• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    LEO: You are right. In order to have a safe range there have to be rules that go low to protect everyone. This is where the advantage of two separate rooms may come in handy. I have been to ranges when it was slow that all the lights were off on one side to save money, and the shooters were bunched together, even though there was lots of room. I don't know what the policy will be, but I don't think it will be expensive to light both rooms with the high technology lighting that is being installed. When the ranges aren't full I could see a separation of sorts after the range gets going, and peoples skill levels get known. That will be suggested anyway.

On your back table story: One jerk probably ruined your shooting that day. It could happen anywhere, unfortunately. It would be wonderful if there was a "jerk detector" at the front door . . . . I don't know what the policy will be when people don't follow the rules. That is what we are dealing with now.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In general the most enjoyable and successful indoor ranges I have seen were in Norfolk/Chesapeake VA area. Per square foot, there are a lot of shooters in that area.

Actually keeping an active eye on the shooting is important, both in person and with video.

Rapid fire is defined as when the shooter is no longer able to keep the rounds on his target.

No way in hell at a public range I want the average shooter drawing from holster next to me BUT I want to do that myself. Start a club within the shop. Members prove their skills or learn them first, reserve blocks of time for club shooters to practice. If you want to draw, "join the club" it's a rule. Safety first but skills growth matters too.

Not a rule, but sponsor an IDPA club and shoots. It provides opportunity for Urban bound shooters, puts a lot of shooters in the range 1-2 nights a month and it helps grow the shooting community. It also crates a core group of safe shooters who frequent the range more like it is a club.

I use to live not far from there, great see this, good luck!

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thank you, Zoub for your suggestions. I don't know exactly what his plans are in this area. I do know that he will be offering memberships, at several different levels. I can't remember all the details on the different levels. I also know that the memberships are going to be discounted when he first offers them. Around, or before the grand opening.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't shoot indoors much but when I do I have a few things that bother me.

1. Ammo restrictions: There is a range here in town that wont allow lead ammo. I get the "AP" or tracers...that's obvious. Hell, maybe lead is banned everywhere indoors, I don't know, but it shocked me. Aren't you supposed to have proper ventilation anyway?

2. Idiots behind me with guns-no tables, no mag loading, no nothing please. I can understand a coat hook.

3. Range supervision sweeping my brass away before I can pick it up. C'mon...I'm paying to shoot, Ill clean up when I'm done or stepping on my brass. I shouldn't have to shoot a mag, and instantly hit the deck to recover my 15 cases. If you cant tell by my little plastic ammo boxes all over the bench that I reload, you should be working at McDonalds, not a gun range. While this may not be a "rule", it happens and should be addressed with staff.

4. Make all who want to shoot, watch a safety video beforehand. It seems common sense to us, but not everyone has the same level (if any).

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from the range, and had lunch with the "boss," so I had lots of time to ask some questions about what is going on here in this thread.

A lot pertain to Bocefus78s comments, so I will start there. #1 Lead is allowed. #2 This has come up a lot: There will be NO tables behind the shooting lanes. #3 You are CERTAINLY ALLOWED to pick up your own brass, but only your own, please. Not all the brass on the range. If I am the RO that day, I will help you! #4 Everyone must watch a range safety video before they can shoot the first time.

A few other things that have come up. You are more than welcome to bring in your own handgun ammo. Rifle ammo; you must purchase from the range. But, inexpensive steel cased, etc. ammo will be available, not just the expensive stuff. .22 rifles you can bring your own, and lead is OK.

I made a mistake in an earlier post. The ranges are 50' long, and 25 yds, 75" long. During tactical training the longer range can be opened up, and you can shoot from anywhere on the range.

There are already arrangements being made for at least one League.

Zoub in post 42 above made some suggestions about being able to draw from a holster. That has already been addressed at the range. There will be a "class" about drawing, holstering, drawing and shooting . . . Taking that class puts you into the "club" that allows you to draw and shoot. That is a simple explanation, as there will be other opportunities too, but the "class" will be mandatory at this time.{ in order to draw and shoot, tactical reloads, etc.}

Gee, we went over so many things, I am sure that I will remember more later to answer your questions.

Tom

Last edited:

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    One other thing, while I am thinking of it. Above, I mentioned that I thought it would be a good idea to keep both ranges, IE: both rooms open and lit all the time, so that we could, at our discretion, direct the more experienced shooter over to the tactical range, and keep the guy with his family, or the brand new shooter in the first range away from the guys who are doing monzambique drills, tactical reloads, drawing and firing in the other room. Or, lets say there are only 4 shooters there. Two on one range, two on the other. Everybody has lots of room, and it's safer for everyone. He agreed with me, and thought it a good idea. Quite frankly, I think he had already thought that would be a good way to do it . . . .

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you really need any rules besides the 4 basic safety rules to have a safe shooting range? :dunno:

Other "rules" are more like range etiquette.Like that you should pick up your brass and dont leave trash behind you.
    I have been to range where the rules said walking with a loaded gun was not allowed.Yet I have seen people doing that and it was never unsafe as long as they followed the 4 safety rules.
    Gun pointed up and finger off the trigger, if I see that it doesn't matter to me if the gun is loaded or not.

When you start adding too much rules people dont know them or dont follow them.
    If everybody followed the 4 safety rules, only 4, then you wouldn't have any accidents at the range.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sylvain: The four rules certainly are important, and, as you said, alot of "rules" pertain to range etiqette. BUT, as you well know not all people are personally responsible for their actions, a lot of people are just inherently unsafe, and rules are necessary. Rules to protect the shooter, and rules to protect the range. An example: AP ammo. No body really likes rules, but go back to the intent of this thread, and me trying to find out about opinions on unnecessary, and frivolous rules. . . .

