• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i am a licensed concealed carry/ personal protection holder like many fine hoosiers in this great state, but i am curious about something.

Some places i know have statues or rules about not having firearms on propertys so like a convience store or businesses u may work with. but the indiana state police issued me a piece of paper stateing that i can carry a legal weapon in my possesion on my body or in the vehicle. for example if i was at a park or convience store and someone happened to see a handgun on my person or in my vehicle that was an employee or owner of the business what if anything can they legally do for me having a weapon on there "property"? i know there are certain places u cant take a firearm like govt buildings, airports, schools, and i think bars? me personally im more worried about getting from my home to the business or where im going rather than when i get there.

an actual example is my brothers workplace suddenly stated that they were no longer allowed to have weapons ur car even if you are a licensed carrier because they dont want them on their property and my brother had been carrying his handgun to and from work for several years.

Im curious if anyone know how the laws work in situations like the ones i have mentioned. any info would be appreciated

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Theres a list in the FAQ of places where you CAN'T carry. But for other places, well, concealed means concealed. Anyone can ask you to leave for carrying in their business. If they ask you to leave, and you refuse, you can be in trouble for trespassing. But your not in trouble for carrying in there.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    :welcome: to :ingo: Private property right trump personal rights here in Indiana as of July 1st the company your brother works for that instituted that policy will no longer be valid. (unless something changed) This in a well discussed topic here.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Theres a list in the FAQ of places where you CAN'T carry.

As pointed out, see the FAQ for places where it is ILLEGAL to carry in Indiana.

As for carry into PRIVATE PLACES that have "NO FIREARMS" signs you should be aware of the laws and the rights of other's property.

If it is a private store with a PUBLIC SHOWROOM like a convenience store or a jewelry store or even a shopping mall, and you are a customer, you may carry into the public area of the store, the public area of the parking lot, etc and ignore the signs. However, if they notice your gun they have the legal right to ask you to leave. You MUST LEAVE if you are asked or you can be charged with 'trespass.'

If it is a store or business and you are an EMPLOYEE of the business, the business has the right to forbid firearms in ALL areas of the workplace, in ALL company owned vehicles, etc. A new law was just passed that goes into effect in July, someone with a LTCH will be allowed to keep a gun LOCKED IN THEIR CAR but the employee is NOT allowed to take it out of the car! It simply allows you to travel to and from work with your gun but once you arrive at work your gun stays LOCKED INSIDE the car.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Parking lot bill recently signed into law in IN. Not sure of the actual date it takes effect, but after that date you can have a gun in your locked vehicle of most employers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    You have to respect private property rights just like your employer should respect your private property rights that your car is off limits to their rules.

If a private property owner doesn't want firearms on their property respect their wishes and send them a message by not buying things from them, tell all your friends and even go as far as posting signs in your town that read...

"Attention criminals: Unarmed citizens at Joe Blow's convenience store"

But really, private property rights triumph our second amendment and your little piece of paper.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I work for the federal government and our supervisor informed us at a recent meeting that the newly established law does not appy to federal property. He then stated,"so don't try it". I do however believe I am within my rights to keep it in my locked vehicle as long as I park in the public parking area. The employee parking area is fenced in and has signs posted.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I do however believe I am within my rights to keep it in my locked vehicle as long as I park in the public parking area. The employee parking area is fenced in and has signs posted.

Correst the new law does not apply to federal propety. However as you pointed out if you park "off fed property" (ie public parking) & lead the weapon in the car then you are OK.

Top Bottom