• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    As a teacher, in the last few years before I retired, we had to have a note from a Dr. if we missed more than 2 days in a row.
    As someone who had perfect attendance many school years I thought it insulting, but funny, b/c people would take off 2 days for being sick, instead of the one needed.
    Before I knew about this rule, since I rarely called in sick for a day, after being out for 2 weeks b/c of surgery, I went back to school, and was sent home b/c I didn't have a note from the Dr. to be able to return. :D
    I laughed the whole time I was off that day, getting a Dr.'s note to go back to school like I was a kid that could be faking it.

Another time when I had been out really really sick for a couple of days, they reminded me to get a Dr.'s note before I returned.
    I was going back to school the next day, but the Dr. said I should stay home for 2-3 more day.
    So I did (I had 180 sick days saved up anyway). :dunno:

We don't even get 2 days. If we call off just one shift, we must "justify" it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We don't even get 2 days. If we call off just one shift, we must "justify" it.

Since alot of people don't want to pay for a Dr. visit, I'll bet alot show up sick sneezing, coughing or worse, all day long.
    Been there and done that, even when Dr. visits were built into my insurance.
    As I aged, about 10 yrs. before retirement, I learned to take that "extra" day off when sick or whatever you had would just hang on it seemed.
    I knew a friend who drove a bread truck: you got 2 days sick leave a year. Period.
    The manager had to do your route, so he just went to work sick.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I worked outside in all kinds of weather and hardly ever got sick. Except for the time my baby gave me the chicken pox.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    All they particularly care about here is having a body to fill a role. You could come in dying of pneumonia and they'll just shrug their shoulders and say "Ok cool" Anywhere else I've worked would make you leave and see a doctor or at least just go home and rest and come back when you're feeling better.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You go to work sick so you can take a day off and do something fun when you feel good.

Or you go to work sick so you dont get written up. If I were to take 3 days off in a quarter I would get a letter of caution or a reprimand if I were to take any additional days off the next quarter.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Since alot of people don't want to pay for a Dr. visit, I'll bet alot show up sick sneezing, coughing or worse, all day long.
    Been there and done that, even when Dr. visits were built into my insurance.
    As I aged, about 10 yrs. before retirement, I learned to take that "extra" day off when sick or whatever you had would just hang on it seemed.
    I knew a friend who drove a bread truck: you got 2 days sick leave a year. Period.
    The manager had to do your route, so he just went to work sick.

mill workers get ZERO sick days.
    another reason we show up sick

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I hear a lot about how terribly Jeff Bezos treats his employees. I worked for Amazon and I call bull. We got a competitive wage for the industry, decent insurance, and right out of the gate we started with a week of vacation, 3 personal days, plus we racked up more vacation hours and personal time throughout the year. I'd say he treats his employees quite amicably. The only people who ever have anything bad to say about the guy(as a CEO, his personal matters are something else) are people who got fired for good cause and people who never worked there. Saruman the White and The Maharaja could learn a thing or two from the guy, I think.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    WOW! Some of you guys really do work in a "salt mine!"
    Teachers do have it lucky in that regard, as long as you follow the rules you cannot be fired for taking sick leave.

I had perfect attendance many many years of my 5 different decades of teaching (from 1974 to 2018).
    But, b/c of a defective left leg, I would get infection periodically and be in the hospital for 5 days and as I got older, a few more days at home.

After FMLA came into being, I use that to protect me from the days going against my attendance record, the Dr. would clear me from work.
    I could even use FMLA for family & when my wife had her bypasses, I could miss days as needed and it was no problem.
    You could use your sick days saved up, but no pay if you had used yours (most teachers saved a "bank" of sick days for a big emergencies like I did).

If it wasn't for serious health issues, instead of 160 days that I was paid out for unused sick days (& unused personal days), I would have had over 300 days.
    In my last few years, my health wasn't as good so I lost alot of days.
    And, we got 3 personal days a year we could take off for anything (no questions asked).
    I would use a day only when a friend or family would come from out of State to visit unexpectedly (traveling through).

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thinking about a road trip to Winamac tomorrow morning. Need to sight in my 6.5 creedmoor and 450 bushmaster pistol build I completed

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    WOW! Some of you guys really do work in a "salt mine!"
    Teachers do have it lucky in that regard, as long as you follow the rules you cannot be fired for taking sick leave.

I had perfect attendance many many years of my 5 different decades of teaching (from 1974 to 2018).
    But, b/c of a defective left leg, I would get infection periodically and be in the hospital for 5 days and as I got older, a few more days at home.

After FMLA came into being, I use that to protect me from the days going against my attendance record, the Dr. would clear me from work.
    I could even use FMLA for family & when my wife had her bypasses, I could miss days as needed and it was no problem.
    You could use your sick days saved up, but no pay if you had used yours (most teachers saved a "bank" of sick days for a big emergencies like I did).

If it wasn't for serious health issues, instead of 160 days that I was paid out for unused sick days (& unused personal days), I would have had over 300 days.
    In my last few years, my health wasn't as good so I lost alot of days.
    And, we got 3 personal days a year we could take off for anything (no questions asked).
    I would use a day only when a friend or family would come from out of State to visit unexpectedly (traveling through).

Because I have 28 years, I get 5 weeks vacation.
    I can use up to 2 weeks as "single day" vacations, or "days off".
    BUT!!!
    A "week" of single days, is only 5 days.
    And, I need to request those days at least a week in advance.
    So, unless you plan your illness.
    Though, they can be granted on a last minute basis, on a case by case basis.
    I have yet to see one granted that way.

So, in 2019, one of my few 40 hour weeks, I only achieved by taking THREE v-days.
    Yup, THREE v-days meant I still had 40 hours.
    Ugh.

Though I do love money in the bank.
    And I will love it even more if I leave the company in 3 years, and go find something else.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Speaking of salt mines and work and all that ... anyone interested in a firefighting career? Under 35? We're hiring. PM me for details.

What area if you dont mind my asking? My son in law is firefighter/emt. He worked Merrillville for quite a few years but they have since moved out to the Rochester area and he is currently just doing the Emt job. He misses working fire

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Speaking of salt mines and work and all that ... anyone interested in a firefighting career? Under 35? We're hiring. PM me for details.
    Always enjoy seeing talk of working in the salt mines. Was a volunteer firefighter and instructor for over 12 years. Some of them went on to work on career and volunteer positions.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    All packed up for Winamac tomorrow. Loaded up some 6.5 creedmoor ammo to test out in the TC Compass. 5 different weight loads to try with a few variations of each. Try those out once I have the scope sighted in
    Taking that and my 18" and 10.5" 450 bushmaster Ars and almost forgot I had another 223 Ar I built at the end of the year I haven't shot yet.
    So 3 to dial in and one just for the hell of it.

Probably head that way between 9 and 9:30. By the time I get there should be mid 40's for temps. That wont be to shabby

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom