• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm not a big fan of the NRA myself, but they are better than nothing. I had let my subscription expire a few years back, but signed up again earlier this year when they offered a $25 bass pro gift card in return for a $25 membership fee. I also donate money to them through local raffles, and at the NRA banquet for the last few years.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Basiclly they are another group bribing and corrupting our government, we just happen to like what they generally support. I'm not if favor of giving up the first to protect the second. I'm more inclined to use the 2nd to protect the first. But, look them up, see what you say. I wont give money to Reid among other issues, so I can't get behind them. Whatever you decide, do it because you think is right and not because a bunch of folks from the internet told you to.

Check them out:xkcd: IN UR REALITY
    in_ur_reality.png

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A prior poster made the point that he thought the NRA was sending the endowment membership because because my father was either really old or dead. I just made the statement that they have no reason to believe that. After 2.5 years, they are still sending me the American Rifleman magazine for him.

I don't believe that the NRA has my birthday on file, so I agree that they didn't know your father's age. A lot of other folks, including INGO demand a date of birth. Heck, Midway sends me a birthday discount every year. The NRA will probably continue to send the magazine until someone tells them that he has passed. How else would they know?

The NRA does send life members "offers" to upgrade their memberships, sometimes at a discount. Many old timers, like me and apparently your dad were and are NRA hard-liners and give extra from time-to-time. I'm sorry that your father passed at such an early age. We might have seen some things eye-to-eye.

I'm not a big fan of the way so many organizations play us to get donations. The fact is that these mailings do work. I have been told by an NRA insider that the mailings result in 1/3 of the recipients responding. The NRA also doesn't use the money they get from the donations to send out more mail, but just use the interest they get from the donations. I just got a dime in the mail today from the "March of Dimes". I got a nickel in the mail the other day from some other organization. They give out these coins playing the guilt card and if I run these envelopes through the shredder without removing the coins...Well I don't want to think about it. I get calendars from organizations that hope that I will feel obligated to donate. Yeah, I'm on the sucker list. The sad part is that nearly all the organizations are worthwhile. The wife and I keep the coins and calendars. We donate at a set time every year to several causes, and give what we feel we can.

Having been around for a while and having seen the impact of the 68 GCA and some progress, especially with CCW and some court rulings, in recent years, I suppose I'll keep giving and volunteering. The NRA does a lot more than lobby, too, but everyone knows that don't they? I don't have anything against anyone who wants to join other pro-gun groups, but the NRA does have the numbers and therefore the clout. "There is strength in numbers." Any gun owner who isn't a member of any pro-gun organization because they don't fully support their views, is using that as an excuse to cop out IMHO.

I don't always like the sermon or music where I worship. Sometimes the little kids really get loud. I also am completely surrounded by sinners, and really don't like a few of them. I'll probably keep attending, because on the whole I agree with what's going on. I am also told that there is no place better for sinners to be and that believers should participate in fellowship.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hmmm

If you don't mind sleazy, car dealer like tactics to raise cash, then you might be ok with them.

I don't know about the sleazy part. How would you prefer that they raise the funds to do the advocacy work that they do at the state and federal legislative level? Would you have them work for free while they attempt to save your 2nd amendment rights? Have a bake sale, maybe? I can't spend 5 or even 2 days a week in DC bit chin' out my Senators and Congressman so I pay them to do it. Can you say DC-vs- Heller? Can you say AWB sunsetting?

I'm sure if you called them and told them that your father is deceased they would stop sending you that horrible free magazine that you steal every month. Eventually. It takes a few days to get the process through the system. And if the NFA stuff trips your trigger buy a membership and let 'em know you want them to work on NFA improvements in out favor.

They are a bunch of guys and gals who believe in what they're doing, IMHO and I did the easy pay life membership several years ago. :rockwoot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    After 2.5 years, they are still sending me the American Rifleman magazine for him.

horn, did you call the NRA and tell them to cancel the magazine.

I don't understand what is so sleazy? The NRA is offering a substantial discount on the next level of membership. What's so underhanded about that?:dunno:

in my opinion they are just as corrupt as any other lobbiest group

How is the NRA corrupt?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'll be keeping my membership but I do get annoyed with the donation things every other week(sometimes twice a week). I figure it is the best option we have right now so I might as well give what little I can when I can.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    More NRA bashing. Grant you, they have probably overextended themselves in all their different approaches to make money. But all in all they are THE organization that fights for OUR 2nd Amendment rights. By their count, 4 million members can't be all wrong. Ok, let's just say 3 million. Still an impressive membership base. And I am proud to be called a member. Have been for most of my adult life.

If you don't like what they send you in the mail, then there are ways to rectify that instead of waiting until you get something you don't like and then starting a thread bashing them. I mean, come on, just throw it away. Cancel your membership. Join another group who you could then start bashing them. It,s probably not going to change with them, almost all organizations are looking and trying different approaches to raise capital. OK, I'm done with my 2 cents on this.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    When I became power of attorney for my parents, I had their mail redirected to my house. They must have gotten my address from the post office as they started sending it to my address with his name on it. I just recently moved and right now, it is redirected from my old address. I did not include his name on my address change form. I don't owe them anything. I haven't sent a single item to them to act as though he is still alive.

Why I believe the "check" is sleazy is if they want to give a $700 discount on an endowment membership, just say so. Don't send me a gimmick "check" like car dealers do. I will donate what I feel led to donate to whichever cause I want to. NRA's tactics are akin to a church passing the offering plate however many times necessary to get their desired donation.

I was an NRA member for 1 year. In that year, I easily got more junk mail than what my membership cost. Guilt tripping doesn't work with me. I think NRA wants true 2nd amendment rights as much as Jackson/Sharpton want true equality. Once achieved, what happens to them?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    What a bunch of cry babies. Sure, the NRA is not perfect, but it is the most influential pro-second amendment organization.

Go ahead and cancel your memberships. Paul Helmke and Sarah Brady thank you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't send me a gimmick "check" like car dealers do.

But you knew what it was immediately. There was no confusion, no intent to mislead.

Did the check get your attention? If so did not the advertisement work?

I easily got more junk mail than what my membership cost.

You can call and have the solicitations stopped.

I think NRA wants true 2nd amendment rights as much as Jackson/Sharpton want true equality. Once achieved, what happens to them?

The NRA goes back to hunter safety, shooting instructor development, fighting for hunting rights, and competition which is the vast majority of its budget.

What happens to GOA or JPFO? Do they have ulterior motives as well? Since GOA and JPFO have only a Second Amendment focus, are not their motives even MORE suspect?

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    it is interesting when people bash the NRA, then when a gun club gets closed or some law to limit our right to keep and bear arms gets passed every body says CALL THE NRA..... you would not be carrying now if it was not for the NRA..... you are the hippocrates

Top Bottom