Not open for further replies.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    kerosene heater is also a good idea.
    kerosene is easy to store but sounds like u may have access to lots of wood in your area.
    or those propane heaters is alos good.
    you want a backup to the backup to the backup.

+1 on a mechanice snow helper.
    we all think we are young as strong like we once were but let the machines do the work its so much eaiser.

I do have a kerosene infrared heater. Rated 70kbtu and super efficient. I love it, but no way am I bringing that in the house unless it's my last option. I do have a couple propane ice fishing tent heaters (infrared burner things that sit on top of the tank).

I also have two acres of trees. I've cut up fallen trees and set fires that burn for days. I'd rather use that wood, than just burning it to get it gone. Two acres isn't much, but I figure it's plenty for sporadic usage.

I have few things that truly make me sweat from fear. One is losing power and basement flooding (happened before, lost many items of value) another is losing power and heat. I HATE HATE HATE the cold. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate being cold. If we lost power or the furnace crapped out, I don't have enough backup systems to easily maintain a habitable temperature indoors. Well, I might... but I hope to never find out. If furnace dies and I still have gas service, I do have two wall mounted ventless fireplaces in the attached garage that could probably keep the house warm if I rigged up a few box fans to move the air into the house. I'd just like a more permanent solution. Like my redundant sump pits/pumps with redundant battery backup systems.

I'm plenty young and capable of shoveling, I've always argued that in the time I can shovel my driveway, I would save none with a snowblower. Which is true if snowfall is 2-3" or less. I can start in the middle, push the snow to the sides, then one pass on each side scooping and tosssing the snow and I'm done. Takes no time at all. Snowblower I would need to make a pass for every 24" or whatever size and would take more time than shoving snow 4 ft in each direction before coming back along to toss it.

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've got 4 clients setup for tomorrow soooo if they show up I'll be at work too....

The wind is really blowing now....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @dan
    you wont be young forever.
    yes i can still outbeat my blower when the snow is light but its better to preserver the body for other stuff.

as for the propane heater growing up we have one that my parents would run in the basement of our house.
    never an issue with it burning the house down.
    in japan those heaters are the primary source of heat for many homes/apts.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    So today I drank the cool-aid and upgraded my slider phone to a smart phone.
    I had my samsung gravity for like 4 or 5 years. I got an iPhone 5s today.
    Now to wait for Jedi to disown me as a north of 30 thug :lmfao: :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Great Googley Moogley.
    Just got home. That was fun. (NO purple).
    I like it.
    I love it.
    I want some more of it.

After layering up in my 0 degree clothes, I ventured all the way to the gate, only to realize I left my gate card in my work pants.
    So I trudged back to the washhouse. Not quite as easy, it was into the 45 mph headwind. The wind had already erased my footprints I just made.
    Still, I was warm and happy.
    Around 12 degrees I think, but the wind was stepping up.
    Wind just about knocked me on my can twice.

Then I some 2WD guy in front of me on Broadway pulled onto a side street that had drifted.
    Tried a little digging with a folding shovel. And tried to push.
    No success.
    Yeah!!!!!!!
    Time to break out the new tow strap.
    Lickety split. Worked great.
    Gary PD stopped traffic for me.

I'll be at work too. Somebody has to keep the work ethic alive.

Amen brother.

I've got about 37542 loads of laundry to fold and hang up. Does that count?

Nope. I have to do laundry tonight. Didn't do it on my one day off, and now I'm outta towels.

I'm playing it by ear tomorrow morning before I make any final decision on going to work or not. I also only get 12 PTO days per year, I like to use them somewhat wisely.

Maybe the boss will cancel the work day??????

Nope. I will be heading in to work. Luckily only 15 minute drive to work. What sucks is I don't have awd or 4x4.

My Ford Escape is the first AWD vehicle I've ever had, and I'm NEVER going back.
    AWD or 4WD from now on.

I'm going in and if my relief calls off there will be hell to pay...period. Sick of people calling off cause its too cold or too snowy. You think i want to be there for my shift and yours? GTFO

Amen to that also. My crew is down to 4 guys, cause 1 just retired. I understood the guy not coming in this weather when he was almost retired. The other guys...... around my age, similar vehicles. Actually, two guys have BETTER vehicles. And yet I'm the guy to make it in.

I am so F'n sick of that place, I'm looking for jobs on the internet lately.

I've got 4 clients setup for tomorrow soooo if they show up I'll be at work too....

The wind is really blowing now....

News said 45 mph when I left.
    I know a couple gust about lifted me up and knocked me down.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So today I drank the cool-aid and upgraded my slider phone to a smart phone.
    I had my samsung gravity for like 4 or 5 years. I got an iPhone 5s today.
    Now to wait for Jedi to disown me as a north of 30 thug :lmfao: :D

you traitor!!!!!!!
    how could you, you are now lower than pond scum.
    pack your bags and move south of us-30 with the rednecks.
    and to think we gave you the social event coordinator gig.
    good grief. :puke:

this is the fault of you apple lovers on the board
    you corrupt his mind...

