• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I just picked up this little gem earlier today, she has a little bluing wear from being carried in her previous life, but appears to be hardly fired. Do you guys have any links to sites that date the gun by the serial number? And the gun is missing the little screw right under the rear sight by the cylinder. I think it is a plate screw, where can I find one of these screws and does the screw need to be replaced before I fire the pistol.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    First :postpics:

Now for the other stuff.

Sign up on the S&W forum (smith-wessonforum.com) and somebody will lead you to both the age of the revolver and probably a screw. I might could tell you if you have a dash number handy or if it has no dash at all.

You can also grab your screw here: Search results for: s&w screw

I wouldn't concern myself much about shooting it without the screw. Just get one ordered and all will be well.

Congrats on a great revolver! I list that one in my top 5 favorite:rockwoot:

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Here are the pictures, the last one I tried getting a close up of the missing screw. I dont think it is a plate screw, it looks to have a bigger cutout than the other plate screws?

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    These are the best looking revolvers. In any condition they just look right.

I have an old Combat Magnum that looks nice in its deep glossy blue, but this Masterpiece is really special. Good job OP.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I love Model 15's. I bought my first one in 1970 and wish I still had it. I have owned and been issued several and I own one now, highly modified by me.

Since your gun has obviously been buggered up by a ham handed previous owner, consider just sending it back to S&W for a look-see and parts replacement. Maybe even a refinish. Just contact them first and follow their directions on how to ship it.

When it comes back at no, or little charge, you will have a like new factory issued revolver. I have done this several times with various K-frames I have owned. I have never been disappointed with S&W factory service. They will call you to advise what they need to do, to restore the revolver to new condition or just operable condition.

That is my advice since that screw appears to be broken, not missing. I don't advise live firing the revolver with a missing side plate screw.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Good pics! And yes, you're right, the top screw on the pre-15 (or k38 or whatever you wish to call them) is larger than the others. I'm sure one could be found easily through a little interwebz looking.

Pretty cool speed hammer on that dude. I "think" your revolver will have a production between 1957 and 1962 (ish). Pretty sure they dropped the 5th screw in 57 and the front trigger guard screw in 62. I don't see many of these popping up lately- good catch!

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    The guys over at smith-wessonforum.com have pointed me in the right direction. The screw I am missing is the upper sideplate screw, also known as the "bug" screw. I was given a list of Smith revolver part sources and now I just have to sit back and wait for a reply to my emails to see if any of them have the part.

And my revolver would have most likely been shipped in 1952

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Classic Revolver! I have a M-10 w/ tapered 4in bbl. Wish I could find a M-15. Those older S&Ws are drying up. Didn't see many at the Valpo Gun Show, mostly plastic semi-autos. You can also find any number of grips and accessories if you look around.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Very nice piece. I have three k 22 masterpieces and consider the series (whether in .22,.32.or .38) to be one of the finest revolver lines ever put out there. Enjoy it. The grips are in excellent shape by the way. Check and see if they are numbered to the gun.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    To paraphrase, "there are few prooblems in this world which can not be solved by the proper application of a K-frame S&W".

Had a Model 10 at the range this past weekend and after finding the right holdover was tagging the 100 yard gong about 4/6 shots.

Top Bottom