• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of good suggestion so far. Since this is for the dual role of carry and home defence, suggest a medium-size 9mm.

The full-size guns are ideal for home defense, although one might discourage you from carrying if you're not all that motivated to do so.

The small-ish and pocket guns are very convenient to carry, but sacrifice significant capability that you might want in defending your home.

The medium-size guns are a compromise.

In all seriousness, the optimum solution is to have a gun ideally suited to each role. If you stick with full-size and compact offerings by a particular mfg. you'll often retain some magazine compatability as well (ex. the mags from the larger model may fit the smaller model, this works throughout the Glock line for example, with the exception of the G36).

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    I agree with all posts so far but definitely say look closely at the Kahr CW9 and the Keltec PF9. Both very slim if your emphasis is on thin. I have not shot the CW9 but can attest the function of the PF9. The trigger can be a little heavy but manageable. Both excellent choices in my opinion especially for the price. If price is not an issue then a Springfield EMP would be a great choice as well as the Para Warthog. Very easy to use and a very familiar platform.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    38 sp J frame is what i end up carrying most days. For me, it's easy to conceal.

:+1: I love my G19 when my clothing allows it--but a nice J-frame is intuitive to operate and reasonably comfortable to conceal. Everyone seems to like the Airweights (642/442), but I really like my stainless .357 (model 640). Definitely heavier, but still feels light carried IWB and has pretty light recoil with .38+P.

I think that I trust revolvers more instinctively, at least if they're new, as I've had so many semiautomatics that have required a significant break-in period. But an exception is my G19, which has been flawless from round 1.

jkratzer1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    The Bersa .380 is a great conceal carry gun. They are affordable and shoot straight. Some personal protection ammo gives the .380 caliber some merit.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Kahr CW9 7 shot $450
    Radom P64 6 shot $150
    I own both and both are suited for what you are looking for in a handgun. The price difference is hard to justify. Kahr is a better made gun, but a little pricey.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I think the suggestion to go find and hold and feel a variety and find the one you like is the best first step. "Too Slim" is possible too - and then it becomes harder to shoot accurately and comfortably.

I have a SCCY CPX-1 its almost identical in size to the Taurus 709 Slim and the Kel-Tec P11 - and it was a good deal less expensive than either. It is NOT quite as thin - but it has a extra round or two over the 709 slim and it is still slimmer than MOST 9mm's and snubby revolvers. I've only had it about a month but so far I am very pleased.

There are many good choices - and that's good - because we have different hands and what works for 1 of us -may be completely wrong for another. Good luck with your search (and keep us posted).

"Brother" Bill

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Not what most would think, but you might look at a Sig P6. They can be had for 350.00 to 450.00, and mine was the best shooting 9 I've ever had. Ungodly smooth. The only drawback is that you get slimness by it being only a single stack.

Top Bottom