• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    No career change but I may consider working for I-EMS part-time. My class has 11 students, all officers on either SWAT or EOD. We are doing it voluntarily so that we can do more than just request EMS through control if something happens. I would love to go to paramedic school but don't think my family or bosses would be too keen on it.

That's awesome. That's initially why I did it, because I want to do LE and I feel it would be great to have someone like you on the scene as opposed to Jack Bootthug who barely remembers CPR and I'm over here with a head injury waiting for EMS.

Cool beans bud, Congrats!

Thanks, I still need to get up there to do a ride out with you. Only 3 classes left then I'm 100% done and just have to do the state written.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    As im sitting here at work in the ER I saw congrats, and avoid a major mistake that others did last trauma station I proctered. If its the trauma station you will NOT be doing CPR, if they dont have a radial pulse move on up and check the brachial and/or carotid.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As im sitting here at work in the ER I saw congrats, and avoid a major mistake that others did last trauma station I proctered. If its the trauma station you will NOT be doing CPR, if they dont have a radial pulse move on up and check the brachial and/or carotid.

*sigh*, yeah, only one student yesterday moved up to the brachial, a couple went to the carotid, and the rest just accepted it and moved on. At least no one started CPR.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

*sigh*, yeah, only one student yesterday moved up to the brachial, a couple went to the carotid, and the rest just accepted it and moved on. At least no one started CPR.

Can you explain this to me (in terms a cop will understand)? I understand why you check the brachial and/or carotid pulses if there isn't a radial one, but why does the trauma assessment not have you doing CPR?

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Can you explain this to me (in terms a cop will understand)? I understand why you check the brachial and/or carotid pulses if there isn't a radial one, but why does the trauma assessment not have you doing CPR?

The whole idea of a trauma scinero is to test your abiltly to treat a trauma patient.

If you were to do training with a taser you would be doing taser stuff as opposed to gun stuff, and gun stuff in the gun training section. Thats why you have a skills station for AED/Cardiac Arrest and a skills station on trauma

Its scary.

EDIT: Thats not to say on the streets you wouldnt do CPR on a trauma patient as their status may change to cardiac arrest, but for the exams sake you will not be doing CPR in the trauma portion of your practicals.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The whole idea of a trauma scinero is to test your abiltly to treat a trauma patient.

If you were to do training with a taser you would be doing taser stuff as opposed to gun stuff, and gun stuff in the gun training section. Thats why you have a skills station for AED/Cardiac Arrest and a skills station on trauma

EDIT: Thats not to say on the streets you wouldnt do CPR on a trauma patient as their status may change to cardiac arrest, but for the exams sake you will not be doing CPR in the trauma portion of your practicals.

Thanks for the clarification. Thats what I kind of figured but I wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at it in the wrong way. :yesway:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Congrats!

What do you plan on doing with your cert? Full time EMT or volunteer or were you just doing it out of interest?

I'm going to do EMT as a full time gig, until I can get on with a LEA. I plan on going to Paramedic school after working 2 years just to get myself comfortable and building my skills.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks for the clarification. Thats what I kind of figured but I wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at it in the wrong way. :yesway:

No problem, if you end up with more questions or need to run over skill sheets just PM me. Always have time to help a fellow EMT, or soon to be!

I'm going to do EMT as a full time gig, until I can get on with a LEA. I plan on going to Paramedic school after working 2 years just to get myself comfortable and building my skills.

I went straight to medic school after basic, biggest lessons I learned were that its never to early to start studying. Basic Arrhythmias by G. Walraven is a good place to start preclass studying. Also RESEARCH the medic program you sign up for! Boy I was in over my head when I started and had ALOT of catching up to do.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Congratulations on becoming an EMT. I enjoyed it for about 10 years but lost my cert Oct. 1st due to not being able to keep my CEU's up to date. Don't forget that you have to renew every 2 years so start keeping training records right after you get your initial cert. I'll be going back to get my cert. next year but I expect the classes will be easier as I will be an RN by that time.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Frank, you'll be happy to hear. I passed my written test today and now the wait begins. 88%, eff yeah!

I feel like I'm waiting for an NFA stamp now. lol

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Frank, you'll be happy to hear. I passed my written test today and now the wait begins. 88%, eff yeah!

I feel like I'm waiting for an NFA stamp now. lol

Nicely done, congrats! I have my class final test tomorrow night and the practical test Saturday the 22nd. When (if) I pass those I have to schedule the state written test at Ivy Tech.

Top Bottom