• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    2 for 2? Can you prove that statistic? For all you/we etc etc know we may be 2 for 2 billion or more.

Can't really blame the girl nor the parents without knowing what discussions with the instructor preceded the incident. In fact all anyone here has is a small blip of a video that someone posted online, nothing near enough to pass any sort of judgement on anyone in particular without knowing more facts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2 for 2? Can you prove that statistic? For all you/we etc etc know we may be 2 for 2 billion or more.

Can't really blame the girl nor the parents without knowing what discussions with the instructor preceded the incident. In fact all anyone here has is a small blip of a video that someone posted online, nothing near enough to pass any sort of judgement on anyone in particular without knowing more facts.

Main and most obvious fact....instructor lost control of the line. He really should have kept a hand in the game.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

What other facts do you need to know? A man is dead. Shot by a child that no way should have been shooting that weapon, period. I don't give a rats ass how much "assurance" he gave the parents. Common sense should have kicked in somewhere. It didn't. This guy was about as good of a firearms "instructor" as that flight instructor who tried to have that little 7 year old girl set a cross country flying record. That idiot ended up getting 3 people killed. More idiot parents coupled with "trained professionals".

7-Year-Old Pilot Crashes, Killing 3 And Ending Cross-Country Quest - The Tech

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So the parents are standing back video taping, then their 9 year old shoots the instructor in the head and their first reaction is to post the video online?!

My thought is that someone was at the range and was recording it and posted it and it possibly wasn't the parents.

The report in the first post says the video was released by the Sheriff department.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    What other facts do you need to know? A man is dead. Shot by a child that no way should have been shooting that weapon, period. I don't give a rats ass how much "assurance" he gave the parents. Common sense should have kicked in somewhere. It didn't. This guy was about as good of a firearms "instructor" as that flight instructor who tried to have that little 7 year old girl set a cross country flying record. That idiot ended up getting 3 people killed. More idiot parents coupled with "trained professionals".

7-Year-Old Pilot Crashes, Killing 3 And Ending Cross-Country Quest - The Tech

It's the internet, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nine year old kids shoot all sorts of firearms all the time. As churchmouse said, the only thing we know for sure from the video is the instructor used bad judgement,

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Nine year old kids shoot all sorts of firearms all the time.

Let's get real. How many 9 year olds shoot full auto Uzi's? How many ranges even have them available? More importantly, how many do you think will allow them to after this? You're correct there was bad judgment all the way around. With every adult associated with this idiotic endeavor. The proof of that is simple, look at what happened.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Amusement park rides have minimum age, height, and weight requirements. This is done for a reason. Shooting full auto weapons should have much the same. It protects children from moron parents who lack common sense, if nothing else. It appears the range where this occurred, has finally caught on to what everyone else already knows.....Albeit a little too late.

Fatal shooting by 9-year-old at firing range stirs debate over guns - CBS News

"CBS News correspondent Vinita Nair reports that the shooting range says it's already changed its regulations since the incident. Shooters will be required to be at least five feet tall or 12 years of age."

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This can happen to anybody. Instinct makes people grip the gun convulsively when they sense it getting away form them, holding down the trigger and pulling it up and in. Years ago while demonstrating the MAC 10 to a sheriff's department a deputy let a 45 caliber MAC10 get away and almost hosed down the cruisers in the parking lot. You could see the bullet impacts in the ground moving off the range and towards the cars, stopping only because the high rate of fire had emptied the magazine.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Get it sometimes at the range: Daddy gives 8 yo, MAYBE 10 yo, child a Kimber compact 1911 in .45, full magazine, after only shooting a P22 or some other .22 all day. Kid shoots off one round, the gun is waved in all directions due to recoil, finger still in trigger guard. Dad gets mad because the boy doesn't want to shoot it anymore, makes him empty the magazine, all the while, gun flapping around wildly almost dropped several times as he fires.

Same thing with guys handing their girlfriend, who has never shot before or little, a 12 gauge Brenneke loaded shotgun or other Mag-num style weapon, then laughs when it goes off, terrifying them.

It's a common sense issue and these "trainers", boyfriends, husbands, dads, parents, etc... lack it. Sure, they can pip the ace at 25 yards or they "were a cop" (my fav), but don't have the presence of mind to think "maybe this isn't a good idea" or "maybe this might affect someone's views on guns, turning them away from the sport/right".

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shooting guns in general should be done based on desire and ability. don't push people who don't want to shoot to shoot regardless of age or gender. Then those who have the desire break them in slowly with a gun and caliber they can handle.

Kids are not all the same and some can handle things at an age that others cannot. A blanket statement that 9 year olds should not handle full auto guns does more good than harm. Some kids can drive before they are legally allowed and some adults cannot handle it with years of experience.

I taught my kids to shoot at a young age, and they do pretty well. My seven year old son is currently grounded from shooting for unsafe gun-handling.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so if it's a dupe I'll just have to apologize later.

I found this on Yahoo (yeah, I know... but it was quick and easy) earlier. It's a story about another 9 year old girl who could most likely have handled that Uzi pretty well, and from pretty much the same region as the one this thread's all about.

https://screen.yahoo.com/news/local-9-old-competitive-shooter-040300101.html?vp=1

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so if it's a dupe I'll just have to apologize later.

I found this on Yahoo (yeah, I know... but it was quick and easy) earlier. It's a story about another 9 year old girl who could most likely have handled that Uzi pretty well, and from pretty much the same region as the one this thread's all about.

https://screen.yahoo.com/news/local-9-old-competitive-shooter-040300101.html?vp=1

I bet she could handle it just fine too. This example would make it appear 9 isn't necessarily too young after all.

Top Bottom