• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Sorry if the post doesn't belong here but I couldn't find a proper place for it. I need info on armoring up. I'm taking a job and the boss man says he wants me to get some body armor. Now honestly we have not discussed If I am to buy it or he is yet but I guess I'm just seeking info. Best brands what to look for yada yada. What I'm going for is:

Concealable soft body armor
    Comfortable because I have to wear it 8 or more hours a day
    Ability to stop up to the crazy stuff like the big Magnums would be nice.
    What do I need to know about plates and should I even wear them.
    Brands
    Ball Park on the Price would be awesome.
    Places to shop for it and best ways to obtain the vest.
    Are they a one size fits all sort of deal or do they make them in size Fat.
    Tips for a armor nOOb and anything I missed.

Please don't PM me with offers because I've been out of work for awhile and I just don't have the Cash to buy yet :(

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Typically, the more it'll stop, the less comfortable it is.

I think this would have been better in the survival or gear sections.

I would suggest looking into Steven R. Jenkins law enforcement supply on the east side of Indy. They carry new and used concealable armor.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    An idea of the type of work would be helpful in advising you. In regards to the level of protection, consult NIJ levels for a more thorough understanding:here
    -Not one size fits all, they do definitely offer "Fat" and even "super fat"
    -Plates are required for protection against rifle rounds.
    -Plates are not available in a truly concealable package that also covers much, and they are expensive.
    -Comfort is relative, no matter the brand, you will know you are wearing armor and it will take getting used to it. The higher the protection rating, the heavier it will be. You will also sweat under the armor no matter the time of year.
    -For brands, check Safariland's website and PointBlank
    -Be wary of used body armor. Kevlar breaks down over time via the sweating and drying cycle. Eventually it will not offer the same level of protection as when it was new.
    -Price: depends on the level of protection and brand. for a level IIIa from a name brand, expect around $800-1000+ last time I looked

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You need to buy soft body armor that is rated to stop the ammo that you carry.

It is not anymore complicated than that.

Don't bet your life on ANY body armor. Deputy Heck was killed by a round that his body armor was capable of stopping. The 45 ACP round bounced off the the upper edge of his body armor into his head. He did not survive. Damn poor luck in the dark.

Body armor is good, I wore it for lots of years, but proper tactics will ensure survival far more than body armor.

If you overthink this, you could conclude that you need an Abrams tank.

Last edited:

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    New...Probably around $600 for anything decent. You can find used for less, but the "guaranteed" work life of one is 5 years. The more one is worn, the quicker it wears out. I wouldn't be afraid of even an expired date one IF the original owner didn't wear it often. Like Sloughfoot says, it' gotta be rated for what you intend to carry and the more it will stop, the less you'll want to wear it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Armor "expires" in 5 years so you will buy more. It actually doesn't expire, it just goes out of warranty. Unless you've dunked in in bleach water or left it out in the sun without a carrier, modern armor will last. The oldest vest I've seen tested was 12 years old and it performed to the specs it was listed at as new. The newest was 6 years old, also "expired" and it stopped everything it was rated for. The 12 year old vest had spent at least the last four years of its life in the desert being worn 6 out of 7 days for 9 hour shifts.

If your boss is paying for it, go for new. You get the peace of mind and you get the longest possible lifespan. If you are spending your own coin, it depends on your resources. A used level III will provide more protection than a new level II and will be cheaper, for example.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Armor "expires" in 5 years so you will buy more. It actually doesn't expire, it just goes out of warranty. Unless you've dunked in in bleach water or left it out in the sun without a carrier, modern armor will last. The oldest vest I've seen tested was 12 years old and it performed to the specs it was listed at as new. The newest was 6 years old, also "expired" and it stopped everything it was rated for. The 12 year old vest had spent at least the last four years of its life in the desert being worn 6 out of 7 days for 9 hour shifts.

If your boss is paying for it, go for new. You get the peace of mind and you get the longest possible lifespan. If you are spending your own coin, it depends on your resources. A used level III will provide more protection than a new level II and will be cheaper, for example.

I agree with this. I've seen tests done on old armor and it worked just fine, but if somebody else is paying for it then get the best they'll buy for you. The Fortville officer (Fox) was shot 6 times in the chest with a .45 and his Level III vest stopped the rounds. A .45 is a common caliber so I'd go with Level III if you can. Your best bet would be to visit Steven R. Jenkins if you're around Indy or Ft. Wayne. They can talk you through any questions you have.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I agree with this. I've seen tests done on old armor and it worked just fine, but if somebody else is paying for it then get the best they'll buy for you. The Fortville officer (Fox) was shot 6 times in the chest with a .45 and his Level III vest stopped the rounds. A .45 is a common caliber so I'd go with Level III if you can. Your best bet would be to visit Steven R. Jenkins if you're around Indy or Ft. Wayne. They can talk you through any questions you have.

Most people with go with level II, which will stop nearly all common threats (including .45 ACP), and can perform beyond spec to stop some other higher powered rounds that are not within the level II specs. Level IIIA is the highest soft armor you can get, though, and is rated to stop up to .44mag and 9mm para out of a SBR.

If you pay extra, you can get a better fiber which will decrease bulkiness while giving the same or higher performance spec as regular aramid.

And finally, don't by a vest from China (if you value your life).

Top Bottom