• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Connersville
    Seems to me like auction prices for guns have been crazy high lately. I've seen many people spend new, retail amounts for a used gun. Auction prices for ammo are just as bad.

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Seems to me like auction prices for guns have been crazy high lately. I've seen many people spend new, retail amounts for a used gun. Auction prices for ammo are just as bad.

Same with some auctions I've been to lately. I keep asking myself "what are they seeing that I'm not"

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Same with some auctions I've been to lately. I keep asking myself "what are they seeing that I'm not"

The cynical side of me wonders if some auction houses have shill bidders online trying to drive up prices. I hope not, but some final prices I see don't make sense.

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    The cynical side of me wonders if some auction houses have shill bidders online trying to drive up prices. I hope not, but some final prices I see don't make sense.

That could be too. I also see people that get so hyped up on winning that all common sense leaves their head. I always set a price and stop at that point.

jdeere18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    Auctions are all about the competition with the other bidder check the ego when you get your number or you will pay the price when you start bidding.

Spiorad-Fola

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Knowing when to stop is the hardest part. I fell victim to that once or twice in the past, anymore I just stop when it gets past my set budget. I usually console myself on a lost bid by just shrugging and thinking "Thank God I didn't just pay that much for that __________.".

restonlane

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    McCordsville, IN

I actually saw an auction where this activity was disclosed as being an acceptable practice with the auction. Needless to say, I did not participate.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm not an expert at the auction game but I would suggest that what you all are seeing is a result of people getting nervous.

* Election year
    * Numerous gun industry manufacturers experiencing higher order volume
    * A perception of shortages in gun related products

I see a "run" in progress. I would think the auctions are too.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I find it very difficult to get a deal at an auction that has reserves and Proxi-Bid running concurrently with the live auction. So I tend to stay away from those. Or auctions that are very close to the IL border I tend to shy away from now. Why? The IL bleed over, I find they are willing to just pay a little more for their guns. Don't even get me started on ammo prices at auctions, frickin crazy. What I find that helps is don't bid on the ammo, let the others fight for it and if the hammer price is low enough there is usually enough to go around where you can score a couple of boxes cheap.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I don't know if it was the "pony" or the auctions that keep the price high. I am a Colt guy and it scares me a little where the top is on these guns. All I can say is I am glad I own most of what I want.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    my take on auctions

Speaking as someone who has bought and sold (only at real auctions, Cowan's, Christy's, and RIA) weapons I can only say, "the price is always right for someone". I have sold rare guns which disappointed me with what they brought in and I have sold lesser guns for much more than I expected. In my experience so far I can say that if I sell 5 guns the total has always worked out close to my expectations. I would like to point out that maybe the reason people pay a premium for some guns is because of the investment angle. Right now, guns and ammo beat the "H" out of many investment options. If one has lost one's behind in bonds or the market it is rather easy to take a "at least I can shoot it" attitude.:):

Top Bottom