• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Today I will start a small story,that I "am sure"will have a happy ending-------If it does not you will also get the ending of the story.

A central Indiana "gunsmith?",rebarreld a fine Remington rifle for a friend-------the friend asked myself and another "Benchrest Shooter" to "wring it out"(shoot it in) for him.

After 3 scopes,and 400.00 in ammo------NOTHING EVEN CLOSE to a decent group-------------

TOTAL FRUSTRATION----------------------so,it was sent to another 'smith,in southern In.,to be bedded....

Smith two called me to ask who the stupid ##$^%@#^@^ was that $$^*^@-up a 500.00 barrel????????? I asked,"what do you mean"? -----reply was---he "over cut the threads,then used locktite to hold it in place"---------------he said the barrel was probably shooting loose after the first 10 shots-------

The first 'smith?will not answer his phone------so that means a trip to see him--------with a LARGE backup....

Story to continue

tallend

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    Only thing worse than shoddy work is shoddy work covered up to look good on the surface. I call that fraud. Smith #1 needs to be outed so that we can avoid the pitfalls of crap work.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So I'm guessing this is actually your rifle...? Otherwise, why are the smiths calling you up to inform you about the rifle? And who are these smiths? There's a lot more info being left out than being supplied.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the threads were cut improperly something is trash. Loc-tite was the band-aide.

Keep us apprised.

If someone wants the smith's name/location so they can avoid him please use the PM system to pass that along.....:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Word of mouth can be the best advertisement you could ask for...unless you screw people over...then it's a *****.

:popcorn:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    A----it is NOT my rifle---the owner is partially handicapped (I am doing the leg,and phone work for him)

B--as the 'smith was recomended by 2 or three as doing fine work (MY UNDERSTAND IS THAT SEVERAL OF YOU HAVE SOME OF HIS WORK)-------------I will give the man a chance to redeem himself-------------Before he gets the "GLORIOUS OUTING"

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    I will give the man a chance to redeem himself-------------Before he gets the "GLORIOUS OUTING"

I will wait patiently for the epilogue to this episode. the fact is that smith #2 might be a ninny and not know his bum from a hole in the ground. However the fact that smith #1 used loctite and said nothing is unforgivable and incompetent at least.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will wait patiently for the epilogue to this episode. the fact is that smith #2 might be a ninny and not know his bum from a hole in the ground. However the fact that smith #1 used loctite and said nothing is unforgivable and incompetent at least.

I am thinking a loose barrel would be the issue in this.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Remington's are a pain to head space. Possibly smith #1 cut too much off of the barrel shoulder and could not tighten it up to the receiver....My guess. if this is the case it seems like the barrel could still be re chambered and re head spaced but if he cut the OD of the threads to small the barrel is trash and he the owner a barrel.
    I have "slipped" on 3 barrels in the last 4 years and replaced each one of them at my expense.
    Sucks but it happens. It should never have tried to be covered up.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Remington's are a pain to head space. Possibly smith #1 cut too much off of the barrel shoulder and could not tighten it up to the receiver....My guess. if this is the case it seems like the barrel could still be re chambered and re head spaced but if he cut the OD of the threads to small the barrel is trash and he the owner a barrel.
    I have "slipped" on 3 barrels in the last 4 years and replaced each one of them at my expense.
    Sucks but it happens. It should never have tried to be covered up.

This...

additionally if it is just an issue of the shoulder being moved back, you can have it moved a little further and install a savage style barrel nut.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Today I will start a small story,that I "am sure"will have a happy ending-------If it does not you will also get the ending of the story.

A central Indiana "gunsmith?",rebarreld a fine Remington rifle for a friend-------the friend asked myself and another "Benchrest Shooter" to "wring it out"(shoot it in) for him.

After 3 scopes,and 400.00 in ammo------NOTHING EVEN CLOSE to a decent group-------------

TOTAL FRUSTRATION----------------------so,it was sent to another 'smith,in southern In.,to be bedded....

Smith two called me to ask who the stupid ##$^%@#^@^ was that $$^*^@-up a 500.00 barrel????????? I asked,"what do you mean"? -----reply was---he "over cut the threads,then used locktite to hold it in place"---------------he said the barrel was probably shooting loose after the first 10 shots-------

The first 'smith?will not answer his phone------so that means a trip to see him--------with a LARGE backup....

Story to continue

tallend

I enjoyed the use of air quotes and dashes. Made for strong reading.

Further, I doubt have a "LARGE backup" will do you any good. Without seeing the work, I cannot comment on the quality. But, this statement implies that you are not going to help the matter.

1. Cooler heads prevail. "...Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry." Find a reasonable solution to the problem. Coming in with a head full of steam will more than likely not result in a positive outcome in your favor.
    2. I would take another opinion into consideration. If you would like mine, you are welcome to PM me and I will take a look at no cost to you.
    3. It can be fixed. If you receive a bill to fix it, send a certified letter to the original gunsmith and have him reimburse you. If you don't receive any response in a reasonable amount of time, file a small claims lawsuit. However, make sure you have kept all receipts, call logs, etc.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    rifle back from 'smith #2--------his quote, "looks like a job a second year high school machine shop project" "PIZZ POOR"

will meet with "smith?,#1 ,in the next few days.....hopefully to resolve the issue

Top Bottom