• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freeclimber57

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    A good friend of mine offered his browning belgium 20 ga. made in 1958 in the fn factory. its the one with the vent rib. It's stock has been refinished to almost perfect, 1 small crack in forearm.2 small cracks in stock. prob 70% blueing left with one small pit mark on barrel. the gun looks pretty nice. He is asking $1000 for it. Havent decided if I want it yet, if I buy it it prob will never be for sale. Not a big shotgun man other than rabbits, turkey......is this a smart buy? All opinions apprec.

Last edited:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    A good friend of mine offered his browning belgium 20 ga. made in 1958 in the fn factory. its the one with the vent rib. It's stock has been refinished to almost perfect, 1 small crack in forearm.2 small cracks in stock. prob 70% blueing left with one small pit mark on barrel. the gun looks pretty nice. He is asking $1000 for it. Havent decided if I want it yet, if I buy it it prob will never be for sale. Not a big shotgun man other than rabbits, turkey......is this a smart buy? All opinions apprec.

Just from your info. you say refinished to almost "perfect" then you say 70% blue left and cracks in forearm and stock? The 20 gauge Brownings do bring a little more than 12 gauge but that one does not sound like a $1000 gun! The price of Browning A5s have fallen in recent years as the younger generation has so many more options on the market and the generation before that loved A5s has aged to the point they are not buying anymore! Supply/demand has kicken in, bigger supply than demand. Just one mans opinion, hope this helps! Now a real good Belgium Browning A5 20 gauge in 90%+ condition will bring that on the national market like Gunbroker! Only you can decide for sure.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A5 guys are extremely picky and price varies a lot.

Look at the screws to see if the gun has ever been taken apart (are they mangled?), or if it has was it a good job. Who did the stock refinish? Browning or a gunsmith (Art's in Missouri is pretty good and well known)? Does the action seem smooth or does it feel like there is 60 year old great gunked up in the spring? Is the trigger still pretty crisp gold or does it look rough? Does the barrel recoil and move fine or does it seem rough and caked in crud?

$1000 for what you've listed does seem high, but A5s in great condition can go for that easily.

Top Bottom