Non-Resident Open Carry in Ohio - I might try it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I will be in Cincinnati over Mother's Day weekend and read up on non-resident carry in OH.

Seeing as 1 of the 2 times I've been in a bad situation was just outside Cincy at a Dairy Queen at night. My buddy and I were approached by a scraggly looking couple asking for a ride, to which I refused since they looked "interesting". This caused the man to ask for our money with a small knife in his hand.

Being in no mood to get cut while fighting him off, we complied, but being teenagers who were out of town and lost, we didn't have much. I believe they made off with just over $20.

After that we got the heck out of there and I called the police to have them look into it. This was 6 years ago during an October run at haunted attractions.

Anyway tl;dr I prefer to have a firearm within reach these days, I have read and understand the laws concerning carry in OH.

I must have the firearm unloaded and locked up in the car, but can open carry in allowed areas as a non-resident. Has anyone else done this in Ohio?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I must have the firearm unloaded and locked up in the car, but can open carry in allowed areas as a non-resident. Has anyone else done this in Ohio?

be careful about unloaded and locked in the car:

(5)(a) "Unloaded" means with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this
    section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing
    ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question and one of the following applies:
    (i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that
    may be used with the firearm in question.
    (ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in
    question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without
    leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.
    (b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate
    enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:
    (i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed
    loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or
    case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a
    separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap,
    button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to
    access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that
    compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;
    (ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap,
    button, buckle, zipper, hook

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI

I wouldn't do it. Risk vs reward.
    Reward = 1 in 10,000 chance that you will honestly need it.
    Risk = somebody sees it, ignorant cop locks you up. Creative prosecutor makes you a felon.

You know, there are other options: pepper spray, pocket knife & situational awareness.

Just my :twocents:

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    Risk = somebody sees it, ignorant cop locks you up. Creative prosecutor makes you a felon.

You know, there are other options: pepper spray, pocket knife & situational awareness.

I don't know man, have you ever had to spend long periods of time with your mother-in-law? Lol

Purple implied.

Looks like we might be going to Indianapolis after a change in plans. I appreciate the input though.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I will be in Cincinnati over Mother's Day weekend and read up on non-resident carry in OH.

Seeing as 1 of the 2 times I've been in a bad situation was just outside Cincy at a Dairy Queen at night. My buddy and I were approached by a scraggly looking couple asking for a ride, to which I refused since they looked "interesting". This caused the man to ask for our money with a small knife in his hand.

Being in no mood to get cut while fighting him off, we complied, but being teenagers who were out of town and lost, we didn't have much. I believe they made off with just over $20.

After that we got the heck out of there and I called the police to have them look into it. This was 6 years ago during an October run at haunted attractions.

Anyway tl;dr I prefer to have a firearm within reach these days, I have read and understand the laws concerning carry in OH.

Watch out for HARLESS!!!!:D

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson

I would certainly want to get into a knife fight with a transient.

I thought it was better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

How creative would he have to be if you put the ammo in the trunk and the gun in the glove box? My wagon has three latched compartments in the back I could use and just hope no one car-jacks me.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I don't know man, have you ever had to spend long periods of time with your mother-in-law? Lol

I feel your pain... been there a couple times over the last few years.
    I really don't feel safe in that area.

However, I would never OC there.

Having a legal permit is the only way I would carry in Ohio. I have thought about getting the non-resi Utah permit. I think FL's non-resident permit is valid there too.

It sucks living in between two states, one who has no carry option and one who doesn't recognize IN's LTCH. :xmad:

When IL gets their sh*t together, maybe things will get better. One reason I'm putting off the non-resi permit is to see what IL is going to require. It'd be nice to get 'one' permit to cover both states.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    i read that there is currently legislation in the Ohio house to change the meaning of a "loaded firearm" to a more universal definition used by most states

I've heard that, too.

And I "think" that OH's legislative session is similar to Indiana's... so it may be soon before we find out for sure.

-J-

Top Bottom