Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Everyday I say,
    "it just cannot get any worse"
    or
    "that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard"
    but then, a new day comes and I end up repeating myself, day after day!

http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2009/05/06/obama_to_propose_$125b_for_black_farmers

Obama to propose $1.25B for black farmers

President Barack Obama is proposing that the government provide $1.25 billion to settle discrimination claims by black farmers against the Agriculture Department.

The White House said the money would be included in the president's 2010 budget request to be unveiled Thursday.
    Obama had taken criticism earlier this year from black farmers and lawmakers who said the federal government was neglecting the need for more money to fund claims under a decade-old class-action lawsuit against the government.

In a statement, Obama said the proposed settlement funds would "close this chapter" in the agency's history and allow it to move on.
    "My hope is that the farmers and their families who were denied access to USDA loans and programs will be made whole and will have the chance to rebuild their lives and their businesses," he said.

John Boyd, who has spearheaded the litigation as head of the National Black Farmers Association and has been particularly critical of Obama recently, called the proposal a "step in the right direction."
    But he said more money would be needed.

"We think this is a good step in the negotiating process. We're glad to know this issue is on the president's radar screen and we commend him for taking this step," he said. But "we need to make sure that none of the black farmers are left out."

At issue is the class-action Pigford lawsuit, named after Timothy Pigford, a black farmer from North Carolina who was among the original plaintiffs. Thousands of farmers sued USDA claiming they had for years been denied government loans and other assistance that routinely went to whites. The government settled in 1999 and has paid out nearly $1 billion in damages on almost 16,000 claims.

Since then, other farmers have pushed to reopen the case because they missed deadlines for filing. Many said they didn't know that damages were available.

Last year, Congress passed a proposal sponsored by then-Sen. Obama and others to give more farmers a chance at a settlement. But the measure included a budget of only $100 million _ far short of what is likely needed. With an estimated 65,000 additional claims, some estimate the case could cost the government another $2 billion or $3 billion.

While Obama's proposal represents a marked shift from the Bush administration, which had fought paying new claims, it was unclear how the plan might be received on Capitol Hill. Many lawmakers think the payments should not be capped and that the government should pay however much it costs to resolve successful claims.

Earlier this week, Sens. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, and Kay Hagan, D-N.C., introduced legislation that would allow access to an unlimited judgment fund at the Department of Treasury to pay successful claims
    "I don't know other fields of litigation where there's a limit on the payments," Rep. G.K. Butterfield, D-N.C., said Wednesday, speaking before the White House announced the proposal.

Most claimants in the original case opted to seek expedited payments that required a relatively low burden of proof. The payments were $50,000 plus $12,500 in tax breaks

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    In a statement, Obama said the proposed settlement funds would "close this chapter" in the country's history and allow it to move on.
    "My hope is that the former slaves and their families who were denied access to everything owed to them will be made whole and will have the chance to rebuild their lives and their businesses," he said.

Change a few word and the statement has already been written.
    Do I think that reparations via tax is possible? (taxing other races than black) (perhaps a tax break if your black) Yes.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    First let me say I AM NOT A RACIST!!!!!

My family has never in our history had slaves, I am Italian and Irish so there is a good chance at some point we may have been slaves.....

That being said, why must my tax dollars go to this? I did not deny them loans...

And if Reparations come to be why should my tax dollars go to that?

Black slaves were brought to this country and sold by their own people, my ancestors had nothing to do with this, Hell they were still in Italy and Ireland...

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Ok I might get blasted for this, but it is my honest opinion that the Democrats and their social programs have done more harm to Blacks than Slavery.
    Get your hate on and when you calm down, think about it.
    While slaves had a forced work ethic, they had one.
    When Slavery was abolished they had skills they could use. Regardless of if they could read or write they were capable of providing for themselves like any other immigrant to the country at the time.
    Family unity was strong and the father figure was in place. They had respect and decency.
    Along comes Social change and slowly they fall back into a new type of slavery. This time to get the handouts, there are conditions (imagine that). Slowly the Black community becomes reliant not on themselves but others, family units break up and daily positive role models are removed to be replaced with Athlete Heroes. I could write much more but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.
    Did the Black community willing allow themselves to reenter a different form of slavery?
    On the matter of reparations, do we get to deduct, from the amount they would be getting, the amount they might have already received from public?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Nothing surprises me that the TOTUS does on a daily basis. Can Reparations for Slavery be far behind :dunno:

BINGO!!! BINGO!!!! BINGO!!!!!
    To the OP what are you suprised about?
    Remembe I6BO is here to CHANGE the way we do things and part of the CHANGE is the redistribution of wealth.

So open up your wallet and get ready to get robbed cause you have to give some of your hard earn money to the lazy, bastards in our society who just milk the system.

Also don't get any idea about complaining. If you do then the I6BO national security force will be knocking on your door and taking you away for re-training. Soon you will be singing the "children's change song" and be waiting for your handout like everyone else.

WELCOME TO THE CHANGE AMERICA WANTED!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The White House said the money would be included in the president's 2010 budget request to be unveiled Thursday.
    Obama had taken criticism earlier this year from black farmers and lawmakers who said the federal government was neglecting the need for more money to fund claims under a decade-old class-action lawsuit against the government.

In a statement, Obama said the proposed settlement funds would "close this chapter" in the agency's history and allow it to move on.
    "My hope is that the farmers and their families who were denied access to USDA loans and programs will be made whole and will have the chance to rebuild their lives and their businesses," he said.

I'm confused.... it appears that this is a open court case that needs to be settled. Don't we own them a settlement, b/c the court decided that or was leaning that way in the past (prior) administration (Clinton's I believe)? I don't like hearing reverse racism anymore than yal, but this is kind of looking for reason to get angry. Don't put that kind of effort into looking for upseting print, its in our face everyday!:twocents:

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I'm confused.... it appears that this is a open court case that needs to be settled. Don't we own them a settlement, b/c the court decided that or was leaning that way in the past (prior) administration (Clinton's I believe)? I don't like hearing reverse racism anymore than yal, but this is kind of looking for reason to get angry. Don't put that kind of effort into looking for upseting print, its in our face everyday!:twocents:

There has been one settlement already paid out. This re-opening of this suit is for the farmers who supposedly either didn't know of the original suit, felt they didn't get enough money from the original settlement, or were denied consideration because their claims weren't relevant to the case

Here's the black farmer's website:
    National Black Farmers Association

Notice the originator is a doctor, in northern Virginia, and the huge majority of the farmers were and are in the far south. I'm afraid all this is more government welfare. The original suit may have had merit, but this is just plain ol' laziness, greed, and redistribution.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Since then, other farmers have pushed to reopen the case because they missed deadlines for filing. Many said they didn't know that damages were available

Translation: The bank window is open. Everyone get in line for your money.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    [OFF TOPIC]
    Wow Dryden who is that in your avatar?

[ON TOPIC]
    @ Sarge
    Be careful what you wish for. You may not come back from that I6BO summer camp.

@ Irish/Italian poster
    Did you not hear. If you are not a lazy, welfare leach then you are guility of some type of discrimination and so you must pay be wealth re-distribution. So either a) stop working hard and get on the social milk wagon or b) join sarge in the re-education summer camp.
    ;)

Top Bottom