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Do you really need any rules besides the 4 basic safety rules to have a safe shooting range? :dunno:

Other "rules" are more like range etiquette.Like that you should pick up your brass and dont leave trash behind you.
    I have been to range where the rules said walking with a loaded gun was not allowed.Yet I have seen people doing that and it was never unsafe as long as they followed the 4 safety rules.
    Gun pointed up and finger off the trigger, if I see that it doesn't matter to me if the gun is loaded or not.

When you start adding too much rules people dont know them or dont follow them.
    If everybody followed the 4 safety rules, only 4, then you wouldn't have any accidents at the range.

Example of the kind of people "rules" are made for: local range has a rule that all guns must be holstered or in a case unless on the firing line. I stopped a person that was walking from his car to the range with a uncased rifle. When I informed him of the rule his response was "Well the gun store didn't sell me a case with my gun."

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Single Six: You seem to be surrounded with people, and uncased rifles. I imagine that you are cognizant of them due to it not only being a range "rule," but also a State of Indiana "rule." Better you tell them about it than them being stopped by a Police Officer, and them seeing it uncased on their back seat!! I wonder how it would go if he told the Officer," They didn't sell me a case with the rifle."

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Single Six: You seem to be surrounded with people, and uncased rifles. I imagine that you are cognizant of them due to it not only being a range "rule," but also a State of Indiana "rule." Better you tell them about it than them being stopped by a Police Officer, and them seeing it uncased on their back seat!! I wonder how it would go if he told the Officer," They didn't sell me a case with the rifle."

I was on the board for awhile for my range and thus noticed these items more.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Don't put any tables, shelves behind the firing line. EVERY place that has one ends up with idiots loading and handling guns behind the backs of people who are shooting properly. Bad situation.

THIS is my biggest pet peeve about PB vs BGF. A couple months ago I had 3 new shooters I was helping and I had 5 or 6 guns...and I had to turn my back on them (unloaded) and my ammo to pay attention to my shooter. The others were standing near my gear but they wouldn't notice if one of my guns or a box of ammo went missing. At BGF I could stash my stuff under the shooting bench.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Lori: It is indeed unfortunate that we can't turn our backs on our property, whatever it is, or wherever we are. With no tables behind the shooting positions it solves a lot of problems, like that, and others. Right now there isn't an additional "shelf" or elevated platform down lower to put equipment on the shooting lanes. I would like to see that done. I doubt that it is done before the opening, but I see it soon in the future. That was one of the items that was discussed today when I met with the owner.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I wasnt aware that by law rifles had to be cased? Can you cite code? (not that Im disagreeing with that stipulation as a range rule)

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    No, Camera monkey, I can't. I looked real quick, and couldn't find anything. It has always stuck in my mind though that rifles needed to be transported in a "secure case."
    I have always transported rifles cased in the back of my SUV. If I had a trunk I would case them and put them there. I may be wrong about it being law. Perhaps someone else will know, and chime in.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The "danger" in transporting a long gun uncased in the cab of your vehicle is that some over zealous conservation officer will accuse you of hunting from a vehicle. If you must know how I know that send me a p.m.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis

#4 Everyone must watch a range safety video before they can shoot the first time.

Rifle ammo; you must purchase from the range. But, inexpensive steel cased, etc. ammo will be available, not just the expensive stuff.

Zoub in post 42 above made some suggestions about being able to draw from a holster. That has already been addressed at the range. There will be a "class" about drawing, holstering, drawing and shooting . . . Taking that class puts you into the "club" that allows you to draw and shoot. That is a simple explanation, as there will be other opportunities too, but the "class" will be mandatory at this time.{ in order to draw and shoot, tactical reloads, etc.}

Tom

I'll address these as 1, 2, and 3.

1) I would prefer to have a video playing on a monitor continuously while people wait. I assume that we will all already have to sign a waiver and an acknowledgment of the range rules? Don't over-do it.

2) I don't care for a range telling me I have to use their ammo in my own guns. Ever. What's the point of us buying ammo if we can't shoot it at your facility? If I score a player deal on some bulk rifle ammo, that's my business. I shouldn't have to add to you making a profit by forcing me to buy your ammo. Goes back to one of your first posts about nickle and diming. Prime example. If you're concerned about people shooting tracer and steel core, make sure you have ROs who aren't just there to look pretty walking up and down observing, which they should be doing anyway.

3) I REALLY hate this. I despise memberships at public ranges in general. Pop's Guns is a prime example. But I have an even bigger disdain for ranges that make you take a bulls**t class in order to do something on the firing line. How would you even enforce that? Would we have to wear special T-shirts, or wristbands? I don't see an effective way to differentiate who is "in the club" and who isn't. Besides, I don't trust most gun shop commandos to teach me anything, probably because I used to work at one. Jackassery is not exempt because you stand on the other side of the counter. Either trust your clientele enough to act in a safe manner, or don't.

Alot of these issues I have could be negated by a RO who is actively doing their job.

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    I'd say keep guns in case or holster until on the range
    Reload clip in designated station then load clip at the shooting station
    Make sure they have watched a video of the rules and regulations before shooting

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd say keep guns in case or holster until on the range
    Reload clip in designated station then load clip at the shooting station
    Make sure they have watched a video of the rules and regulations before shooting
    639560f5e188da1f761b18693afc494c.jpg

5455318+_0ca014d49d88e47281ff31e3c93e9906.jpg

(sorry, we're sticklers for accuracy here.)

Top Bottom