianapolis it isn't the police department, Sheriff's department, State Police or the Prosecutor's office who decide if a LEO should be charged with a crime when they shoot and kill someone. A group of citizens, granted some pretty powerful authority to subpoena, question and force testimony get to decide.

Now can we have one of our resident lawyers explain who runs the Grand Jury, and what gets presented to them?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I love it when cops call citizens "civilians" like they're not civilians themselves.

I love it when people think cops are "civilians" and feel the need to point it out like its some sort of slight to refer to people as civilians. (Hint: military, police, and fire all fall under "not a civilian").

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Any idea what standard is used to judge when a LEO takes a life? I'll give you a hint, it was the result of a pretty big court case in 1989 and the standard has remained unchanged since that time.

In Marion County, all fatal police shootings are reviewed by the Grand Jury. This is required, unlike other parts of the state. The Grand Jury (a group of non cops) decide if the actions of the officer constitute criminal activity. We've never had a LEO indicted by the Grand Jury for a police shooting. The reality is that the standard used to judge an officer who shoots and kills someone changed pretty dramatically in 1989 and it wasn't in favor of the police. At least in Indianapolis it isn't the police department, Sheriff's department, State Police or the Prosecutor's office who decide if a LEO should be charged with a crime when they shoot and kill someone. A group of citizens, granted some pretty powerful authority to subpoena, question and force testimony get to decide.

It was exactly the same way in Ohio.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I grew up with a bit of a chip on my shoulder towards cops, looking back most likely because of interactions with one particular gem of a guy who myself and friends had contact with. Nothing serious, but left a bad taste that lingered.

Then I got into a thing while working in Florida and was handled by a Brevard Co. Deputy/NASA Security Officer. He looked at the entire situation, assessed things thoroughly, and sorted things out very fairly, at no small effort of his own. I was held accountable for my actions, but that cop really did me right. The last thing he said to me was "I did what I did because I figured you were basically a good guy". He didn't say it, but I knew he also meant "Please don't prove me wrong in the future". I didn't.

9x18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Central Florida
    nope, although there is other forums. you use this thing google search(along with computer keyboard to type), then use this thing called computer mouse. That should solve any secret forums that FL is hiding.

Top Bottom