• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm getting in to plowing this year so anyone in the Greenwood-south Indy area, let me know and I'll get you a price. Also willing to travel a little for bigger jobs.
    any advice from others that are plowing is always appreciated!

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Pick up a rear blade when you can, look at some videos on YouTube. Take it easy on your equipment, don't try to push to much at once.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If this is your first year plowing, I'd plow for another company to learn the ins and outs of it. Doing good clean work quickly takes some developed skill.

Keep spare parts in your truck. I've had to change starters, alternators, batteries, lights, etc all in the middle of a snow storm on the Roadside.

If this truck is also your daily driver, get ready for some large repair bills too. I put almost 6k into mine last year....and didn't make that much back thanks to almost no snow.

Also have a backup guy and truck on standby for blizzards, breakdowns, etc.

Good luck.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If this is your first year plowing, I'd plow for another company to learn the ins and outs of it. Doing good clean work quickly takes some developed skill.

Keep spare parts in your truck. I've had to change starters, alternators, batteries, lights, etc all in the middle of a snow storm on the Roadside.

If this truck is also your daily driver, get ready for some large repair bills too. I put almost 6k into mine last year....and didn't make that much back thanks to almost no snow.

Also have a backup guy and truck on standby for blizzards, breakdowns, etc.

Good luck.
    I probably will sub off of another contractor, but I do have one commercial lot and a few driveways lined up so far.
    this truck will be only for plowing, and I'm looking for a second cheap truck for a spare-second driver.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I've seen them on YouTube. I didn't think they looked that great. Do you have one?
    just doesn't seem like I'd use it that much.

I have a Daniels brand. When you do a normal drive, you have to pull in and pull the snow away from the door, then turn around and push all that snow out out the drive. When you have a rear blade, you back in, drop both blades and push/pull it all at one time. Not needing to turn around and not driving on all the snow speeds you up alot.
    I plow a hospital & normally stay in the ER when it's snowing, sometimes I also do the ambulance bays (garage doors, not a lot of turn around room) , the rear blade makes it quicker. Both of the spots have 1 enter/exit and all the snow has to be pushed out to the service road so the backhoe, bobcat, different Truck and I take it sometimes to a spot just down from the exit/entrance so it can be pushed onto the grass. I have also just used the rear blade at times, with other trucks doing the YMCA next to the hospital.

I picked mine up used and have some were around $800 in it.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    It's not in Brownsburg, that I know of.
    I used to work with him at my full time job & plowed for him for a couple of years after he quit.
    What's your truck and plow?

Sending you a PM with his contact info.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I probably will sub off of another contractor, but I do have one commercial lot and a few driveways lined up so far.
    this truck will be only for plowing, and I'm looking for a second cheap truck for a spare-second driver.

If you would be interested in a 86 GMC 1- ton with a flat bed , send my a PM & I'll put you in touch with the owner . Good truck & I think he didn't want an arm & a leg.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I've got $500,000 now. I'll raise it if I end up subbing and it's required.

I know what you have, that's why I told you to raise it to $1M.:p:shady:

About 3 years ago, I watched the owner drive over a light pole with a backhoe, the pole almost got a car. I'm not sure what that cost, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. I have never had to use it, but after watching that, I'm glad I have $1M.

Top Bottom