• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Go ahead. It's good practice and still entertaining. Don't worry, I'll distract the bully....

I saw a Serbu in the classifieds for $200!

(You have the floor Josh)

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have ALWAYS notified when stopped. I do this because I know many LEOs and know that they appreciate it. Also, I would rather them know ahead of time rather than see it and get jumpy. When I get pulled over it goes a little something like this...

Officer approaches car. I already have my window rolled down and my hands remain on the steering wheel.

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Me: I was probably going a little too fast.
    Officer: Ok, license and registration please.
    Me: No problem, first I want to make you aware that I am carrying a loaded firearm.
    Officer: Ok, do you have your LTCH?
    Me: I do.
    Officer: Ok, go ahead and grab your registration and your LTCH with your Driver's license.
    Me: No problem.

In two instances the officer never even asked to see the guns, one speciffically stating, "As long as I don't see yours, you won't see mine." A third time the officer did ask to see it, went back, ran my info, and brought me back my gun, unloaded, with the ticket. He did ask that I not load it until he had pulled away. Of the other two times I did not get a ticket, merely a warning, and was thanked for the way I handled the situation.

I do not feel in any of my encounters the officers were unreasonable, nor do I feel like my rights were violated.

Remember, attitude is everything.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have ALWAYS notified when stopped. I do this because I know many LEOs and know that they appreciate it. Also, I would rather them know ahead of time rather than see it and get jumpy. When I get pulled over it goes a little something like this...

Officer approaches car. I already have my window rolled down and my hands remain on the steering wheel.

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Me: I was probably going a little too fast.
    Officer: Ok, license and registration please.
    Me: No problem, first I want to make you aware that I am carrying a loaded firearm.
    Officer: Ok, do you have your LTCH?
    Me: I do.
    Officer: Ok, go ahead and grab your registration and your LTCH with your Driver's license.
    Me: No problem.

In two instances the officer never even asked to see the guns, one speciffically stating, "As long as I don't see yours, you won't see mine." A third time the officer did ask to see it, went back, ran my info, and brought me back my gun, unloaded, with the ticket. He did ask that I not load it until he had pulled away. Of the other two times I did not get a ticket, merely a warning, and was thanked for the way I handled the situation.

I do not feel in any of my encounters the officers were unreasonable, nor do I feel like my rights were violated.

Remember, attitude is everything.

If your weapon was taken from you and handed back disassembled, would that make you feel differently about notifying?

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I was pulled over by an Elkhart County Sheriff Dept. deputy earlier today. I was speeding on a rural county road. When he walked up, I already had my registration, DL, and LTCH in my hand. This is how it went down.

Him: I pulled you over because you were speeding. Any reason you were going so fast? I clocked you at 56 mph. The speed limit is 45 mph.
    Me: I'm sorry sir, I guess I didn't realyze I was going that fast.
    Him: License and registration please.
    Me: Here you go sir.
    (as he sees my LTCH) Him: Do you have a gun in the car?
    Me: Yes
    Him: Where is it?
    Me: On my hip.
    Him: Just leave it there please.
    Me: yes sir.
    Him: I'll be right back.
    (2 minutes later)
    Him: I'm just going to give you a warning. Please slow down and have a nice day.
    Me: I will. Thank you. You too.

For doing 11 over the limit, I thought for sure I was going to get a ticket. I think that being polite and notifying the officer before hand got me out of the ticket.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I was pulled over by a state trooper recently after he had followed me for 19 blocks. I had a headlight out that I wasn't aware of. He asked for my DL and registration. From previous experiences, I keep my LTCH hiding behind three or four other documents so it can't be seen by a quick glance. I handed him my DL and registration. He went to his car. He came back shortly with a written warning. He explained he had to give me something if he pulled me over. I thanked him and told him I would get the headlight fixed as soon as I could. He was very polite and professional throughout the stop.

I had my SIG P250c beside me the whole time during the stop. As you can see, my stop went just as well without informing the trooper I was armed.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I usually avoid the situation by driving in manner that won't get me pulled over in the first place. Saves me time and headaches.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    If your weapon was taken from you and handed back disassembled, would that make you feel differently about notifying?

Not really.. I mean, If he was a d*** and litterally took apart every peice, yeah, I would probably have a word, or a lot of words, with his superiors, but I would still do it the same way. It's just how I like to do it and I think it works out better for me in the long run. Cops in indiana have always been calm and pretty respectful, as long as you treat them in the same manner. That is what I will continue to do.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Not really.. I mean, If he was a d*** and litterally took apart every peice, yeah, I would probably have a word, or a lot of words, with his superiors, but I would still do it the same way. It's just how I like to do it and I think it works out better for me in the long run. Cops in indiana have always been calm and pretty respectful, as long as you treat them in the same manner. That is what I will continue to do.

Yes, "calm and respectful". Like the state trooper that stopped me for doing 57 mph in a 55 mph zone. As I was getting out my DL, he saw the little pink piece of paper. He then asked if I was armed. I said I was. He then asked to see my firearm. As I was getting it out, I noticed he was standing along the highway, with his hand on his weapon. He was in some sort of weird quick-draw stance with his left arm extended straight out. I handed my Glock 23 to him. About five minutes later, he came back to my car and asked if my Glock was loaded and if it had a round in the chamber! He had been messing with a loaded gun for five minutes or so! (This was in 1994. ISP had just switched over from revolvers to Berettas not too long before this incident, if I remember right.)

I'm not even going to mention the "calm and respectful" New Castle police officer that screamed at me and called me a menace to society because I happened to have my Remington riot gun in the back seat of my car.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Yes, "calm and respectful". Like the state trooper that stopped me for doing 57 mph in a 55 mph zone. As I was getting out my DL, he saw the little pink piece of paper. He then asked if I was armed. I said I was. He then asked to see my firearm. As I was getting it out, I noticed he was standing along the highway, with his hand on his weapon. He was in some sort of weird quick-draw stance with his left arm extended straight out. I handed my Glock 23 to him. About five minutes later, he came back to my car and asked if my Glock was loaded and if it had a round in the chamber! He had been messing with a loaded gun for five minutes or so! (This was in 1994. ISP had just switched over from revolvers to Berettas not too long before this incident, if I remember right.)

I'm not even going to mention the "calm and respectful" New Castle police officer that screamed at me and called me a menace to society because I happened to have my Remington riot gun in the back seat of my car.

Wow ! I wonder what Mr. Scaredy Pants does during deer season ?

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Ohio huh? dang I bet it was hard to get your permit! anyways... If the officer ask you if you are carrying any conceal weapons or weapons in general, Obviously yes! even if he doesnt ask it would probably be a good idea to notify the officer anyway.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I don't tell. What difference should it make if I am stopped for speeding or a bad headlight? I am not speeding because I am fleeing a crime. I am not keeping the fact that I have a firearm a secret, but if it doesn't come up in conversation I don't feel the need.

If I am asked I will tell the truth. If he pulls on me because of it something else must be wrong. Also curious why you would hand a loaded firearm to anyone that you didn't want to shoot it. Pointed in a safe direction, drop the mag or cylinder and ensure it is safe, then hand it over. I do that when I hand over any firearm for someone to look at. Unless they are shooting at the time, they don't need a hot pistol.

Top Bottom