• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I am thinking of getting an SKS for my next purchase. I have bought 3 Mosins am looking for something a little different. I would like to know what to look for or stay away from. Any suggestions?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Everyone has their opinions but I'll give you my :twocents:

Stay away from the bubba rifle.... Plastic furniture, 80 round magazine etc etc

Stick to a factory/original configuration - they run the best.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    www.SKSboards.com

LOTS of helpful info on this site!! I did a ton of reading about SKS here before i bought one a few yrs ago. About the only thing i can tell you is to make sure all the numbers on the weapon match, so you know it hasn't been parted together. There are 7 or 8 different places/parts marked with the serial number that should all match.

You also want to check the barrel and gas tube for corrosion/pitting etc since alot of the 7.62x39 ammo is old military surplus and corrosive.

If you're looking for a way to mount a scope on the SKS don't waste your time and/or $ with the reciever cover mounts. (They don't hold zero. I never tried this but was told this SEVERAL times)

They are a lot of fun to shoot, i'd pick one up for sure if i was you.:ar15:

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I did go ahead and "bubba" mine up a little and put it into a Tapco stock set that uses detachable mags. I did the bolt mod so I can insert a new mag with the bolt closed if need be.

I kept all the original parts so I could put it back if need be, but mine has worked flawlessly in the Tapco setup. I'm sure in the long run they work better in the furniture they're designed for though.

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    Thanks Wheezy50 there does seem to be a lot of good info on that site. And I don't mean to offend anyone that wants to bubba thier gun, I have seen some pretty cool ones. It's just not for me.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    J&G sales out of AZ has some nice ones. They are $319 now, but if you watch them you can usually catch them on sale for $269.

I bought one on their Black Friday sale and it's really nice. :yesway:

C&R Guns

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    At the price point for rifles that shoot 7.62 x 39mm, I'd spend a little more and get an AK. Depends on what you really want to do with it, the SKS's are a blast to shoot, but they are a pain to clean. Once I got an AK, I decided the SKS would go.

Not trying to bash the SKS in any way; they are neat rifles, very historic, a blast to shoot accurately, and function flawlessly. I just found the same thing for the AK with the added bonus of not being as difficult to field strip or clean.

My :twocents:...

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    At the price point for rifles that shoot 7.62 x 39mm, I'd spend a little more and get an AK. Depends on what you really want to do with it, the SKS's are a blast to shoot, but they are a pain to clean. Once I got an AK, I decided the SKS would go.

Not trying to bash the SKS in any way; they are neat rifles, very historic, a blast to shoot accurately, and function flawlessly. I just found the same thing for the AK with the added bonus of not being as difficult to field strip or clean.

My :twocents:...
    i really dont think sks is any harder to clean personally i think it is much easier and take down is about the same with a few minor differences .... but i do love the removable fire control group makes for very easy cleaning of the trigger group over an ak (when not removing axis pins) but over all i think a ak takes more time to clean properly...(there alot more area for crap to hide in a ak action a sks is very smooth machined action combine with easy removable of parts makes cleaning a breeze)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's like anything, a matter of opinion, I wasn't trying to contradict the others, just adding another perspective. I just know that with my SKS, I had some trouble with the grenade launcher/gas port when I didn't clean it well with the corrosive ammo, and I've never had issues with the AK. Some would say that the AK doesn't ever even need to be cleaned, but I clean all of my stuff meticulously...

I like the SKS. It's a fine rifle. I just like my AK better and I see them as similar in many ways.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Russian SKSs have a chrome lined bore and chamber. Yugo SKSs do not. If you are going to bubba an SKS, do it to a Yugo or Chinese. Or better yet, purchase a WASR AK-47.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's like anything, a matter of opinion, I wasn't trying to contradict the others, just adding another perspective. I just know that with my SKS, I had some trouble with the grenade launcher/gas port when I didn't clean it well with the corrosive ammo, and I've never had issues with the AK. Some would say that the AK doesn't ever even need to be cleaned, but I clean all of my stuff meticulously...

I like the SKS. It's a fine rifle. I just like my AK better and I see them as similar in many ways.
    Eh, what the heck... get both! ;)
    IMG_1106.jpg

I would recommend getting Tech Sights though if you do go with the SKS. I got them for mine, and I was skeptical at first, until I shot it with them. Now I want them for my AK too!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co

i agree im pefer my ak's as well but when i want take a little more of a precise shot normaly a coyote ill pick up my yugo sks but when in comes to farm security ill grab a ak over anything else

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    If you look around you should be able to find a SKS with a milled received and ~500 rounds of 7.62x39 for about the same price as a WASR AK. The Russian SKS is very nice and there are also some nice Chinese milled rifles out there as well (M 21s are nice quality). Great fun, cheap, and reliable.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    If you want a SKS for collecting get one in its original configuration with numbers matching. A lot of the SKS's you see are missing some of the original parts - 10rd box mag , bayo, cleaning rod, receiver been replaced with a scope mount type and original lost etc.. If you want to alter one do to a mismatched rifle or keep your original parts. I have one I shoot that is bubba'd up and my keepers are mostly matching #'s.

That is my 2 :twocents: on the SKS. I personally prefer the SKS over an AK myself. Some guys love the AK's but I am weird and love the SKS's. You are just north of me so if you want to shoot one or look some over send me a PM.

Here is by bubba shooter that I shortend the barrel on and added an A1 flash hider. It now has a Magpul grip and am working on a mag release for easier/quicker mag swaps.

SKSshortie001.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you can't buy a Russian, get a Chinese. Look for a milled receiver, IMO.

I wouldn't trade my SKS for 10 Mosins.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I took a Bubba'd Norinco SKS on trade before, I won't do that again. It had a few issues with it. I traded it to a local gunshop a few months later and got a nice 91/30 and a bunch of ammo for it.

I still wanted a SKS, so i picked up a Yugo SKS from Cabelas about 2 months ago. Nice gun, good price, and i have a fun time shooting it. I am leaving it original. The Yugo sks is heavier than others because it has the grenade launcher and grenade sight, along with the bayonet and long barrel. If you do want one with a high capacity mag a few SKS's were made to accept AK mags but they are harder to find. Definately look around SKSBoards, lots of info on there.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    The detachable aftermarket steel mags are hit and miss with feeding. I have not heard of feeding issues with the Tapco 20rd mags.They sometimes fit tight in some stocks and a litttle filing of the stock is needed to fit freely. As stated earlier the fixed 10rd (or 20rd) mags feed great and reloading with stripper clips is a breeze. I run Tapcos in my shooter SKS but often load them on the gun with strippers.

If I bought a Yugo 59/66 for a shooter I would remove the launcher. That is extra length and weight that is not needed IMO. I have read where a 59/66 will group better after cutting it down and recrowning. Sometimes short cycling occurs after this and the gas port has to be opened up a little. SKSboards has some good info on the barrel cutting process. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys here but that forum is devoted entirely to the SKS. Again just my 2:twocents:.

Top Bottom