Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Obama appoints Cameron Davis as Great Lakes czar

By JOHN FLESHER
    AP Environmental Writer | Thursday, June 04, 2009

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. | President Barack Obama has named Cameron Davis, president of a Chicago-based environmentalist group, to oversee the administration's initiative to clean up the Great Lakes.

Davis is president of the Alliance for the Great Lakes, one of the organizations that has lobbied for implementation of a restoration program expected to cost more than $20 billion.

The alliance announced the appointment Wednesday.

Davis will coordinate efforts of about a dozen federal agencies working on the Great Lakes project, which deals with issues such as invasive species, polluted harbors, sewage overflows and degraded wildlife habitat.

Obama promised during his campaign last year to create such a position. His proposed 2010 budget seeks $475 million in new spending on the lakes.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I really hate the use of the word "czar" to refer to a person in authority, especially because it has its roots in Russian tyrants. Oh well, I guess it's just more Marxism from the current administration.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    What we need now is a czar czar to organize all the czars. I remember when Ronald Reagan showed a stack of papers representing all the federal programs Jimmy Carter had implemented, and then showed another one that was created just to keep track of them. Obama is making Carter look like a proponent of small government!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Oh well, I guess it's just more Marxism from the current administration.

Actually, you can blame the media for that. Those officials always have an actual (usually long, boring) title, but the media almost immediately dubs them the XYZ "czar" out of convenience, to be cute (the "car czar"), and/or because they have no appreciation for where the word actually comes from.

Interestingly, Wikipedia attributes the first use of the term in US politics (the "drug czar") to a 1982 news story quoting Joe Biden...
    Drug Czar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "drug czar's" actual title is Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

Top Bottom