• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wow. Great for him. Good to see fish like that are still around. I love reading about the huge catfish that are/were in the white river.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I cant believe he only took 20 min to land it!WOW!

20 minutes is almost hard to believe.

It seems like that thing would have to be really sick and/or lethargic to be reeled in that easily, assuming he was using a normal test line. If he had some deep sea rig going on then maybe, but that monster would just break your line if you didn't tire the hell out of it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Love to hear about these monsters still being found now and agin.

I really wish that picture was real though. I mean, come on now. He's holding a 70 lb striper up at shoulder level with one hand??

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Love to hear about these monsters still being found now and agin.

I really wish that picture was real though. I mean, come on now. He's holding a 70 lb striper up at shoulder level with one hand??

Look closer... He's standing next to it but not holding its weight. Whatever is holding it up is out of frame.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Look closer... He's standing next to it but not holding its weight. Whatever is holding it up is out of frame.

The pic as viewed on my phone looks like a circus mirror reflection, everything is shortened top to bottom and expanded side to side. Even when I expand it, I still seem to see very sharp outlines around the fish, like a bad photoshop job.
    However, I do now see what looks like a blue rope or cable extending from the lower lip of the fish on further examination.

Thanks, Mike. I didn't catch that before. (No pun intended)

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    That is a hog. My biggest to date is 23#, caught on Watts Bar in Tennessee and it took me about 15 minutes to get it in the boat. My late uncle in TN really got into striper fishing the last few years before he passed away. He caught a LOT of stipers but could never break the 40# mark.

True striper story:

When one of my cousins in TN was in high school, one of her classmates called in sick to school on day in February. He skipped school and went fishing below the warm water discharge at Melton Hill power plant. He managed to catch what was the TN state record striper at the time that day (back in about 1988). His "I was sick and couldn't come to school" excuse didn't hold up.

Dirty Steve

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Something just does not look right about that photo which makes me question its authenticity. The fish seems to be some distance away from the angler. To have his hands in thos positions, the fish would have to almost be in contact with him. For a 70 pounder, it also does not seem to be applying much tension to its lower lip. I would expect it to look a little more stressed, strained and stretched. I suppose that it could be suspended by more than just its lip, but it is not obvious. Personally, I would not bet money that the photo has not been altered. Just my opinion and I am wrong a lot of the time.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    20 minutes is almost hard to believe.

It seems like that thing would have to be really sick and/or lethargic to be reeled in that easily, assuming he was using a normal test line. If he had some deep sea rig going on then maybe, but that monster would just break your line if you didn't tire the hell out of it.

It's all about setting your drag just right. I have caught some real nice bass and catfish on ultralight setups before.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's real, here's another picture:
    Alabama-Angler-Catches-Monster-70-Lb-31-Kg-Striped-Bass.jpg

Source: Alabama Angler Catches Monster 70 Lb (31 Kg) Striped Bass - Softpedia

Top Bottom