• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    3000GT? I always thought those were cool cars.

That would be the 6G72 motor. I had a lightly modified 3000GT VR4 too. Sold it a couple years ago though.
    Mine is an Eagle Talon TSi all wheel drive. It's like a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saw the report a few weeks ago on competition plus and dragzine. Then I thought about his meeting with meeting and doing a promotional video telling people the shouldn't street race. My thoughts went to what John Force would probably say after Chief's crash....that boy saw Elvis when he crashed. They were lucky they had a fire/safety crew behind the scenes. I think it has opened his eyes a bit. As someone who has been involved in motorsports since childhood I know the risks. Yeah I street raced when I was a teen but when I started suffering consequences of it I wised up and will only race on a track. I'm not convinced yet that he is going "pro". I know several people who race promods and have to work a daily job because at that level it is still very much a sportsman class. Soaks up ALL your time to do it but not very many make a living by driving a promod. I think its part of an agreement with NHRA to start racing in a legit series

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't expect to see him racing with NHRA on a regular basis. I would venture to bet he may step into a role much like Jeff Lutz. I can see chief getting involved with something like NMCA. Where he can race with an organization once a month and still have time for taping the show(his cash cow right now) and can still manage family life.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah they seem to have gotten things smoothed out. I think Chief and Discovery channel had to come to a mutual understanding with NHRA. Now they can all be friends again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Grew up in and around racing as well. Yes, we were serious street racers. Yes, we lost friends and privileges from doing it.
    When Raceway park started the wed. night run what you brung racing we became regulars.
    If you had a big money race you did it there in the staging lanes. The lights do not lie. The police were there watching as they initiated this event to curb street racing.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    After having to go through defensive driving school twice and having my license suspended after several tickets, I knew I had to wise up. I still know some guys who are still into the street scene but I don't think they will ever grow up. Plus I have noticed most "street racers" over estimate how fast their cars are...seen too many finally go to the track only to be shocked how much slower their car is than they thought. And how little many actually know about tuning their chassis. It often humbles them a bit

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After having to go through defensive driving school twice and having my license suspended after several tickets, I knew I had to wise up. I still know some guys who are still into the street scene but I don't think they will ever grow up. Plus I have noticed most "street racers" over estimate how fast their cars are...seen too many finally go to the track only to be shocked how much slower their car is than they thought. And how little many actually know about tuning their chassis. It often humbles them a bit

That was where I had a serious advantage over most street racers that really believed bolting slicks on the car would put them in the promised land.....:):

It was really fun watching them struggle with staging and using the lights. That takes time/practice/time. Probably won as many races from someone getting overwhelmed in the lights as just outrunning them.
    And the look on their faces when the reality of how fast there cars weren't was fun as well. I always knew exactly how fast my cars were with a given tune up.
    The questions as to why I was twisting bolts under my car when we drove into the track always amused me. Knowing where all the service stations with good air were located on the way home was a plus as well.

Drag racing is not easy. Especially since the advent of electronics. Launch controls, shiftnoids, 2 to 4 rev chips in the harness, all this takes time/practice to master.
    I grew up racing 3 peddle cars and always laughed at the automatic guys.........until I made the switch when I returned to the dragstrip after a 20 year lay off.
    Transbrake launch chips proper selection of stall verses tire height/gear shift chips and on and on.
    Then jump to Super Pro and try to master a delay.....................:faint:
    I gave up on the delay box. My son could use it but I just let that go.

Unless you have a serious sponsor and make the tour you will not make a living at the dragstrip. If we placed one or both cars in the money and managed to pay at least entry and fuel expense that was great. Once we put both cars in the big check and bought new slicks for the fast one and 2 drums of Cam-2.........Glorious.

If sportsman racing you will not make any real money but you sure will spend a lot.....:):

You do it for the love of the sport. At least we did.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spoke to a buddy that does the nationals start to finish.
    He is the Bracket announcer at the park so he knows drag racing front to rear.
    He is a lifetime friend and grew up street racing together.
    Anyway...he will be looking up The chief. I can hardly wait for that time and speed report.....:)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely right electronics are a game changer. We have had plenty of aggregations dealing with the learning curve with ours and we have limited ourselves some by not letting it become overwhelming. It certainly costs a lot of money but we do it because we love racing and for us it's a family deal. Me, my brother, dad and uncle make up the team and every race mom, grandma, wives, kids all go to the track. Good times....mostly we sometimes butt heads

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Spoke to a buddy that does the nationals start to finish.
    He is the Bracket announcer at the park so he knows drag racing front to rear.
    He is a lifetime friend and grew up street racing together.
    Anyway...he will be looking up The chief. I can hardly wait for that time and speed report.....:)

[video=youtube_share;3GBVyM5DKGk]http://youtu.be/3GBVyM5DKGk[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spent half an hour on the phone with my buddy that attended the Nats. He got to spend some time with Chief and his group.
    His main thing was they are humble and easy to talk to. Down to earth regular guys.

I am to understand the CrowMod is running pretty much the same engine that was in the GTO clone.
    Iron block/Edelbrock heads......Nothing seriously special there. It will be half a second out from making the field for a while with this combo and the way they are running it right now. Totally different world on a treated track.

Top Bottom