• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I understand and accept ranges that have a rule against drawing from a holster to fire. It's not always my preference, but with people who are new to shooting being on the same range as more experienced people, such a rule may be necessary.

I dislike, and do not understand, ranges that have a rule against *removing* from holster in order to shoot your carry weapon. Since many people are going to shoot the gun they carried out of the house that day, people are going to break that rule inside their cars in the parking lot, which is the second-worst place to do it (worst-of-all would be in the store/rental area).

The best place to remove a weapon from its storage or carry method is on the range, facing downrange. This is also the best place to reload and holster to carry out.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable in a room with five random strangers practicing their quick-draws next to me. However, I have never been at a place where someone got shot because of that. I have been at a place when someone shot themselves reloading their gun in the car (the 1500). Ranges should permit and encourage the inevitable administrative handing of transitioning a carry weapon into a range weapon and back again in the safest place available to them: on their range.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am sure everyone sees the need for banning AP, Tracers, incendiary ammo at a range. The damage caused could be extensive. I am not sure, but banning steel cased is probably for the range's convenience in selling fired brass. There could be another reason, I don't know. I do know that at this range the fired brass isn't going to be sold to some big company. It is going to be made available to the people that shoot there.

On full auto, and rapid fire: I am almost sure that full auto will be allowed. The walls floors etc. can easily handle it, but if you are shooting the walls, floor, ceiling, you have no business shooting full auto. I personally don't see the range owner banning double taps, and training shooting, but I also don't see him allowing fast crazy shooting either.

On ceilings, floors, and walls. They can certainly handle ammo hits, but for example if you hit the ceiling back stops they are covered with heavy acoustic tile that must be replaced if shot up. I don't think that any range doesn't expect some of this, but would not put up with too much.

The problem with banning steel cased ammo is that you ramp up the cost of shooting pretty heavily, especially for people who who AKs. Non-steel 7.62x39 is very expensive, comparatively, and 5.45x39 is virtually non-existent. If the reason steel would be banned is because the range is collecting the brass to reload and sell back to consumers (which is pretty much the reason any range would ban this), then I'll take my business elsewhere. I certainly don't appreciate having my additional costs increased just to line the business's pockets at my expense.

As to the wall, ceilings, and floors, I would fully expect the range to eject someone who was going in there blazing away (whether full auto, bump-fired stock, or even just fast semi-auto) if they were bouncing rounds everywhere. My point was that has been a reason I have heard for a range to not allow full auto fire. Personally, I always make sure my rounds make it to the backstop. :ar15:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have shot at Roush Lake frequently. The State rules seem to work out well there. They don't allow holstered handguns, Federal Property leased back to the State. The Lawyers will have everything to say about the Rules.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    PULL TRIGGER: I personally agree with everything that you said, and I think that is the way things should go. I don't understand the reasoning behind the rule of not taking your carry gun from your holster ion the range. If there is a good reason I am going to find out what it is. I am very doubtful that rule goes into effect at the range. If it does I certainly will find out why, and try to arrange to have the reason posted with the rule.

Ranges don't normally collect brass to reload. They scoop it all up and sell the unloaded brass to another company to reload, or to sell as fired brass. Some ranges do have reloading equipment, but normally only reload pistol brass. Ranges don't want the steel brass, because they either have to sort it out, or take a much lower amount for their brass.

I don't know for sure, but in line with the owner's thinking I doubt if steel cased ammo will be banned. If it is, then there is another reason that I don't know about.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You guys are right about lawyers. They will have a lot of input. Lets face it, lots of people are looking to sue. They see it like hitting the Lottery. Every business needs to protect itself, BUT I have been trying to do a lot of reading, and looking about range rules, and by golly there is some Micky Mouse stuff out there. The range wants their rules to be as reasonable as possible.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Don't ban steel cased ammo. If it needs to be separated from the brass, use a magnet. I like to use steel cased at an indoor range so that I don't have to annoy everyone else by trying to pick up every last piece of brass.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Trigger time. Are you saying that they come out on the range with a video camera, or are you talking about normal security cameras? There are security cameras everywhere video taping you. Every store you go into nowadays is doing that.
    I know that bit they don't need to have a single camera on every range. I'm gonna start using technology to blind cameras while im there

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would like to know what the "longer tactical" range is/means? As far as the rules, if I can't draw and fire, to include double taps or more than 1 per second, I won't frequent that range. I do a lot of cold weather shooting at indoor ranges just to keep the edge, and if I can't "train as I fight", I'll stay home with my SIRT and do as I please for free!

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Rule: Loaded carry firearms must remain holstered until you are on the firing line. Do not allow unholstering and clearing rounds at the gun counter.
    Agreed. and don't forget that ALL firearms are assumed to be loaded.

