• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The "trophy" is the hunt itself. If the deer is taken in a tainted "hunt" then it isn't really a "trophy". It might falsely enflate an ego, but it is false..

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The "trophy" is the hunt itself. If the deer is taken in a tainted "hunt" then it isn't really a "trophy". It might falsely end late an ego, but it is false..

And if they had competitive knitting, competitors would buy $1000 needles. Hunting used to be about sustenance and since society has glorified it, you get what we've got now. It's about bragging rights.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I heard about this in church today. It's a shame that some people insist on breaking the law.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    In order to have the "privilege" of hunting, you have to buy a license. If he didn't do that, how can he "lose" this privilege?

Yeah, I know of someone that has been caught poaching a few times and just heard that he may have been doing it again recently. He doesn't care if they revoke his privilege to buy a license because he doesn't buy them anyway. Same with fishing, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, goose, duck hunting.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I read the Indy Star article and saw the pictures. These kind of acts cast all the honest hunter's all a bad light. Hopefully the the 90:10 rule applies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    For some maybe but not for all hunters

Deer hunting has been turned into a multi million dollar industry nationwide. I often see trucks out and about with deer antler stickers in the back windows. It seems that some people live and breathe deer hunting. I know if I shell out $50 for an antler and bonus antlerless tag, I'm pretty po'd if I don't get even a doe. With the cost of tags, you couldn't begin to hunt to save money on meat unless you are processing it yourself.

Yes, it's always the few who ruin it for everybody. But look at the current hunting culture and it's no wonder those few will do stupid things.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When I kept track (mid 90's) it ran me about $4 a pound (tag, gas and processing).

I've seen nature's movies, watched them for hrs a day, day after day. Much cheaper than watching some piece of crap Hollywood has put out at the theater.

There's more to it than just putting meat in the freezer, duh.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I don't hunt for the meat. I hunt for the enjoyment of it..

The commercialization of hunting is a two edged sword. It is helping to recruit more hunters, but unfortunately some for the wrong reason..

IMHO ....

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm not even a deer hunter, but this makes me pissed. What a shame someone who has been chasing that monster for years didn't get the opportunity to hang that in their trophy room.

I think the LEO or CO who caught him should be able to hang the bust of the criminal in their trophy room. :)

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I am in the last stage of a hunter's development: Enjoyment. Unfortunately I don't get to enjoy myself as much as I would like.

Who let the drone in?

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    What a crock of ****.

The deer was not taken for use, as when a hunter takes it. They found the carcas, which means that the deer was harvested for its antlers, and maybe the backstrap, with the rest left to waste.

Add to that the fact that the deer populations are managed very well in Indiana, which leads to millions of dollars going into conservation efforts around the state that benefit everyone, not just hunters. Like those trails at Turkey run? Thank the hunters who legally harvest deer, that pay for their hunting tags.

It would be a whole different story if a family had to take a doe to put meat on the table, bit that is not what happened here. Poachers should have all their gear confiscated, and their hunting privledges revoked for life, end of story. I wont even get into the fact that a 270 cannot be used legally in Indiana for the harvesting of deer.

Well stated - let's not forget harvesting the heard keeps disease and starvation down.... as well as crop and vehicle damage down.

Top Bottom