Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Econo

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My wife is the same way. It is very frustrating, to say the least.

dis-heartening indeed, I've been trying to convince my wife that we need to have a supply cache for us and our children. I've said it for going on two years now, she still doesn't believe it's necessary. i know a heck of a lot when it comes to self preservation, but how do i get her to see that it's a useful skill, and not a "cute hobby"??
    Just keep after them, keep reminding them things can get ugly quick. Ask them about a trip to the grocery store when a big snow is being predicted, and how the shelves are bare, then ask them to imagine that things won't return to normal in a day or so. Don't let a riot scene on TV go to waste without using it as an example of what things could be. There is a grocery store scene in the World War Z movie that is a must see.....don't let an opportunity slip by.

My wife wasn't too resistant to the thought of putting stuff back for an emergency, she's a thrifty person by nature, but it still took me a while to get her fully on board with buying food and other daily use items to put away for an emergency. Now, she shops the same way I do......and it only took me about 8 years to get her in the program.:D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is a good question. There are a couple factors that lead to this "it's not necessary" belief.

The first is simple normalcy bias. There hasn't been a major disruption in the food/energy supply in this country for a long, long time. Why should we prepare for one? The answer is that past performance is not indicative of future results. There is a very real and very dangerous global debt problem that could lead to disruptions. The evidence is available and quite clear if one is willing to look at it.

A second reason is our natural bias towards positive outcomes. Many people are incapable of viewing a very bad outcome as realistic. We tend towards being optimistic because having to face the consequences of being pessimistic is to psycologically damaging to deal with. It's easier to just ignore the potential bad outcomes. A good example of this was the German Jews who never thought the holocaust would happen until they were actually being lead to the gas chamber even though there was a decade of evidence that it was coming.

You can point to all the bad outcomes throughout history and explain that we are not immune. Also, explain that the worst case scenerio under your proposal is that you buy some prepper items that you never need to use. The worst case under her preferred scenerio is that you, her and the kids die from starvation. Start small. The first step in prepping is to stock up on things you use every day anyway. It never hurts to have 3-4 months worth of TP, toothpaste, soap etc.

I would agree with one caveat: I have reached the conclusion that those who refuse to accept the obvious are not so much simply given to accept positive outcomes but rather are emotionally/psychologically dependent upon believing in a positive outcome. They simply are not equipped to be able to deal with the notion that things aren't going to just keep bobbing along more or less as they are at the present, and none of us are going to cut through that thick layer of motivated willful ignorance/delusion.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hot lead should suffice.

Until you run out, get jumped, or you're outnumbered. I'd give them plenty of hot lead. Until I ran out. Then I'd die or they'd be dead. When chaos ensues, survival relies on keen instincts, the will to survive, and a lot of d**n luck. Just my :twocents:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Until you run out, get jumped, or you're outnumbered. I'd give them plenty of hot lead. Until I ran out. Then I'd die or they'd be dead. When chaos ensues, survival relies on keen instincts, the will to survive, and a lot of d**n luck. Just my :twocents:

I would agree, but my position is that if I run out and cannot replenish at the expense of my assorted attackers over time, I am doing it wrong.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    dis-heartening indeed, I've been trying to convince my wife that we need to have a supply cache for us and our children. I've said it for going on two years now, she still doesn't believe it's necessary. i know a heck of a lot when it comes to self preservation, but how do i get her to see that it's a useful skill, and not a "cute hobby"??

Just do it. Get at least 3 days of food and water if nothing else.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    My Dad is proof of this... I tried to give him a box that had a three day supply of shelf stable food in it for him & Mom and he gave it back telling me that he didn't need it as the government and the "good people" he lives near would be there for him. How will these good people help you if, like you no one has anything to spare? I asked. I believe in the goodness of America and that it will always end well. It always has and always will.

I sighed and put the box of stuff with the rest of my supply. My sister gave hers back to me too.

Where do these families live? Right smack on the coast of Fl where Hurricanes are a regular thing. They worry more about me and the single flood I went through without needing help than they do about themselves and the three hurricanes they've been through so far and needed the help.

Heck, they can't even be bothered to keep much water around... my Dad gave me all his guns and my sister won't have one.

I pray for them. A LOT.

You should I spent 9 days with no electric because of a hurricane.....could not use the well surrounded by water with my husband over seas and my son stuck at the fire house 2 pregnant girls and a 16 year old girl...we ran out of water and food in 3 days...had it not been for a neighbor we would of been up ***** creek with out a paddle.

Top Bottom