THIS! And dont go full derp and require that carry weapons be unloaded and cased prior to arriving on the property (including a prohibition on handling said gun in the privacy of your car in the lot).
    Agreed. I am walking in with a loaded firearm on my hip most of the time.

Drawing from the holster should not be prohibited. Some ranges dont have an official posted policy and just ask that you do so carefully with safety in mind, and not try to beat the clock. I think that is reasonable.
    Agreed

Don't put any tables, shelves behind the firing line. EVERY place that has one ends up with idiots loading and handling guns behind the backs of people who are shooting properly. Bad situation.
    Mixed feeling on this one. Last time at PB two people sharing a lane next to me were loading mags at the shelf and inserting them into their handguns. I do not know if they were racking one in or not but I believe this is against the rules. Clear your weapon in the stall, remove mag, holster empty handgun (without mag) and proceed to back counter to load mags) I like Parabellum's droppable table for "draw practice" but I do feel somewhat uncomfortable having my back to my equipment while shooting and vice versa. Especially if I have brought more than one weapon. At BGF, all of my gear is right in front of me under the table at my knees. Draw practice is a little different not being able to drop the table but is manageable. I have wondered if both their table and storage were lowered 8 inches if this would be an improvement.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Be sure to prominently post the rules, whatever they are, about kids shooting. Nothing messes up a family range trip like finding out that one person or the other has to quit after the session has begun.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I don't usually care for indoor ranges, but when I do go, I hate seeing ammunition restrictions, aside from those that do damage, Im fine with no AP or Incendiary type restrictions. I won't go to a range that makes you buy their ammo, and I dislike any range that won't allow drawing from a holster and doing reload drills. Also, don't ever ask anyone to share a lane, if all the lanes are taken, then the next shooter has to wait. A local indoor range often asks people to share lanes, but still charges full price, hence why I won't go back. Also, if the range is split into 2 separate room, keep both rooms open all the time. I know it costs a lot in utilities, but a new, or inexperienced shooter may really appreciate having the option to go to the unoccupied side by themselves.

Good luck to your buddy, I think this is a tough business to be in, but if he runs it right, he will be a hero to the gun community. Also, if the range can be adapted for competition shooting 1 or 2 nights a week, that may make him more money, and more loyal customers than having it open just for lane shooting every night of the week.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Vigilant: To answer your question about the longer tactical range. There are two ranges, each consisting of six lanes. The first range that you come to when entering the range area is 25 yards long. The second range, which is a separate room adjoining the first is, I believe 35 yards long. It could be longer than that, but not much. The first range is designed so that you need to shoot from each range station. The second range can be opened up to do tactical training sessions, and the shooter will be able to shoot from anyplace on the range. This will be used primarily for tactical training classes. I don't know exactly how everything will work, as I haven't been involved with that type of training, and classes.

Mike, thank you for the good wishes. I will pass them along. I don't think he is looking to be a hero, but as a long time shooter he is working hard for a nice facility, with top notch training. A place to go and enjoy yourself, with fair prices, and policies. That is the why of this thread. I had mentioned to him the number of complaints that I had read about ranges and "unreasonable" rules, and his reply was, "I sure wish I knew what they were, so I could work around them if at all possible." He, of course, knew about some of this, and has already addressed it. It would be better if he was doing this thread, but just doesn't have the time right now.

Scafe: In your instance: that would be terrible. I would hate for that to happen to me. That is just bad administration on the ranges part. That should all be handled when checking in. You should also make it clear to the employee registering you in that you have children with you. The employee should be very clear with the rules regarding children at that time.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    How about - "Naked Wednesdays" :rockwoot:
    Guaranteed to bring in some business. Make sure to pass out flyers at all the strip joints in the area.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm looking forward to the new range when it opens!

I'd say a wall of shame would be a good thing to have. someone breaks the rules, post their pic and refuse service for a year.

After what happened at Beech Grove Range and the fire they had I would have cameras on every stall. If you have something to hide go elsewhere.

Not something to hide, but someone to hide from... :tinfoil:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Having been present when a quick draw practice went bad, and close enough that the schrapnel cut my shoe and left a small cut on my foot, I don't like to be around people doing that on a concrete floor. I know this statement will probably tick off the people who have done it repeatedly with no problem for years. The man in question did show remorse and bought me a new pair of shoes so he was not a total jerk about it. It is just a fact of life that you have to engineer safety rules in a range business for the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately, it seems that factor is getting lower and lower.

Last night at an indoor range three people came to shoot after I was started. Three out of three loaded and dripped the slide behind my back. I took the time to politely introduce myself and point out the clearly posted rules. Two told me that the rule makes sense. One told me to mind my "own ###### business". "A gun going into battery with a round chambered behind my back IS my business" was stated as diplomatically as possible.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom