• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I'm using an old (1974) set of RCBS dies, non carbide. I tumble all of my brass in walnut shells and Nu-Finish before depriming/resizing. I have to stop after every 75-100 cases and remove brass galling from the inside of the die with a lapper. It's a temporary fix, and the galling comes right back. The scratches get progressively worse until there's 10/12 lines along the case that can be felt with a fingernail.

Most lubing subjects I read about pertain to rifle cases, so I'm not sure how relevant it is to pistol cases. Will spraying down the cases with a shot of lanolin/alcohol help with the galling issue?

I'm really tired of interupting my process because of scratched brass.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is new to me, so I researched and found three possible solutions.

1) Clean the die with CLP as it might be dirty
    2) Die might need to be polisjed as its fairly old, I would send it off, not a task I'm doing to a die
    3) After some use dies becomes charged... not sure how that effects the galling but its been suggested.

Personally I would buy new carbide dies before I sent them off.

HTH RNM

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    A few more details:

The die is HIGHLY polished, I used 1500 grit on a lapping borer, followed by polishing compound and Nu-finish on a q-tip chucked in a dremel, with several clean q-tips during and after to remove contaminants. I doubt RCBS could improve on my polish job.

The dies are on loan to me. I'll buy my own set of dies soon enough, but for now, I have to use what's available/in my budget.

I already have a spray bottle, and denatured alcohol. 5 bucks worth of pure lanolin is a lot cheaper than a new set of dies.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Pistol cases will need lube if you are using a steel die. Spend the money,get a carbide sizing die and carry on.
    +1

Can't tell from your original post if you are doing any lubing, if not you need to with steel dies. This is one place where Hornady One Shot works pretty good, I don't care for it on rifle brass however. YMMV

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    +1

Can't tell from your original post if you are doing any lubing, if not you need to with steel dies. This is one place where Hornady One Shot works pretty good, I don't care for it on rifle brass however. YMMV
    Seeems like the key to One Shot is to make sure it is dry before you run the cases.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I just found a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic in the medicine cabinet. First ingredient Mineral Oil. 3rd ingredient, lanolin. For "science" I squirted a capful into a spray bottle full of denatured alcohol. Treated the cases, let em dry, and ran em through. My press has never run so smooth, and NO SCRATCHES. Took a little hot, soapy water to em and put em out to dry, they look great.

Just pulled the die off and checked thoroughly, no brass galling! This will work until I find the time and money to buy a set of carbide dies.

I like doing things the hard way.

I wouldn't recommend this for rifle cases, but for the light task of resizing 9mm, it'll do!

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    On my 357sig dies I use WD-40 in a small cup, then wipe the brass off with a rag. Must clean it off before loading. This I than use a little dish soap and hot water, let set over night.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have a couple sets of steel pistol dies, simply because they are in caliber's that are very low volume for me. Actually I bet if you would use just a dab of Imperial sizing wax on about 1 out of 6 cases, it will still run smooth as silk.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have a couple sets of steel pistol dies, simply because they are in caliber's that are very low volume for me. Actually I bet if you would use just a dab of Imperial sizing wax on about 1 out of 6 cases, it will still run smooth as silk.

Here's your answer. The Imperial sizing die wax is the best solution because it does not require any subsequent cleaning/drying. Just use it sparingly and wipe cases clean. The stuff is nothing short of amazing, IMHO.

Top Bottom