• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    And when you finally decide on one, it should definitely be a range gun too. You need to use your self defense gun to the point that you can manipulate it from muscle memory.
    You don't want to be fumbling with your gun when the bad guy is in the house! Those guys generally don't respond well to "hold on...I can't find the safety".:):

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    Welcome to INGO. Choosing a handgun depends on what you expect it to do for you. I have a friend that has a Highpoint and loves it. He carries it all the time and has never had a failure. Not my first choice, but then a 1911 isnt either. Make it something you are comfortable with, can afford to shoot and spend some time learning how to shoot it and how it works. Too many people don't know how it works, and don't know how to fix it under pressure when it fails.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Pretty difficult question to answer! Most people have definite opinions about which "brand" and "caliber" they prefer ~ usually the one that they bought. However I am different. I have many handguns ranging from fairly expensive Colts, Kimber ect. to Davis and Cobra. I have calibers from 44 mag. to 22 LR. I carried a Colt Double Eagle 45 ACP for about 20 years and really like the gun, but as I age it became too heavy and harder to conceal. I now carry a Kimber Solo in 9MM.

Dependent on what your intentions are in using the handgun, a revolver may be a good choice. They are about as dependable as any firearm and work well with just about any ammunition from shot shells, +P hot defense loads to very light target loads. However they are somewhat more difficult to carry concealed as the cylinder is "thicker" than most semi-auto handguns.

If your intention is to use the firearm for target practice and home use only, a longer barrel will give you a longer sight radius, therefore usually easier to shoot more accurately when targeting. Personally a 22 caliber is a great target firearm, however I would not recommend this caliber as a "defense" round for carry or home use. Although it can be a lethal round in order to stop a bad guy quickly (before he harms you or your family) shot placement is very critical. The minimum defensive caliber I would recommend (or use) is a 9mm. My home defense firearm is the Colt 45ACP and as I stated the 9mm Kimber for carry (with high quality +P defense rounds ~ currently I am using Hornady Critical Duty and / Federal HST rounds in the Kimber).

Your best bet is to shoot as many different handguns as you can, judge the "feel", your accuracy, and find the one you like the best! If you were close to me I would let you shoot several of mine so you could get the feel of different calibers and types of handguns.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

As I was reading through the thread I was thinking of this as I saw the link...

You have a nice gun with the sig that is for sure... But buying one of the guns from this list would serve you wonderfully and then you won't have to worry about buying one later for home defense unless you want. Same if you choose to carry it. Plus by that time you will that much more knowledgable and be able to pick something you truly like and want for you.

Oh and welcome to INGO! Glad you are here!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Rather than answer a question with more questions in an effort to show the depth of my firearms knowledge, I will answer the OP's question. Get a 4" medium frame revolver in.38/.357 caliber. Move on to guns with knobs and switches and loaded chamber indications later, if you want to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Don't get hung up on a list of guns per se. But the ones I mentioned is a good starting point and could be used for both carry and home defense. My personal recommendation is a 4" Walther PPQ, Glock 19, or Smith M&P. They are big enough to shoot and light enough to carry.

I keep a Sig P226 for a dedicated home defense gun. So obviously I think highly of them afterall I trust Sig reputation and quality to be the last item between my family and what would do them harm. I appreciate an all metal frame when using a weaponlight, plus the 21 round capacity is heart warming. But the gun is heavy.

Most people eventually want a smaller gun for those times when a pistol is best left unseen. So better just budget for three pistols now. :):

Top Bottom