• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I wanna get into reloading in the next couple weeks and am wondering what do I need to get started and what recommended brands are and what a good starter kit is and extra accessories, and what would be the best brand to go with? I need some help here please

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    This is what I started with about a year and a half ago

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Presses and Kits :: Reloading Press Kits :: Lock-N-Load® Classic Kit Deluxe

Good price on classic kit when it is in stock.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Kit - Natchez Shooters Supplies

The classic kit is good too, but I found this one at a super discounted price so it was worth it. I like the Hornady dies better than the Lee one I got too. I have found that RCBS is really good too. I find the Hornady book to be great as well.

You will find that everyone that reloads has a slightly different opinion just like we all have different favorite carry guns, but Hornady had worked well for me.

Good luck and I am sure that you will find it rewarding.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A little more info would be helpful.

What calibers you looking to load ?

How many rounds do you typically shoot in a year ?

Does loading sound like it would be something you'd enjoy and you could find a few hours ea month to spend at the bench ? Or would time be limited and you'd want to keep the time to a minimum ?

Also look at disposable funds for your components. If you are limited, there is nothing worse than burning through your components in a short hour when the weather is bad and you're wanting to reload...

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'm looking to do .45 and .223 I got around 400 to work with, I shoot as much as I get a chance to, maybe 1000 rounds a month or so?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just got my first kit, the lee breech lock kit, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I can't speak for other kits because I've never tried them, but this had everything I needed except the dies, even the case lube. The kit was around $120, and then $30 per three die set. I believe this is a great starter set, at a great price. Digital scales are really best to get too though.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1,000 rounds a month is a lot. I'd steer you toward a Lee Classic Turret Press. If I could only have one press, this would be it. After you learn the basics in single stage mode, put the auto index pieces and start loading faster.

If that's still not fast enough (you can easily put together ~300 rounds in an evening of 9mm) look into a progressive.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    1,000 rounds a month is a lot. I'd steer you toward a Lee Classic Turret Press. If I could only have one press, this would be it. After you learn the basics in single stage mode, put the auto index pieces and start loading faster.

If that's still not fast enough (you can easily put together ~300 rounds in an evening of 9mm) look into a progressive.

This is EXCEPTIONAL advice, for the specific reloading you mentioned. For a beginning reloader, but one who will shoot a fair amount of pistol and 223 ammo, it is the best option available. The ability to remove the index rod, while learning, and then put it back in for increased productivity make the Classic Turret from Lee the right choice for most new reloaders.

The only thing I will add is this: If you get the Lee kit that can be purchased with the Classic Turret press, plan on replacing the scale. In fact, buy a better model at the same time you buy the kit.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    May want to think about another sport right now. I was just at Cabelas and there was nothing to be had but bare empty shelves with no answers on when things will be back in stock. I dont think you could even find dies.

I am sure you can find stuff but it is going to take a lot of research.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    May want to think about another sport right now. I was just at Cabelas and there was nothing to be had but bare empty shelves with no answers on when things will be back in stock. I dont think you could even find dies.

I am sure you can find stuff but it is going to take a lot of research.

I just ordered dies, powder measure, and a bunch of other reloading stuff from Midway. They had it all except for the powder measure stand and some ammo box stickers. Pretty decent pricing and I got the $50 rebate from RCBS.

Sit at home, place an order and wait for it to show up on your doorstep!:)

All I need is a scale which I will order tomorrow and I should be set!

Top Bottom