• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    My wife made me drive her around to the rummage sales today. Well at the first one we stopped at I found this Remington 572, unlike any I have ever seen. It has a copper colored barrel and a stainless tube and a really nice blonde colored wood. The lady did not know anything about it, but that it was her x-husbands dad's and she thought it was old. Well I agree on the old part as I have searched the gun over and it has No Serial Number. I really liked the looks of the gun, it was different so i bought it. She had a pretty good price on it to boot. Anyone have any idea's on it. Is it factory? or did someone do a really good job dressing it up? Thanks for the help........
    100_3532.jpg

100_3533.jpg

100_3536.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pull the barrel and look underneath?
    If it's old enough, it may NOT have a serial #
    I have an old Mossberg .22lr match rifle with no serial#

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Looks like you got a nice, very old Remington there. I would start by doing a Google search on the model number. You should be able to find some info that way. You might even try getting in touch with Remingon and seeing if they might at least be able to give you a range of dates that your model was made. We know that pre-serial number gives you a latest date possible.

Good luck with your search, and congrats on a great find to start it!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just checked GunBroker. They have 10 of the same model, and NOT ONE of them has the copper patina, OR the blond wood.
    Some are going for $400

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have a Remington Nylon 66 I purchased new in 1960 and it has no serial number. I don't know what year serial numbers were mandated.

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    Nice looking Remington 572 Fieldmaster! I picked up one of these earlier this year in like new condition and it did not have a serial number that I could find. When I googled "remington serial number dates" I found this site: Remington Society of America - questions/barrelcodes

DSC03408.jpg
    DSC03414.jpg

DSC03425.jpg
    DSC03417Proof-FinalInspectionL-FebP.jpg

From their diagram, chart, and my barrel markings I was able to determine that my 572 was manufactured February of 1967. The month is determined by these letters in order from Jan-Dec "B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X" according to this diagram:

BarrelProductionDateMarkings.jpg

My barrel has an "L" in the first position therefore it was manufactured in February. The second position letter "P" (on my barrel) identifies the year. According to the following chart my 572 was manufactured in 1967.
    RemingtonProductionYearCodes.jpg

Hope this helps!!!

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    That is great looking little rifle there. Congrats on the new purchase, hope you got a good deal!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Congrats on that. Why is it I only see 8 track tapes at the rummage sales I have gone to, never any cool stuff.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    Thanks for all the info. I have found that it is a factory "light wight buckskin tan" Gun The date codes given above seem to put the gun as a "e" "g" meaning Oct. 1960. I have had a few ask the price. Well it was only $175, which from the looks was a very very good price. This one is going into the safe.

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    Thanks for all the info. I have found that it is a factory "light wight buckskin tan" Gun The date codes given above seem to put the gun as a "e" "g" meaning Oct. 1960. I have had a few ask the price. Well it was only $175, which from the looks was a very very good price. This one is going into the safe.

Wow $175 is a heck of a good price. Definitely a safe queen. .22 rifles don't keep their value all that much but from what I've seen from these little pumps you are already in the positive.

Enjoy!!!

civilwar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Scipio
    My dad has a couple of these fieldmaster Remingtons but I do not believe they are that nice looking, congrats on the find/buy.

Terry

Top Bottom