• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Ok, here's the situation. I have a new Spikes 14.5" lightweight middy that's getting a new handguard. It has a pinned Dynacomp on the business end so it will be a handguard that uses the factory GI barrel nut. I don't want a quad rail. I have narrowed the list to include:

13" Troy Alpha/13" Troy VTAC
    12.37" Samson/Rainier Arms Evo(made by Samson)
    Fortis Rev 12"

The Fortis is the lightest of the group, but has a full bottom rail. I won't be using a VFG on this rifle.
    Troy Alpha is kinda harsh on the hands when not wearing gloves.
    Troy VTAC is slightly heavier than the rest, but maybe a good compromise.
    Samson just came out with key mod tube, but the Rainier looks better IMO.

Am I missing something on my list? Or will I be happy with any of the above choices? Opinions and experience helpful.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I just installed the Troy Alpha on Sunday. It thought it was very easy to install and I had no issues installing it over the factory barrel nut. The anti-rotation works well. It is light weight but seems to be very balanced with my Rainier Match barrel.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I just installed the Troy Alpha on Sunday. It thought it was very easy to install and I had no issues installing it over the factory barrel nut. The anti-rotation works well. It is light weight but seems to be very balanced with my Rainier Match barrel.
    Thanks for that info. Have you had any range time with it yet? I fondled an Alpha at the last gun show and it felt like a cheese grater! I've heard Squid Grips will help with this though.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Thanks for that info. Have you had any range time with it yet? I fondled an Alpha at the last gun show and it felt like a cheese grater! I've heard Squid Grips will help with this though.

I have not. I was hoping to get out yesterday but I was not able to. I will be heading to the range this weekend. It is a little rough but I've heard that sonme of the others are too smooth. I will be buying some squids for it.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Alpha definitely has a cheese grater feel unless you have man hands!! JK.. I have extremely rough hands from wrenching on cars and trucks daily ... A glove would probably be wise anyway during high heat rapid shooting because of the close proximity of the rail to the barrel...

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I was going back and forth between the Alpha and Midwest Industries SS 2 gen. I didn't like to the MI because it did not have a anti rotation and it uses a special MI barrel nut. I do like the Evo after looking at the link. Maybe I will try it one my other AR when I add a FF rail to it.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I went with the Samson Evo Keymod rail and think it's a great option to consider. I have sold all my Troy products after hearing about this Please address this. - AR15.COM
    I remember when that happened. Troy ended up firing him because of the social backlash (what did they expect?). I have never used Troy products previously. The Rainier Evo was at the top of my list before Samson came out with the keymod version, so it has currently jumped over the Rainier version. I have read reports that the Evo may work itself loose after awhile. Any indication of this happening to yours?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I was going back and forth between the Alpha and Midwest Industries SS 2 gen. I didn't like to the MI because it did not have a anti rotation and it uses a special MI barrel nut. I do like the Evo after looking at the link. Maybe I will try it one my other AR when I add a FF rail to it.
    The needed removal of the barrel nut eliminated the MI in my case.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    No backing out issues in around 1,200 rnds. I think most of those issues where improper install but who knows. Uses same type of clamping setup as the troy but has 2 anti rotation taps and they added a set screw to insure no issues with it backing out. I actually bought the non keymod about 2 weeks before the new keymod rail came out. When I saw the new version after only have the old one for 2 weeks I emailed Samson and asked about maybe swapping it out for the new version and they said sure so imho customer service is top notch.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No backing out issues in around 1,200 rnds. I think most of those issues where improper install but who knows. Uses same type of clamping setup as the troy but has 2 anti rotation taps and they added a set screw to insure no issues with it backing out.
    Thank you for the info! Did you get it from Midway?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a Fortis REV 9" and 12" with no complaints. Very solid, super light, comfortable enough to wrap a hand around.

Also have the MI SS12G2 on a PSA upper. Didn't have to do the install myself so didnt mind the proprietary barrel nut. Light, solid, easy on the hands. Only complaint is with the rail sections. Instructions recommend torquing to 15 inch lbs. and they aren't joking. Any more torque than that and you WILL break the all too brittle plastic.

On another I have an 11" Troy Bravo. Considering that it is a quad rail, it's relatively light. Uses the factory barrel nut and has 4 tabs on the nut to stay in place. I had it cerakoted so I cant say how it would feel with bare hands. With the cerakote it feels great. Squeeze as tight as you want and no hurt fingers.

Personally, its a toss up between the REV and Bravo. When I purchased the Bravo, primary arms was having a sale and I got it for under $130 shipped.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    i tend to lean towards light weight
    That's the purpose behind this rifle, which is the Fortis Rev at 9.2 oz. (which is 1.7 oz lighter than the Samson Evo keymod). I don't necessarily like the full bottom rail on the Fortis, but I'm guessing they needed it for strength since they cut so much metal out of the sides.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a Fortis REV 9" and 12" with no complaints. Very solid, super light, comfortable enough to wrap a hand around.

Also have the MI SS12G2 on a PSA upper. Didn't have to do the install myself so didnt mind the proprietary barrel nut. Light, solid, easy on the hands. Only complaint is with the rail sections. Instructions recommend torquing to 15 inch lbs. and they aren't joking. Any more torque than that and you WILL break the all too brittle plastic.

On another I have an 11" Troy Bravo. Considering that it is a quad rail, it's relatively light. Uses the factory barrel nut and has 4 tabs on the nut to stay in place. I had it cerakoted so I cant say how it would feel with bare hands. With the cerakote it feels great. Squeeze as tight as you want and no hurt fingers.

Personally, its a toss up between the REV and Bravo. When I purchased the Bravo, primary arms was having a sale and I got it for under $130 shipped.
    In regards to the Fortis products, do you need rail covers on the bottom rail to make it feel comfortable for your support hand?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    In regards to the Fortis products, do you need rail covers on the bottom rail to make it feel comfortable for your support hand?

Depends if you have man hands or not. I'm fine without but then again I typically work 60 hours per week of manual labor in a factory so my hands are pretty rough. My sister and her fairy of a boyfriend didn't care for it until I put on the magpul afg2.

BTW, primary arms has 25% off all handguards starting today.

SwissnSteak

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2014
    Goshen
    I have had nothing but good experiences with my midwest industries rail on my AR. I run a heavy barrel under it and cant really tell the difference between weight in it or my troy rails. I have been waiting on Fortis to make a 10'' rail

Top Bottom