• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    My wife wanted an upgrade from her Knight muzzleloader for firearms season and I was looking for a low maintenance deer cannon. Decided to go 357 Max to keep the recoil low but still have some reach. I received my barrel from MGM a couple of days ago and put it together. Haven't shot it yet but the machine work tells me it is going to be a good one. I had the stock set made by High Plains Stock Gun Stocks in purple laminate. Topped with a Burris Fullfield II 3X9, which has been a proven performer on the cheap. I went with Weaver tactical rings to satisfy the mall ninja in me. Can't wait to test some loads with Hornady 180 SSP and AA 1680.

VvaHS.jpg

kj1OO.jpg

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Finally shot the Max today. Very happy with the accuracy so far with AA 1680 and Hornady SSP 180.

5 Shots @ 50 yards -- .643"
    imX9i.jpg

4 Shots @ 100 yards -- 1.104"
    aypDo.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    That's some good grouping! Have you tested it at any distances greater than 100 yards? I would be interested in just where it drops off that couldn't be compensated for by BDC. I've been thinking about a new deer gun and am wondering about caliber to go with.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That's some good grouping! Have you tested it at any distances greater than 100 yards? I would be interested in just where it drops off that couldn't be compensated for by BDC. I've been thinking about a new deer gun and am wondering about caliber to go with.

With my Handi Rifle 357 Max, I'm getting velocities that put me about + / - 3" to 200 yds. + / - 2" to 180. Forget the zeroing distances though, I'd have to find my load notes.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy

I have not gone past 100 yds. yet. Next trip will be 200 yd range, hopefully with a chrono. It is easily under an inch at 100 yds if I do my part. The admin over at 357maximum.com is using the exact same load. He found a 165 yard zero is +- 3.6 at 100 and 200. His site is great and actually was a catalyst, along with Bellm TC, for my choosing this caliber.

Top Bottom