• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    If I'm reading the regs right, the "must be capable of loading ball and powder from the muzzle" line basically excludes a Cap and Ball gun correct?

It sounds like, even if a particular BP gun meets all of the caliber and barrel length requirements, it can be ruled "illegal" by how the ball in inserted. :rolleyes:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I'm not sure how you are getting that from the regs. All muzzleloaders are loaded with powder and ball from muzzle, are they not? I know all of mine load that way, thus the category "muzzleloader".

I may be misunderstanding your question.

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Cap & ball guns are not technically "muzzle loaders" because the ball and powder are loaded from the front of they cylinder, not the muzzle of the gun....

The regs don't forbid cap and balls by name, but the requirement that the ball and powder be loaded from the muzzle basically kills them.

I'm just PO'ed at the poor wording of Indiana's regs (again)... I was thinking I might actually participate this year when I get my cap & ball.... then I re-read the regs and it appears to write me out.

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    The Exact quote from the regs is as follows:

"A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from the muzzle, including both powder and bullet."

Cap and ball pistols and rifles load from the cylinder, not the muzzle. I wouldn't THINK anyone would be annal enough to bust you for using a Cap & Ball that meets caliber and barrel length requirements, but wouldn't want to be the one to find out. :facepalm:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Call or email the DNR. They've always been very prompt at replying to my emails with very professional advice. Most often you'll get a response from an actual CO.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If I'm reading the regs right, the "must be capable of loading ball and powder from the muzzle" line basically excludes a Cap and Ball gun correct?

It sounds like, even if a particular BP gun meets all of the caliber and barrel length requirements, it can be ruled "illegal" by how the ball in inserted. :rolleyes:

That's right it is not legal to hunt deer in Indiana with a cap and ball revolver.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Cap & ball guns are not technically "muzzle loaders" because the ball and powder are loaded from the front of they cylinder, not the muzzle of the gun....

The regs don't forbid cap and balls by name, but the requirement that the ball and powder be loaded from the muzzle basically kills them.

I'm just PO'ed at the poor wording of Indiana's regs (again)... I was thinking I might actually participate this year when I get my cap & ball.... then I re-read the regs and it appears to write me out.

If you are PO'ed then look in the mirror in the morning and give they guy heck who is fully responsible for it.

If you want to hunt deer in Indiana then read the deer hunting regulations how ever many times it takes for you to comprehend them and then purchase equipment appropriate to the task you want to accomplish.

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Your response is to insult my intelligence?

I understood the rules the first time around: I sought clarification because they are blatantly ridiculous.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    I like the word "capable" in the regulation. Find a way you can load through the muzzle... no matter how difficult, then you're good.

LOL, I-ANAL. <--always wanted to post that

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    I like the word "capable" in the regulation. Find a way you can load through the muzzle... no matter how difficult, then you're good.

Hmmm...

A LONG stem funnel for the powder, and a stout ramrod. :):

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

You can load a cap and ball revolver through the barrel.

It's still not a legal firearm for hunting deer in Indiana.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I understood the rules the first time around: I sought clarification because they are blatantly ridiculous.

They seem pretty clear to me and a few million other people. DNR has been in the deer hunting regulations business quite a while now. How long have you been in the deer kill'n business?:dunno:

Sorry. I can only read what you wrote.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Why wouldn't it be legal during "Firearms" season as a handgun?

How can a firearm with no cartridge meet the minimum and maximum cartridge length?

You should probably just read the regulations.

The CO isn't going to care what you read on the "INGO BINGO INTERNETO hunting regulation advice column" when he's giving you a ticket.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

You did understand the rules correctly. I don't know if they specifically set out to exclude cap and ball, but the regs. they wrote did not include them among allowable weapons.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Even if you did use a ramrod and load it through the barrel it wouldn't qualify for muzzle-loader season because it is a repeater. If I am not mistaken you could get a .45 LC conversion cylinder for it and use it as a cartridge gun. Is a .45 LC pistol legal to hunt with?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    How can a firearm with no cartridge meet the minimum and maximum cartridge lenght?

The CO isn't going to care what you read on the "INGO BINGO INTERNETO hunting regulation advice column" when he's giving you a ticket.

^^^QFT^^^

Cartridge length requirements also dis-allow cap and ball revolvers... It just can't be done.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    How can a firearm with no cartridge meet the minimum and maximum cartridge lenght?

True, but the people at this forum are great at pointing a guy to to specific regulation that applies so asking on the forum makes a lot of sense if you don't know exactly where to look.

Top Bottom