Notice required in IN before they do an "inspection" on rental unit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    The place I'm at has a note up saying sometime during the month they will be doing apparently a random inspection no matter if we are home or not. Is this legal?

I've never been at a place that did something like this. They would give us our 24/48 hours notice and tell us when they were coming. That way we know when they are coming.

I have 2 cats that always try to get out and explore. I also don't want people randomly at my place. I certainly don't want to come home to find someone in my home and have to explain why they just saw I have a firearm or if I didn't hear them knock but wake to find someone in my home (worst case scenario IMO).

What is the law on this? Can they just randomly come over some day since they posted a note on a wall about coming in some time.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    They've given notice. They are also putting themselves at risk if they come in your apartment or house without you there. I had one landlord that refused to change their schedule to inspect when I would be both there, and awake. I informed her that it would be a damn shame if I had to report to the police that a firearm had been stolen while they were in my apartment. As for the awake part... I told her I sleep nekkid, and with a gun under my pillow. If she startled me awake, did she really want the last thing she saw to be a hairy, naked fat man?

She didn't like me much, but became somewhat more willing to bargain with me on a mutually acceptable time. I was a little surprised we had such a fight. All my other landlords had been willing to work with me. We might both have to bend some, but we had always been able to make each other happy.

Landlord like to make sure their property isn't being trashed. With apartment buildings, such inspections are often the result of a potential buyer wanting to inspect the property (these can be the hardest to work with, but I've always been able to get at least some kind of specific notice), sometimes it's for bug spraying. For the latter, apt managers or landlords will often provide a schedule, especially if properly motivated to do so. They've got their rights and obligations, also, and it helps with negotionas to see things from their point of view.

BTW... what does your lease say about the matter?

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    The lese says 15. Signs and Inspection; Repairs. Lessor, by it's authorized agents, shall have the right at all reasonable times to enter the leased premises and inspect the same and to show the same to prospective tennants or purchasers.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The lese says 15. Signs and Inspection; Repairs. Lessor, by it's authorized agents, shall have the right at all reasonable times to enter the leased premises and inspect the same and to show the same to prospective tennants or purchasers.

There ya go... so long as they come in at a reasonable time, you've agreed that they can enter. Doesn't say anything about you being required to be there.

Still, if you chat with your landlord, perhaps you can get them to give you better notice than "some time this month."

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    I called and they said they didn't have a problem giving me 24 hours notice which is good enough for me. If I know what day to expect someone in my house I can easily deal with that.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The place I'm at has a note up saying sometime during the month they will be doing apparently a random inspection no matter if we are home or not. Is this legal?

I've never been at a place that did something like this. They would give us our 24/48 hours notice and tell us when they were coming. That way we know when they are coming.

Might be a good time to read the rental agreement you signed.

Top Bottom