• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Hi gang! I finally picked up my first gun, A Ruger p94 chambered in 40 S&W! :rockwoot:

After putting roughly 100 rounds through it, I couldn't hardly hit anything with it. My uncle agreed that it was shooting high and that I needed to float the target. while my group on paper at 15yds, it was about 4.5- 5inches, minus 3 strays, they were all high, at the 11-1 o'clock marks. about 1.5in high to be exact. While with his H&K that he has been training me on, it was about 3-4 inch group slightly low and to the left about at the 8 o'clock mark. It also got to the point, that I averaged hitting the 1in target turning it from black to bright green at least 4 times out of approximately 60rds.

I realize different manufacture guns shoot differently, However I want to be able to shoot and hit a clay pigeon at 25 AND 5Oyards within the first 4 shots like I was able to with his H&K USP 40.

With my newly aquired Ruger, after 11rds, I finally hit my target at 25yds and after 3 10rd magazines at the 50yd, I finally gave up. and it took my uncle 15rds before he hit it.

With his H&K, I have shot roughly 5-600rds through it. Not sure if that matters or not.

But was curious if I needed to purchase new sights for my gun.

You can adjust for windage, but thats it and the front site is fixed.

Any suggestions?:dunno:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First off congrats on your new gun!!!

It could be the trigger? My first handgun was a Ruger p95. I do still have it. Before I had shot anything else I was plenty accurate with that gun. Now many years later and many guns later it takes me qiute a while to get used to that trigger again. Before I knew anything else it was fine, but now that I am so used to other triggers (mainly Glock) the trigger feels really mushy to me. Way more takeup than I am used to. Great gun, just not my favorite trigger.

If the Ruger is what you plan on using for defense I would just stay positive and keep working on the trigger control. If you have been used to the HK it just may take a little more practice. Just my :twocents:. Good luck

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    Ruger shoots high.

Hi gang! I finally picked up my first gun, A Ruger p94 chambered in 40 S&W! :rockwoot:

After putting roughly 100 rounds through it, I couldn't hardly hit anything with it. My uncle agreed that it was shooting high and that I needed to float the target. while my group on paper at 15yds, it was about 4.5- 5inches, minus 3 strays, they were all high, at the 11-1 o'clock marks. about 1.5in high to be exact. While with his H&K that he has been training me on, it was about 3-4 inch group slightly low and to the left about at the 8 o'clock mark. It also got to the point, that I averaged hitting the 1in target turning it from black to bright green at least 4 times out of approximately 60rds.

I realize different manufacture guns shoot differently, However I want to be able to shoot and hit a clay pigeon at 25 AND 5Oyards within the first 4 shots like I was able to with his H&K USP 40.

With my newly aquired Ruger, after 11rds, I finally hit my target at 25yds and after 3 10rd magazines at the 50yd, I finally gave up. and it took my uncle 15rds before he hit it.

With his H&K, I have shot roughly 5-600rds through it. Not sure if that matters or not.

But was curious if I needed to purchase new sights for my gun.

You can adjust for windage, but thats it and the front site is fixed.

Any suggestions?:dunno:

Many reasons can cause this problem, most are associated with the "hold"
    A shorter front sight will bring the groups down. I think I would just aim LOW.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Congrats on the Ruger! An underrated pistol, IMO.

I would attribute a lot of it to the difference between an H&K trigger and your Ruger trigger. Keep shooting it and see if your groups don't start to settle down.

Muzzleloaderbill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Ligonier
    When I got my P95. I was shooting low. The trigger has a lot of free travel. Just had to get use to it. It maybe your hold. After reading a thread on how to hold. I changed my hold and that fix the low hits. Practice and more practice.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I would shoot it from a bench position to determine if it is the gun or shooter, until you shoot from a solid rest position you are just guessing. Then if it is the gun, you can change the sights, or maybe an easier thing would be to change ammo until you find something that shoots point of aim.

Top Bottom