• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One option to consider is a paratrooper model. We have a Russian SKS, a normal Norinco and a Norinco Paratrooper and of the three, I like the feel of the paratrooper much more. It feels a bit better balanced than the full size ones and feels a lot more like my AKs in handling.

If you can find an early Russian SKS, it will have the advantage of already having a firing pin spring. That can be added to any SKS, but the early Russian ones were delivered with it.

There are a lot of different configurations between the Yugos, Norincos and others. I've never shot any but the three I have, but the Yugo with the grenade launcher looks off balance.

When you get one, check out the TechSights. I run them on one of my Norincos and will put them on the other Norinco as well because they make a huge difference. The increase the sight radius significantly

All in all, the SKS is a great rifle. When you get one, buy some stripper clips. Once you get used to using stripper clips, you come to really like them.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    The Yugo SKS is arguably the best built manufactured variant. But the barrels were not chrome lined, so if you decide to pick one up give the bore a good inspection. By the way, they have an attachment at the end of the muzzle that allows you to fire rifle grenades. Once you flip up the grenade launching sight you have to manually open the gas port again.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    The Yugo SKS is arguably the best built manufactured variant. But the barrels were not chrome lined, so if you decide to pick one up give the bore a good inspection. By the way, they have an attachment at the end of the muzzle that allows you to fire rifle grenades. Once you flip up the grenade launching sight you have to manually open the gas port again.

The Russians are the best quality SKS's... that is my opinion and basically everyone elses that knows and owns SKS's. The prices of the the rifles pretty much reflect that. I have heard guys claim that the Romanians are better quality than the Russians. The Romanians are getting harder to come by.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The Russians are the best quality SKS's... that is my opinion and basically everyone elses that knows and owns SKS's. The prices of the the rifles pretty much reflect that. I have heard guys claim that the Romanians are better quality than the Russians. The Romanians are getting harder to come by.

I second that the Russians are the best. However, any sks is good.

With the strong aftermarket for the sks and millions built, parts are easy to find. Buy something in original form, and if you want to change anything, keep the original parts. You will be putting them back on.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I second that the Russians are the best. However, any sks is good.

With the strong aftermarket for the sks and millions built, parts are easy to find. Buy something in original form, and if you want to change anything, keep the original parts. You will be putting them back on.
    ^^^ This. My Yugo was in a synthetic stock, but the original furniture came with it also. First thing I did was put the wood back on.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you get an M they take AK mags.

I have an sg works stock on mine and it really updated the usefulness of the weapon.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    www.SKSboards.com

LOTS of helpful info on this site!! I did a ton of reading about SKS here before i bought one a few yrs ago. About the only thing i can tell you is to make sure all the numbers on the weapon match, so you know it hasn't been parted together. There are 7 or 8 different places/parts marked with the serial number that should all match.

You also want to check the barrel and gas tube for corrosion/pitting etc since alot of the 7.62x39 ammo is old military surplus and corrosive.

If you're looking for a way to mount a scope on the SKS don't waste your time and/or $ with the reciever cover mounts. (They don't hold zero. I never tried this but was told this SEVERAL times)

They are a lot of fun to shoot, i'd pick one up for sure if i was you.:ar15:
    ive never had a problem with my scope holding zero with the new reciever cover but maybe im the lucky one lol

Top Bottom