• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just looking at specs, I see Auto Ordinance is listing their lightest paratrooper M1 model at 5 lb 6 oz whereas Bushmaster (for instance) is listing their SuperLight Carbine at 5 lb 1.6 oz (with red dot). The Carbon 15 is listed at 4.3 lbs. Hmm.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Shop around. Ive heard good things about the new Auto Ordnance M1 carbines. That said, I would look hard at a USGI Carbine. I just picked up another one at the Stout Field show for $625. It is a solid gun and had good reading on the muzzle wear gauge. Turns out it was a first serial # block Postal Meter. If you look you can find one, but the USGI are going higher in value. I have owned 2 so far and no problems whatsoever.
    Someone else on here mentioned a Mini 14. I love mine, just make sure you get the newer (post 2003 year I think) that is the Ranch Rifle. They are much more accurate than the old ones. If you shop you should find one for $650 give or take a few $.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    This comment is not correct,
    The early ones were, except for reciever all Military parts
    Do a little searching on the carbine on the net you may be surprised what you will learn.
    Here is a site thats jam packed with info
    on both WW2 and commercial carbines

M1CarbinesInc.com

If you can find one for 600 absolutely pick it up.

But stay away from the early aftermarket carbines like Iver Johnson and universal. Those parts are NOT interchangeable, and reliability is hit or miss.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "History & Romance"

I agree with USAMP1980. With the options available to fill the niche originally occupied by the M1 Carbine, history & romance are the only reasons I can think of to own one! To me that means more of a collector than a shooter. The M1 Carbine is just like the M1. They may be fun to own and shoot but, from a practical point of view, there are better options. :twocents:

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with USAMP1980. With the options available to fill the niche originally occupied by the M1 Carbine, history & romance are the only reasons I can think of to own one! To me that means more of a collector than a shooter. The M1 Carbine is just like the M1. They may be fun to own and shoot but, from a practical point of view, there are better options. :twocents:

AGREED!!!! But I would NOT trade either one of my two USGI carbines for any of them!!! Probably.....:D I love mine...yes for the history and romance, but also for the functionality. They work for me, but everyone is different for sure. I have one dressed with a Ultimak mount, red dot scope, and black synthetic stock. Can put back original post haste. The other is a more rare UNQUALITY carbine. Both are great shooters but only bang around the synthetic of course. And Ireload my own ammo so it is cheaper. You can still get 50 round rds for less than $20. Not any more expensive than some. . Try some of the different options and pick what best works for you...:) GOOD LUCK...

Top Bottom