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    start saving for the snowblower as your body will eventually want it.

my neighbor got a new snowblower this year... they were outside yesterday early in the morning for over an hour... waking me up... then again this morning, for over an hour... after about 30 minutes i got out of bed to look out the window.

what was he doing? using his snowblower to attempt to scrape the ice and blow the light dusting of snow off the driveway...

:bash:

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    man i was going home tonight from work (didnt take an hour and a half like friday) and on IN 39 south just outside LP there was one spot i was lucky enough that the opposite side of the road was clear as the drift was higher than my truck...other than that one spot it wasn't too bad driving home other than the occasional wind blowing making me slow down to 20mph (i averaged about 40mph the whole way)

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Just a wee bit nipple-y out this morning. Yuck. Two layers of pants, Under Armour cold gear longsleeve shirt, work shirt, hoodie & my coat. Two pairs of socks, hat, gloves (I need new ones, my "ski" gloves aren't as warm as they once were), scarf. I am on my way to work, made it to the train with no problem, and so far, it seems to be running on time.

I can't wait for winter to be over!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I called off tomorrow to go to the Doctor. I've had a sinus infection, but now I want to make sure it is not getting into my lungs. Chest has been a bit tight this weekend. I don't need pneumonia again.
    Sounds like a nice cigar will clear you right up and get you back to work again.

kerosene heater is also a good idea.
    kerosene is easy to store but sounds like u may have access to lots of wood in your area.
    or those propane heaters is alos good.
    you want a backup to the backup to the backup.

I do have a kerosene infrared heater. Rated 70kbtu and super efficient. I love it, but no way am I bringing that in the house unless it's my last option. . .
    Dan, smart man. No need to warm your house AND die of carbon monoxide from either the heater's output or the flames of your home as it burns down.

Leave the Kero and propane heaters IN THE GARAGE where it is drafty enough to safely use them.

Back up to back up is good, but don't be dumb about it and take unnecessary risks.

No sump pump at my house, its elevated 60' up a ridge line over a creek. No kerosene heaters either, I've got 3 fireplaces now, one is a high heat output N.G. unit, the other two are wood/NG. Fireplace heat is not very comfortable (hot close to it, cold away from it) but it will work. I was out of power about 17 years ago in similar weather, used the fireplaces for the first couple of days to keep the house from freezing. Got together with a couple neighbors on day 4 and we rigged up large welders to power our houses as generators because none of us had a generator at the time of the outage. We were out for 8 days. It was a HUGE pain in the ... to feed gasoline into the welders ... taught me quickly the need for flexibility and I installed a Tri-Fuel generator right after that storm.

You might ask why we waited until day 4? Well that was because we were snowed in until late on day 3. County doesn't plow our road. The county plow truck fell off the road into the ditch at the entrance to our road and blocked both the county road and our private road. Which also answer the question why I have a big a$$ snowblower on the rear of my diesel tractor that will clear a lane in 2 passes.

When you need this stuff you need it REALLY REALLY BADLY, and it may sit unused for long periods and seem like wasted investment, but then the time rolls around when you NEED it again. Sort of like 4x4 drive. Really only use it about 10 days a year, most years. And probably can live without it 7 of those 10 days. But . . .

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We've got a NG backup generator, but for some reason last night I was obsessing about the furnace going out. We don't have any kind of space heaters, but we've got a gas stove and two electric toaster ovens.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We've got a NG backup generator, but for some reason last night I was obsessing about the furnace going out. We don't have any kind of space heaters, but we've got a gas stove and two electric toaster ovens.
    Might want to buy a heater (or maybe 2) that is sufficient to keep one of your rooms at a semi-comfortable temperature.

The proper way to use them to heat up the one room you are in (door closed) and stay mainly in that room. From time to time take it into your kitchen or bathroom, open the cabinet doors where the plumbing pipes are located, and warm up those rooms to prevent the pipes from freezing. Keep ALL your doors closed so you are not heating the spare bedrooms, etc with the small heater.

Electric heaters are not very efficient, but can create a lot of warmth in a pinch if you don't ask them to heat the whole house.

Just a wee bit nipple-y out this morning. Yuck. Two layers of pants, Under Armour cold gear longsleeve shirt, work shirt, hoodie & my coat. Two pairs of socks, hat, gloves (I need new ones, my "ski" gloves aren't as warm as they once were), scarf. I am on my way to work, made it to the train with no problem, and so far, it seems to be running on time.

I can't wait for winter to be over!

:rockwoot: I love winter. My favorite season of the year :rockwoot:

As the Swedes like to say: Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    you traitor!!!!!!!
    how could you, you are now lower than pond scum.
    pack your bags and move south of us-30 with the rednecks.
    and to think we gave you the social event coordinator gig.
    good grief. :puke:

this is the fault of you apple lovers on the board
    you corrupt his mind...

Are you kidding me? He's in Cal Township, that's more thug than you are in Griffith. quit sniveling and go to work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom