• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My current high is a Ruger 22/45 with over 5K rounds through it. I'm sure it will be way past 10k before I'm done with it. I'm not a competitor, but .22s are great for allowing more range time and rounds downrange.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    Competitors burn the rounds really fast. Say you shoot a match every weekend, and you practice once a week, you can easily burn 300-500 per week. Competition is addictive. You will work hard for each additional point. You will let your yard landscaping suffer, you will leave your guitars collecting dust, you forget about television, movies, ballgames. Your eat, drink and sleep shooting.

Heaven help you if you start winning in your classification. You start striving to earn the next classification, and the next one after that. You start traveling to bigger matches. more shooting. More and faster reloading presses appear on the tables in the garage where you don't even pull the car in anymore. Powder starts coming to the house two or four kegs at a time.

So true...

I know in the last three years I was shooting USPSA, I'd be shooting 2-3 matches a month (100-150 per match) 8 months a year and burning 200-300 a week in practice during those months against a timer, doing all kinds of drills. Adding that up conservatively is 6400 per year all from my G35 but I know my last year I went through 12 1000 count primer boxes trying to boost my classification...Of course this was back in the day (15 or so years ago) that a 500 count box of lead bullets was around 15 dollars and primers were 9-12 bucks per 1k... winning 20-30 bucks at these local matches was the norm and a father that helped feed my addiction was priceless!!! Thanks DAD!

Now I have moved on to rifles shooting just for fun at distance and burn through at least 1500 large rifle primers a year... :patriot:

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    My .22 pistol I would hate to guess the round count on!!! My oldest Glock 35 I used on SWAT and played around shooting steel with has a ton thru it, I quit counting when i broke 10,000 rds, I would guess it is pushing close to twice that thru it by now with only standard maintence.
    Most of my rounds going down range now are either thru the .22pistol or a early third gen Glock 17

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have been keeping track:

My AR had 5500-ish through it when I sold in toward my M1A.

My M1A has had 100 rounds put through it.

My previous 1911 (Springfield) was pushing 4000 rounds (3 years), my "new" 1911 ( Colt, this time) has had 800 rounds through it.

My best? My M&P 15-22 gets 4-8 magazines (100-200 rounds) put through it (almost) each weekend, and it is up over 7500 rounds at this point.

My others?

Uberti 1873 Cattleman: 0 rounds.
    Beretta 92FS: 200 rounds
    Glock 20: 30 rounds (Dollar a round!)
    Bersa Thunder 380: fewer than 100 rounds (lives in my toolbox)
    Sig226: 400 rounds

Henry GoldenBoy: A little over 1000 rounds
    Sig556 Patrolman's carbine: fewer than 300 rounds.

I love to shoot my .22s, and my .45 ACPs...the rest are just to sooth my collector/enthusiast bug ( read: Ego)

-Paul

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I shot 1,000 rounds just in one weekend earlier this month, but I was in a two day self-defense firearms training class.

I normally don't shoot that much. I probably have 7,000 rounds downrange, though. I consider that very little.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    From a local gun instructor's newsletter; he has an M&P Full-size 9mm with 10,000 rounds through it.

Thats crazy that he has exactly 10,000 rounds! I would have thought 9,872 or 10,138, but exactly 10,000 is really impressive.

That being said, unless you are a competitive shooter and have a frame of reference, i take round counts with a grain of salt. If I was selling I'd make up some BS number -because buyers want numbers-, but I have no idea how many rounds I've shot.

Too busy having fun to count.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you reload it is pretty easy to get a guess-timate. For example, I buy 15,000 shotgun primers every fall, I have done that since '90, when I started shooting trap. Some years I will run out, some years I may have a couple thousand left. If I keep a gun 5 years before trading it in, you can kind of figure roughly how many I put through it. It gets fuzzy when you have three shooters in the house, but you know that none of my trap guns are "low round count"

My Match rifles have a log book with every round counted. The last thing I want to do is go to the nationals with a barrel that has 4,000 plus rounds through it and start having unexplained fliers costing points.

Top Bottom