• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    well after about 4 or 5 months of fighting for it it sounds like i will be changing jobs within the next week. I will be going from grind/cleanup with the occasional "substitute" welding job to a full time mig welder. the reason i am posting this is because several of you have helped me through open posts, pm's, and texts as i learned how to weld and i want to thank you all for the help. In the last few months i went from never touching a mig welder to welding production and some high pressure stuff on my own time. I still have a lot to learn but my boss is going to teach me as i go. I am so grateful to be part of such an awesome community of folks that will help someone they never met so thank you to everyone that helped out:ingo:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Congrats. Welding is one of those skills I always thought would be great to know but never got around to doing.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    When i was a kid i didn't want to get into metal work but my junior year i got into machining then taught myself how to stick weld and then in the last few months a friend would spend lunch with me helping me out and then i would come home and talk to some ingoers to give me more tips. Its so relaxing all that matters is what you see through a tiny lens and you just sit there and control it all in your own little world. right now i am spending my lunch learning how to tig weld which isn't going as smoothly as the mig welding but not everything is easy.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    its been rough. running angle grinders for 7.5hrs a day really gets to ya. i've been told i was transferring a couple times but i was told last week to start tying up loose ends in my booth that i wouldn't be there much longer and today my card stopped working in the machine where i get my supplies so i asked what was going on and i was given the paper work on my transfer. i am so excited to get out of my current job. I was talking to my grandma and i told here i am not afraid of dying because i've already been to hell, its that bad lol. i was told it will probably be next week when i start.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congratulations! A good welder can pretty much write their own ticket. I only got a little taste of it back at General Motors Institute back in 1978, in a production processes class. We'd weld (just brazing and arc welding), and then stress test to see if our welds held up. Mine always broke base metal before the weld. It's something I would like to learn again.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    Congrats on launching a new career! Keep grabbing opportunities when they come along and always keep learning and growing your skill-set. The more you know the more valuable you become and the money should follow. Best of luck on your new journey.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Congratulations. It's great to see you are cutting your own path and being proactive to make things happen instead of waiting for things to happen to you.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Props, too for sticking it out in the horrible job long enough to create the opportunity. That likely told your boss something about you, too.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    thanks for the kind words. really it took me telling and showing the boss i was going to weld whether he liked it or not so he may as well fire me or get me certified. everytime he walked away i would jump over to a booth and start welding non critical welds until he finally said i could be a substitute welder for when the other guys called off then i just proved myself from there. it got to the point that one of our major customers asked that i be the only person that welds a certain part and that really got the ball rolling.

as for the tig i was asked if i understood that i cant change jobs for 6 months after i switch to mig and to that i replied "good that gives me 6 months to practice tig";)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Nice to know people still have a passion for what they do. It's easy to fall into the daily grind of work, and just go through the motions. It sounds like you are not that type. You will go far.....best of luck in your future.

Top Bottom