• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I have recently purchased a Glock 17 and several accessories. I am a new gun owner but have always had a fascination with them. The people at the gun shop where I bought my sidearm from, (Tactical Inc. in New Albany,) were extremely helpful in answering most of my questions, but I had a few more and thought after reading the FAQ's and a few of the posts, I would ask here.

1 - I see some people talking about not wanting to carry hollow point ammo in the weapon. I purchased a pack of hollow points and can understand it from the cost side, but is there a reliability factor when using hollow points in a Glock?

2 - I have heard from several websites and by word of mouth that it is NEAR impossible to accidentally discharge a Glock by dropping it. Just curious on this subject and wanted to see if this was true.

3 - Is there any downside to having a Glock not cocked? Before I load my gun, I pull the slide back and dry fire it, just like I was cleaning it. Then I push the magazine into the gun and don't pull the slide back. So effectively, the gun can be cocked by just pulling back the slide and the trigger is not in the "armed" position. I have been doing this around the house because it feels safer for me because I am just learning, but I want to know if there are any downsides to it.

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to hearing your answers! I am a new member to INGO but a longtime forum user and I can tell that this one is far better than most I have seen.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Always function test your firearm with the ammo you intend to carry in it. A properly functioning Glock will eat just about anything you put in it, but guns are individuals. It does happen sometimes that a particular gun won't like a particular load.

Glocks are designed to resist firing when dropped. Any mechanical safety can fail, though. Never trust the gun not to fire when mistreated or handled poorly.

Carrying chamber empty is, in fact, safer than carrying with a round in the chamber. It's also, IMHO, tactically unsound. Even in the house, a very plausible scenario could have you trying to fight off someone trying to force their way in the door, and you likely won't have a hand free to chamber a round. Your Glock just became a rock. Practice, experience, and training can make you more comfortable carrying the weapon as it was designed to be carried, namely with a round in the chamber.

I HIGHLY recommend seeking some training. There are a number of folks here who offer it, I'm sure they'll speak up. I've chosen ACT, one of several forum sponsors, to take training from, there are others that I'm sure I'd be happy with also.

Unless you have enough room to safely shoot on your own property, you cannot take your gun to the range, even locked and unloaded in the trunk, without a LTCH. This means, you can't practice with or test your gun. If you haven't already done so, you really need to snag your License To Carry Handguns.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I have applied for my LTCH and am eagerly awaiting it in the mail. I was unaware, until last night, that it was not legal to take my gun to the range and have already been twice. I have also taken a safety course at the range I went to and imagine that as time passes, I will feel much more at ease with a round in the chamber. I appreciate your response.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are going to carry, then I sugest you choose hollow points. Hollow points will create a slightly larger wound cavity. Also with lighter grain bullets there is less worry of overpenetration. Where full metal jackets are known for traveling entirely through the body. You can carry, without one in the chamber. However I highly reccomend against it. In a life, and death situation you need to be ready to fight. In terms of an accidental discharge, always remember to keep yout finger outside the trigger guard, untill you are on target and ready to fire. Also a good holster will keep you from snaging the trigger when holstering. Hope that helps!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I had a few more and thought after reading the FAQ's and a few of the posts, I would ask here.
    I think I just died and went to Heaven!!! :wwub:

I HIGHLY recommend seeking some training.
    I have also taken a safety course at the range I went to and imagine that as time passes, I will feel much more at ease with a round in the chamber.
    Joe did an excellent job of answering your questions! I just want to highlight the importance of training. First, good on you for already taking a safety course at your chosen range! Second, I hope you're considering taking more than one training. A general safety course is great for getting your feet wet, especially if you're brand new to firearms. Please also think about taking a defensive pistol class, and when you're up for it, take a force-on-force class. It's important to know not just how to use your gun safely and accurately, but how you will react when you use it. Take as many trainings as you can because you'll always take away *something* from the class, even if it's a "what not to do" type of takeaway. :)

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Welcome to INGO.. I am also from New Albany... If you want to go to the range and have not got your LTCH yet, give me a PM.. If I dont have anything going on Ill go with you.. I have a LTCH and if we get pulled over its all good.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Welcome to INGO.. I am also from New Albany... If you want to go to the range and have not got your LTCH yet, give me a PM.. If I dont have anything going on Ill go with you.. I have a LTCH and if we get pulled over its all good.

