• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who the hell would put their SSN on a 4473?

For what reason?

Are we not already deep enough in the gaze of the beast that we must bare our throats to its sharp teeth as well?

I have no problem putting my SSN on the form. It's a government number to begin with. The only people I don't want having it is everyone else. :):

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I put my SSN on the 4473. They know my name, address, DOB, how much money I make (and who I make it from). I was fingerprinted in the military, and during the LTC process. And the Gov't issued my SSN in the first place. As much as I might dislike it, "they" can find me if they want to...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Indiana needs a skip the call law like Arizona has. In Arizona if you have a ccw permit they dont call they just write your permit number on the form.

Indiana was like that, too, up until about 2002. At that point, the Indiana State Police went from running national background checks to only running state-level checks for the purposes of issuing the LTCH. As a result, Indiana was no longer exempt from the requirements of the Brady law, so dealers had to start doing NICS checks on everybody, regardless of whether or not they had an LTCH.

Cash-and-carry sure was nice. :yesway:

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Who the hell would put their SSN on a 4473?

For what reason?

Are we not already deep enough in the gaze of the beast that we must bare our throats to its sharp teeth as well?

I am sure they would have no trouble finding you with or without it .
    Your last line has some real drama, though. Eight out of ten !:rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Indiana was like that, too, up until about 2002. At that point, the Indiana State Police went from running national background checks to only running state-level checks for the purposes of issuing the LTCH. As a result, Indiana was no longer exempt from the requirements of the Brady law, so dealers had to start doing NICS checks on everybody, regardless of whether or not they had an LTCH.

If you have a Utah CFP, in theory you can still do this, however, the IN dealers don't see them often enough to know the procedure (IIRC, they have to call the UT Bureau of Criminal Identification (which issues the CFP) to confirm it's validity.) :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    No, I'm aware that it supposedly helps prevent 'misidentification' and supposedly 'speeds things up' - but there is no one else with my name in the State of Indiana, so there's no need. Yes, the "government" has it, but so far only the IRS has it... no need to give the boys in F-Troop all of my information. It's bad enough that they ask for everything but a blood-type anyhow. My point in all of this rambling, I suppose, is that to go along with bad policy is to support it. And to the extent that I must comply, I shall - to the extent that I do not have to, I certainly will not provide more information than absolutely necessary.

The fact that Social Security numbers exist at all is a point of personal contention, much less their usage as personal identifiers.

And yes, I think the situation calls for some colorful, drastic prose.

:)

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Are you putting your SSN on the paperwork?

I have always put my SS# down on the form......R

To speed up the process and prevent misidentification. Do you really think the Federal government can't get your SSN based upon your name, address and dob, if they want it?

I was thinking the same thing. The federal gov't can probably get more info on you than you think......R

Last edited by a moderator:

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have always been sent to a second examiner since the first gun I bought when I was 18 and I have always provided a SSN. Not sure as to why (not military and never had any legal problems..not even a speeding ticket) and my name is not that common. Never got delayed just sent to a second examiner.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I always put my SSN on the form & I always get escalated but nothing ever happens. Usually only adds a minute or two to the whole thing.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Delayed...

The NICS operation center cannot disclose the reason to the FFL on why a person is delayed or denied. The customer can request the NTN number and call themselves for an explanation. Obtaining a UPN or unique personal identification number may help you from being confused with someone else and speed this process up...

Also having any type of security clearance may cause you to get delayed at the examiner on the phone does have one themselves and cannot access the info that is causing a flag to pop up, thus having to send you up the ladder. Usually on the weekends a person with the credentials that could check into that for some reason is never there or is just overwhelmed and puts them into a delayed status till Monday.. Almost all guys that tell me they have some sort of clearance get delayed, and first thing Morning get the proceed... A UPN again will bypass this...

For the people that don't put their SSN on the form, that really increases your chances of being delayed...

By going only by your name (i.e. John Smith) they are not only searching for that but any combination of aliases that someone else has listed. So an uncommon name doesn't save you..

do you put your social down? if not that might be part of the problem... adding your social really really does help... sometimes a dealer will let you write it on a separate piece of paper and throw it away after the check has been called in.

As for a dealer letting you write your social on a piece of paper other than a 4473 and using it during the call is a serious issue on a legal front. I would promptly not use that dealer anymore, as you both have violated a federal law. If the record is ever reviewed during an audit or the form ordered by a court and found that your SSN was recorded during the check but not on the form.... Well you can only imagine were that road goes....

If your tired of being delayed provide accurate information, and hope for the best.. Or visit the BATFE's website and obtain a UPN..

Last edited:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    My first NICS check I got delayed for about 5 days. My second about 3, then a whole bunch were around 1-3 days and one being 15 minutes. The last couple were all instantaneous. I do not have a common name. I have a guess as to why the last couple went instananeous and the previous one have always been delayed but it has always appeared stange to me that the more checks I have done the quicker they got approved. And I thought they were not keeping track of them (under your name)

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008

Does anyone know why IN went from national background checks to state only. So, does that mean they don't bother to check if a person has a criminal record in another state before issuing the license. I assume they would still check at least for felonies.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    the "government" has it, but so far only the IRS has it:)
    You know that is not true.

IDOR...Indiana Dept of Revenue
    DWD..Department of Workforce Development (unemployment)
    Your County of residence
    City of residence
    DMV
    All your employers
    Banks
    Credit card companies
    And of course Social Security since they issued it, then comes the IRS.

Now if you EVER worked and/or lived in another state, all the above times two.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Does anyone know why IN went from national background checks to state only.

Allegedly it was an issue of money & manpower, and the ISP not having enough of either.

So, does that mean they don't bother to check if a person has a criminal record in another state before issuing the license. I assume they would still check at least for felonies.

If they still checked for felonies on a nationwide basis, that would qualify for a Brady exemption, which we obviously don't have.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You know that is not true.

IDOR...Indiana Dept of Revenue
    DWD..Department of Workforce Development (unemployment)
    Your County of residence
    City of residence
    DMV
    All your employers
    Banks
    Credit card companies
    And of course Social Security since they issued it, then comes the IRS.

Now if you EVER worked and/or lived in another state, all the above times two.

Don't forget that every federal agency in America uses your SSN. Also, bill collectors, ex-wives, debtors, some clubs like the NRA, car dealerships you've bought from, and any other place you may have used it.

Also, always opt to leave your SSN off your license if you don't already. I know most of you do, but for those that don't....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    As for a dealer letting you write your social on a piece of paper other than a 4473 and using it during the call is a serious issue on a legal front. I would promptly not use that dealer anymore, as you both have violated a federal law. If the record is ever reviewed during an audit or the form ordered by a court and found that your SSN was recorded during the check but not on the form.... Well you can only imagine were that road goes....

this was information given to me by my examiner when doing the interview for my license.... although after reading your post i will be very hesitant to do this until i get a ruling from the atf in writing.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    do you put your social down? if not that might be part of the problem... adding your social really really does help... sometimes a dealer will let you write it on a seperate piece of paper and throw it away after the check has been called in.
    The place i bought a handgun at offered this to me. I just put my ss# on the form because there are 2 other people with my first and last name that i know of.

Top Bottom