• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I brought this up on another thread, but for a baseline understanding of Japanese culture and understanding why there will be no looting in Japan I recommend:

Amazon.com: The Chrysanthemum and the Sword: Patterns of Japanese Culture (0046442500753): Ruth Benedict: Books

There are many other great books on understanding Japanese culture. You can PM me for a list.*

*Note to Mods: the book recommendation was for helping INGO understand different cultures. No motive as to race or ethnicity should be inferred.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    you cant rep someone when they get banned? I just learned something new.

they dont wanna harm each other folks, they just love to dive bomb. eh eh eh eh

edit: I agree that it has something to do with the penal system there. but also, they are taught honor and practice it amongst themselves. even though I do have strong dislikes for the country, I do have some respect for their way of life.
    They arent self absorbed like many in america.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Wow. :facepalm:

Not as a slam to mods in anyway, but it would be interesting to see some of the true nature of a lot of INGO without censorship.

Welcome to my world:rolleyes: In all seriousness though, no matter what the topic of a forum is supposed to be, when you get 14k+ members, you are gonna have some folks who simply do not belong....anywhere.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I've never been to Japan (yet).

I think there are values in that society that once were more prominent in ours.

Honor, integrity, the forethought of having shame for one's actions, these thing probably play a part on individuals' actions. Who's to say it wont get worse if/when resources run out and the Japanese act on primitive survival mode? It's far from over.

Do you see so many people wearing face masks? The surgical type? Those are worn to protect others from the wearer's germs. They've been wearing them long before the disaster. It's a thing that people do if they feel ill or contagious to prevent spreading their own germs.

That's a good indication of a culture of responsibility.

The radio and television was telling them to wear mask after the Nuclear plant explosion. For safety from the falling contaminated dust.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Thanks guys. This MOD job is not easy and sometimes it's down right frustrating, but it is still something I try to do to the best of my ability. I take pride in what INGO is and has become and I'll be damned if anyone tries to undermine and destroy that with their own hatred.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I've never been to Japan (yet).

I think there are values in that society that once were more prominent in ours.

Honor, integrity, the forethought of having shame for one's actions, these thing probably play a part on individuals' actions. Who's to say it wont get worse if/when resources run out and the Japanese act on primitive survival mode? It's far from over.

Do you see so many people wearing face masks? The surgical type? Those are worn to protect others from the wearer's germs. They've been wearing them long before the disaster. It's a thing that people do if they feel ill or contagious to prevent spreading their own germs.

That's a good indication of a culture of responsibility.

^^ This ^^

The Japanese people really impressed me when I visited their country.

It kind of surprised me how much they pride themselves on responsible action. (Not that that does not exist in our country and elsewhere, but in Japan it seemed everyone acted like that)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Thanks guys. This MOD job is not easy and sometimes it's down right frustrating, but it is still something I try to do to the best of my ability. I take pride in what INGO is and has become and I'll be damned if anyone tries to undermine and destroy that with their own hatred.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I like the way you guys are doing it now, by quoting the post that earned the ban, and just booting the problem rather than closing the thread.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    As odd as this may sound, the lack of looting in Japan isn't a sign of some cultural superiority. It's the flip side of a culture that values conformity and the collective much more than the individual. Combine that with a very old culture with very established traditions and almost no racial or cultural diversity, and you're going to have low crime rates.

We can't get there from here, and I don't think we'd want to.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I think its mainly an issue of entitlement. If a large portion of your population feels entitled to what you have, why shouldn't they just go take it? In the case of Katrina, mother nature impeded the normal infrastructure that would have taken stuff away from you and given it to the entitled lazy. Its only natural that the looters should take over where the government left off. Its their civic duty to fill the power vacuum.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As odd as this may sound, the lack of looting in Japan isn't a sign of some cultural superiority. It's the flip side of a culture that values conformity and the collective much more than the individual. Combine that with a very old culture with very established traditions and almost no racial or cultural diversity, and you're going to have low crime rates.

We can't get there from here, and I don't think we'd want to.

I partly agree. I think you are underestimating though the value they place on honor and duty. We used to have those as part of our national character and it still exists in some areas of our country. But it has disappeared from way too many of our fellow citizens. We have large groups of people that no longer have any sense of shame much less duty to something greater than themselves. We hear it on here on a daily basis.

Top Bottom