• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matodd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2011
    Delphi
    At this time a Kahar CM9 is my carry gun, but I am starting to develop arthritis in the joints of my thumbs. Due to the pain it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to rack the slide, I believe that it is becoming a safety issue when I need to unload the gun. I am looking for input on a different carry gun, that is close to or the same as my CM9 ( in size and function) but with a lighter slide spring. Any help?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    At this time a Kahar CM9 is my carry gun, but I am starting to develop arthritis in the joints of my thumbs. Due to the pain it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to rack the slide, I believe that it is becoming a safety issue when I need to unload the gun. I am looking for input on a different carry gun, that is close to or the same as my CM9 ( in size and function) but with a lighter slide spring. Any help?

What is your method of racking the slide? You can probably get by just fine by adjusting your technique. An "over the top" style slide grip puts little-to-no pressure on the thumbs.

sm_punch.jpg

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Buddy of mine has a Ruger LC380 and he said its the easiest slide he has ever manipulated, it shoots a .380 though so not sure if thats what your looking for and is a little bigger than your Kahr. I have never shot it so I have no first hand expierence with it but I do have a Ruger LC9 and its a pretty easy gun to shoot and carry (I carry it in a pocket holster). The Ruger's do have a safety on them but you don't have to use it if that bothers you.

Good luck on your search!!

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I would stay away from the J Frame revolvers, because your joint pain is not going to be helped by the recoil.
    Pocket 380's in my experience, kick like a mule. The Glock 42 is in my opinion, a possible exception to this rule. The 42 I fired, was easy to rack.
    Good luck.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How about a Sig P938 or P238 (9MM or .380) They are very very easy to manipulate the slide, very small and I just took my P938 (9MM) out shooting today and shot about 100-130 rounds out of it with no hand fatigue/pain at all. I cannot recommend that series of pistols enough. Plus for a carry piece the triggers are pretty sweet.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    +1 for the sig p238. I shot my buddies a few weeks ago and I recall it being easy to operate and light on recoil. Plus it's just a nice gun, I'd like one but I have issues carrying nice guns. I mean I'd cry a little if I scratched it. I want a G42 but haven't shot one yet, it felt nice handling it though and who cares if you rough it up it's a glock ;) Good luck.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    My suggestion would also be a Glock 42. Easy to cycle the slide and very soft recoil for a pistol that small. First I would try the above suggested slide cycling technique.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    Some good thoughts previously posted but with your arthritis and a semi-auto you could also be developing a limp wrist recycle issue. A small caliber wheel gun might be a good option.

Top Bottom