• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maperry2125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Hello Everyone. I live in Westfield and am interested in joining one of the local gun/conservation clubs and was wondering if anyone had any input on the different clubs in the area. I know there are clubs in Atlanta, Noblesville and Elwood that I am aware of. I am new to the gun club scene and am interested in learning gun safety and participating in some shooting competitions. Any advice would be great!

:patriot:

Last edited:

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I believe most people will recommend Atlanta Conservation Club. Although Elwood is cheap to join. Atlanta has very nice facilities and great people. The Hamilton county fish and game is pretty pricy, I haven't been there but I don't believe it is as nice as ACC. I could be wrong of course.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I believe most people will recommend Atlanta Conservation Club. Although Elwood is cheap to join. Atlanta has very nice facilities and great people. The Hamilton county fish and game is pretty pricy, I haven't been there but I don't believe it is as nice as ACC. I could be wrong of course.

How much does Hamilton Co. cost each year?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Club Member (Active) $150 per Year
    Club Member (Non-active) $200 per Year
    Family membership (Active) $175 per Year
    Family membership (Non-Active) $225 per Year
    **Initiation Fee (New Members Only) $50 One-Time

Hamilton County Fish & Game - Membership Information!

Thanks!

Atlanta Conservation Club raised theirs to $150 per year (from $100) this year. I'm considering not renewing, which is why I have not done so already. If I lived over there it might be a different story, but I don't.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I am having the same debate. Atlanta or Hamilton County. It looks like ACC doesn't have anything longer than 25 yards. Hamilton County has up to 100 yards apparently. I think I want to shoot rifle and handgun. It looks like Atlanta has a lot more events if that's what you are looking for.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    ACC has a bay where we can get 35 yards. The events at ACC are mostly open to all safe shooters. (SCSA, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, SASS, DMG, 3Gun) We've had a members-only "Gun Show" but that's all I can think of, for private stuff.

OP - for training opportunities, check out the training forums here on INGO. there are several great options, including ACT, where Rhino works, and IGS, where I work. I teach NRA Basic Pistol.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I have been at ACC for over two years now. I do not shoot competitions, but just like a place to go with family and friends. As previously stated the membership was increased to $150 this year, but that is a family membership. It is nice to have the club house to wash hands and use the restroom. I do not like the giant membership sign they now expect me to hang around my neck while on the property. It may impact my renewal next year. I do like the privacy of the bays and ability to set up multiple targets. A 100 yard bay would be very welcome. For me a range with less events scheduled on weekends would be nice. I do not like paying for a range I cannot use as I please on weekends.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have been at ACC for over two years now. I do not shoot competitions, but just like a place to go with family and friends. As previously stated the membership was increased to $150 this year, but that is a family membership. It is nice to have the club house to wash hands and use the restroom. I do not like the giant membership sign they now expect me to hang around my neck while on the property. It may impact my renewal next year. I do like the privacy of the bays and ability to set up multiple targets. A 100 yard bay would be very welcome. For me a range with less events scheduled on weekends would be nice. I do not like paying for a range I cannot use as I please on weekends.

A 100 yard bay would complete ACC. But then I suppose I would want a 150...then a 200. To my knowledge (and the calendar) the events mostly only use the front 5 bays, leaving the back bays open for members...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am having the same debate. Atlanta or Hamilton County. It looks like ACC doesn't have anything longer than 25 yards. Hamilton County has up to 100 yards apparently. I think I want to shoot rifle and handgun. It looks like Atlanta has a lot more events if that's what you are looking for.

HFCG has a shared 25-150 yard bay and has several new rifle bays under construction.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...

The ID tag just needs to be with you, and visible. I keep mine clipped onto my range-bag.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Was a member at ACC last year. Great folks, but limited range distance. Decided to join Elwood CC this year. Ranges there are from 25yds. to 100 yds., and they have shooting benches and a roof... something ACC does not have. It's only about 10 miles farther East from ACC. Elwood CC membership is only $65 for the year.

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    Was a member at ACC last year. Great folks, but limited range distance. Decided to join Elwood CC this year. Ranges there are from 25yds. to 100 yds., and they have shooting benches and a roof... something ACC does not have. It's only about 10 miles farther East from ACC. Elwood CC membership is only $65 for the year.

Elwood also has no hoops to jump through to join - pay your dues & you're in. Also, it's my understanding that you don't have to be a member at Atlanta to shoot in their IDPA, etc. events.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I was a member in Hamilton Co. for a while. It was primitive, but the only place around here to shoot my 30-06 at 100+yds. I quit because it was a real hassle to work the gate by myself, and it was difficult to share the range when others were there.

Now I just go to Atterbury, which is a state of the art facility, asides from having only paper targets--at least they have loads of lanes up to 100yds. Id still like to shoot somewhere closer and that allows rapid firing...

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Thanks!

Atlanta Conservation Club raised theirs to $150 per year (from $100) this year. I'm considering not renewing, which is why I have not done so already. If I lived over there it might be a different story, but I don't.

Ditto... ACC is an hour drive from me since we moved... not sure getting up there maybe once or twice a month is worth it... last year I made it up there once for 10minutes before I got a call and had to pack it up and leave...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ditto... ACC is an hour drive from me since we moved... not sure getting up there maybe once or twice a month is worth it... last year I made it up there once for 10minutes before I got a call and had to pack it up and leave...

Amen!

I was there maybe five times outside of matches or our classes last year. It might have been more (I'm sure the gate keeps a record), but I don't remember going there too much. Once or twice a month would be heavy use for me!

Top Bottom