Very cool offer. In addition, there is an exception in the code that if you are taking your pistol to a place of repair, you may do so in a "secure wrapper" (case) if it is unloaded. This would apply if your range has a gunsmith shop on site, as there is no stipulation that you must be taking it there to BE repaired or that you actually have repair work done. This might help while you're waiting for that license to come in.

Good luck, thanks for reading the FAQ, and :welcome: to :ingo:!!

Blessings,
    Bill

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I have recently purchased a Glock 17 and several accessories. I am a new gun owner but have always had a fascination with them. The people at the gun shop where I bought my sidearm from, (Tactical Inc. in New Albany,) were extremely helpful in answering most of my questions, but I had a few more and thought after reading the FAQ's and a few of the posts, I would ask here.

1 - I see some people talking about not wanting to carry hollow point ammo in the weapon. I purchased a pack of hollow points and can understand it from the cost side, but is there a reliability factor when using hollow points in a Glock?
    Not in a Glock, they work fine.

2 - I have heard from several websites and by word of mouth that it is NEAR impossible to accidentally discharge a Glock by dropping it. Just curious on this subject and wanted to see if this was true.
    Glocks are probably one of the most common pistol to be negligently discharged. Keep your booger picker off of the trigger.
    3 - Is there any downside to having a Glock not cocked? Before I load my gun, I pull the slide back and dry fire it, just like I was cleaning it. Then I push the magazine into the gun and don't pull the slide back. So effectively, the gun can be cocked by just pulling back the slide and the trigger is not in the "armed" position. I have been doing this around the house because it feels safer for me because I am just learning, but I want to know if there are any downsides to it.
    Downsides are it might take you longer to use the pistol if you needed it.
    However if it makes you feel better and safer I say go for it because in the end it is you who is responsible for your pistol.

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to hearing your answers! I am a new member to INGO but a longtime forum user and I can tell that this one is far better than most I have seen.

Glock 17 is a great choice by the way.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    welcome, i had a glock 21 for several years and i was concerned about the safety issue but i feel it was the safest handgun i have ever carried. i promise i could have put it through a meat grinder and it wouldn't fire without my fingers on it. good choice and have fun carrying! btw, you're in the right place for advice!

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    my answers will be similar as others

1 - I see some people talking about not wanting to carry hollow point ammo in the weapon. I purchased a pack of hollow points and can understand it from the cost side, but is there a reliability factor when using hollow points in a Glock?they are typically more expensive but you dont use "self defense" rounds everyday. practice with ball ammo. carry HP. thats not to say you shouldnt practice with the HP rounds you want to carry to make sure they do work ok.

as far as reliability, it should be fine in a glock. reliability issues happen with for example an older 1911 that doesnt have the newer ramped barrel. it relies on the taper of ball ammo to load.

2 - I have heard from several websites and by word of mouth that it is NEAR impossible to accidentally discharge a Glock by dropping it. Just curious on this subject and wanted to see if this was true.always be careful with your firearms but most firearms are pretty safe. not to say to do anything intentionally.

3 - Is there any downside to having a Glock not cocked? Before I load my gun, I pull the slide back and dry fire it, just like I was cleaning it. Then I push the magazine into the gun and don't pull the slide back. So effectively, the gun can be cocked by just pulling back the slide and the trigger is not in the "armed" position. I have been doing this around the house because it feels safer for me because I am just learning, but I want to know if there are any downsides to it.tactically, having a round chambered is much better. its faster. does not require two hands. is just ready to go. if you are not comfortable with a round chambered yet, that is ok. having one unchambered is definately better than not having a gun at all. but it is something you should work on.

oh and welcome to ingo. :welcome:this is a great place to be and learn and sometimes frustrating if you spend too much time in the political forums:D

Top Bottom