• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Another Oakley lover here...also had LASIK on the eyes nearly 4 years ago. No regression, 20/20, no regrets. My most recent (and still current) pair are some Polarized Oakley Crosshair 2.0's.

picture.php

I love them. Great coverage and great color. The styling looks like an updated aviator, to me.

And now...yours truly gets to play a model. Oh the vanity! :laugh:

Camera 1:
    picture.php

Camera 2:
    picture.php

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Another Oakley lover here...also had LASIK on the eyes nearly 4 years ago. No regression, 20/20, no regrets. My most recent (and still current) pair are some Polarized Oakley Crosshair 2.0's.

picture.php

I love them. Great coverage and great color. The styling looks like an updated aviator, to me.

And now...yours truly gets to play a model. Oh the vanity! :laugh:

Camera 1:
    picture.php

Camera 2:
    picture.php

I have thought about getting a set like those. I have started with the M Frame and then last year got the half jacket XJS. I like those, and love being able to change out the lens for inside to outside. How are these? Are they able to swap the lens?

digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I have thought about getting a set like those. I have started with the M Frame and then last year got the half jacket XJS. I like those, and love being able to change out the lens for inside to outside. How are these? Are they able to swap the lens?

I don't think they're intended to be swapped on the Crosshairs, but I believe there were 2 or 3 lens colors when I picked my pair out. If you have a small screwdriver, then you could loosen the frame to swap them out...assuming you were able to buy the other lens color(s) separately.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I don't think they're intended to be swapped on the Crosshairs, but I believe there were 2 or 3 lens colors when I picked my pair out. If you have a small screwdriver, then you could loosen the frame to swap them out...assuming you were able to buy the other lens color(s) separately.

Yea, I was about 95% sure that they wouldnt switch out, but i was hoping. I do love how they look, but I like using my for shades and shooting lens, so looks like Ill be holding off on those for now anyway. Thanks

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no kidding, my wife just scored a pair of real Half Jacket XLJ w/ polarized lenses at a yard sale today for............ a quarter!

yup! $0.25!

The people selling them must have thought they were kids glasses as they were in a stack of kids stuff on a table. No bag/vault/box, but they are the real deal!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    no kidding, my wife just scored a pair of real Half Jacket XLJ w/ polarized lenses at a yard sale today for............ a quarter!

yup! $0.25!

The people selling them must have thought they were kids glasses as they were in a stack of kids stuff on a table. No bag/vault/box, but they are the real deal!
    I'll give you $2.50 for them... :D

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I finally bought a new pair of Oakley's, been wearing a Flak Jackets for the last several years. I tried a pair of Fast Jackets on and liked that they were a little larger then the Flak by smaller then the Radar.

4db9f57b27810.jpg

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I ordered a pair of polarized Flak Jacket XLJ's the other day. Now I just have to wait for them to come off of backorder.:(

I finally bought a new pair of Oakley's, been wearing a Flak Jackets for the last several years. I tried a pair of Fast Jackets on and liked that they were a little larger then the Flak by smaller then the Radar.

4db9f57b27810.jpg

I was going to get these, but they weren't available through www.usstandardissue.com and I didn't want to pay retail price.:dunno:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I just can't understand paying that much for sunglasses... Maybe because I've never paid that much... I normally make do in the $20-$30 range... I did own a nice pair of Gargoyles at one point, but they died a horrible death (yes, they will stop a .22LR bullet, no they will not survive being stomped on in the middle of beating the tar out of an irresponsible teenager that forgot Rule #1)

What are the tangible benefits of the higher end sunglasses? I've never been able to notice any drastic distortion on my cheapies, my mall kiosk knockoffs work just fine for me. (I can't remember what mine now are copies of, but not Oakley... some other high end brand).

I have light colored eyes sensitive to sunlight, so ever since I got contacts when I was a teenager, sunglasses are a must, but I don't understand the benefit of the high-end models when not in tactical, life-or-death situations. I wear safety glasses under the car, metalworking, and yellow or amber shooting glasses at the range (usually, yes, not 100%, slap my hand now).

Maybe I'd have to have a pair to get it.... Anyone want to donate? :D

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I just can't understand paying that much for sunglasses... Maybe because I've never paid that much... I normally make do in the $20-$30 range... I did own a nice pair of Gargoyles at one point, but they died a horrible death (yes, they will stop a .22LR bullet, no they will not survive being stomped on in the middle of beating the tar out of an irresponsible teenager that forgot Rule #1)

What are the tangible benefits of the higher end sunglasses? I've never been able to notice any drastic distortion on my cheapies, my mall kiosk knockoffs work just fine for me. (I can't remember what mine now are copies of, but not Oakley... some other high end brand).

I have light colored eyes sensitive to sunlight, so ever since I got contacts when I was a teenager, sunglasses are a must, but I don't understand the benefit of the high-end models when not in tactical, life-or-death situations. I wear safety glasses under the car, metalworking, and yellow or amber shooting glasses at the range (usually, yes, not 100%, slap my hand now).

I used to wear the cheap glasses, cause I figured if they broke i wouldn't be out too much money. That was until I was getting ready to ship out. I got a set of Oakley's in 2003. I have not had a set of Oakley's broken yet. I had one set that stopped shrapnel. I know they also have the anti glare in the lens as well, in case you are worried about being out in the field and "flashing". As for not using them for the tactical things. I have 2 sets that I wear for tactical, and instead of getting another set of glasses, I just use those. Although, I have to say with both sets, I'd spent about 100, maybe 150 with the shades and then clear lens so I can use them on the ranges as well as at night. I know some people that wear them for biking, so if a rock flies up, they don't have to worry. Or other active sports as well. As with most gear, why buy 2 or 3 times when you can buy it once and not have to do anymore.
    In case you are wondering, I picked up the second set to see if I liked how they looked better, not cause anything had gone with the first set. I still use those from time to time, as I love them glasses.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What are the tangible benefits of the higher end sunglasses?

Very good question.

IMO, the higher end sunglasses offer these benefits over the "cheapies".

• Comfort - even during extended wear
    • Clarity - not just being clear under ideal conditions, but also after rain, smudges, sweat, etc
    • Resistance to wear - don't scratch as easily, nose pieces and frame don't bend/warp
    • Status symbol - most don't want to admit it but enjoy wearing a recognizable brand
    • Safety ratings - can double as range glasses due to ANSI ratings
    • After purchase support - can always find parts/repair resources, warranty
    • Style - often the style standard that the cheapies attempt to copy

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I thought the same thing. I never would have even considered buying sunglasses at that price.

Until I tried a pair on.

After buying my first pair of Oakleys, I can never use cheap sunglasses again. There is a HUGE difference.

Top Bottom