• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    I have decided to build/buy an AR chambered in .308. The gun will be used for long range plinking and hunting. I'm going with .308 because I have a Savage in .308 and would like to run the same ammo. I have about $1500 to spend on the gun. The $$$$ for the optics will come after I have the gun so optics are not included in this price. I have a few questions. Would I be better off buying one or building one? What barrel length and twist would be the best? I have been eyeballing DPMS LR series for a while, and might just go that route to keep things easy. Let me know what I am missing. And yes.....I know I can't hunt with .308 here in Indiana!:nuts:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    DPMS is probibly the best in .308 AR line right now for the price. You might want to go with the same twist rate as your Savage. Also, magpul is SUPPOSED to be coming out with a mag for the DPMS/SR-25 line of rifles for about $20. Building one is kinda difficult to do because the parts aren't as available as the .223 parts are.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    LR308 rocks

You are on the right road. DPMS makes a great 308. You can get a nicely equipped one for less than 1500. Use the rest for ammo.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Nothing entertains me more than seeing Armalite now offering to sell an "upgrade" package to make the early AR-10's "work", after years of writing "technical bulletins" explaining things away to user and/or ammunition variability.

Assemble your own, and make it a DPMS pattern.

DPMS Pattern Lower, $199:

AIM CMMG MK-3 AR .308/7.62x51 Lower Receiver CMMG MK-3 AR .308/7.62x51 Lower Receiver

DPMS Uppers - $499+

RGUNS - AR-15 Upper Receivers - .308

Midway has some too, just more expensive.

DPMS LR-308 AP4 Upper Assembly 308 Winchester 1 in 10" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with Free Float Handguard, Front Sight, Flash Hider Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

DPMS LR-308 Flattop Upper Assembly 308 Winchester 1 in 10" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with Free Float Handguard, Flash Hider Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

I'm biased towards the 16" AP4.

LPK:

DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit DPMS LR-308 - MidwayUSA

Misc bits, buffers/buffer springs, spare parts:

Search Midway, under Gunsmithing, Gun Parts, DPMS, LR308, Other Parts

Uses a standard AR-15 buffer tube, carbine or rifle, and standard furniture. Specific buffer and spring.

A 16" AP4 upper, Magpul ASAP sling mount, MIAD or MOE grip, MBUS BUIS and a CTR stock round out a carbine nicely using the CMMG lower.

Last edited:

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    I think you best bet for the money is the DPMS would go with a 20" or more on the barrel if you want to do long range shooting. I like my 12 year old Armalite never the first problem.
    Bob

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Nothing entertains me more than seeing Armalite now offering to sell an "upgrade" package to make the early AR-10's "work", after years of writing "technical bulletins" explaining things away to user and/or ammunition variability.

That's hardly fair. The main reason for the upgrade package is the bolt catch (and the m4 feedramp fad).
    The AR10 was introduced during the AWB, so at least modified 20 round M14 mags could be used.
    Armalite has since designed a better magazine follower and bolt catch to go with it.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I don't think a 16" barrel is going to give me the long range accuracy I'm looking for, is it?

Just my preference, the older I get the less I like packing around long and heavy barrels.

The AP4 16" barrel is 150fps slower than most 22" 308's.

That's hardly fair.

If you owned one that didn't work, you might feel differently about it.

Although, I can't say I ever had a magazine problem with the M-14 mags I sent them to convert - and those I assembled with the bodies they were selling.

Unfortunately, the chamber, crown, muzzle brake, barrel extension and ejector/extractor were another story.

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    Bump turnandshoot4, twist rate has to be the same as your savage, barrel length will affect vel. but U can still work up a load for both. Good Luck!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    ....twist rate has to be the same as your savage.....

My standard .308 load is 43.5g of Varget under a 168g Nosler C/C.

For me, it mimicks the Black Hills 168g load within 35fps across the board, regardless of temperature.

I've fired it in 1-8, 1-10, 1-11.25, 1-12 and 1-13 twist barrels with outstanding accuracy.

Basing your purchasing decision on trying to match the advertised barrel twist between two production/OEM grade barrels is absurd.

kwmkoester

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009

Assemble your own, and make it a DPMS pattern.

DPMS Pattern Lower, $199:

AIM CMMG MK-3 AR .308/7.62x51 Lower Receiver CMMG MK-3 AR .308/7.62x51 Lower Receiver

DPMS Uppers - $499+

RGUNS - AR-15 Upper Receivers - .308

Midway has some too, just more expensive.

DPMS LR-308 AP4 Upper Assembly 308 Winchester 1 in 10" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with Free Float Handguard, Front Sight, Flash Hider Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

DPMS LR-308 Flattop Upper Assembly 308 Winchester 1 in 10" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with Free Float Handguard, Flash Hider Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

I'm biased towards the 16" AP4.

LPK:

DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit DPMS LR-308 - MidwayUSA

Misc bits, buffers/buffer springs, spare parts:

Search Midway, under Gunsmithing, Gun Parts, DPMS, LR308, Other Parts

Uses a standard AR-15 buffer tube, carbine or rifle, and standard furniture. Specific buffer and spring.

A 16" AP4 upper, Magpul ASAP sling mount, MIAD or MOE grip, MBUS BUIS and a CTR stock round out a carbine nicely using the CMMG lower.

This is great info, exactly why I come to this site!!!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom