Need help regarding shipping a firearm to a person of your own state ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Can anyone get me the laws regarding shipping a firearm to a person that lives in Indiana and has LTCH. Does it have to go through FFL? How do I get it shipped (fed ex, usps,)? Does it have to overnighted? Thanks.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I am just confused. I have heard many times by members on here that as long as the other person is in Indiana it is legal to ship to them personally if they hold a LTCH. Is this true?

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    just to further clarify the post made by HD1911 above, if there is any confusion, a "licensee" is an FFL holder and a "nonlicensee" is average joe with no FFL.

so in short, if average joe wants to ship a long gun to average bill and they both are proper indiana residents it is fine to do so through USPS, FedEx, or UPS. if average joe wants to send a handgun to average bill and they are both proper indiana residents it is find to do so through FedEx or UPS.

if either average joe or average bill wants to use an FFL on their end, that is fine, too, and does offer some piece of mind to some people.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    • Per INGO FAQ
    • What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to another Indiana resident?

Rifles may be shipped via USPS. Pistols may not be shipped via USPS, but must be shipped via Common Carrier (e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.). In either case, an FFL is not required to be involved in this process. For USPS, Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation is recommended but not required. You may also select "Signature Required" and purchase insurance as well, if you like.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yes it's legal to ship to a non prohibited person that is a resident of the same state. That being said, 9 out of 10 people will never believe you, even if you show them the ATF FAQ page where it's listed.

If you look through the classifieds here just about everyone will "ship to your FFL".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am just confused. I have heard many times by members on here that as long as the other person is in Indiana it is legal to ship to them personally if they hold a LTCH. Is this true?

License To Carry Handgun is just that - to carry. It has nothing to do with the ability to own, buy or receive.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shipped several guns by UPS. Not the UPS Store as they tend to be more expensive, especially their insurance. And they will not do guns.

UPS is more convenient for me but FedEx will do as well. And not all that more expensive than USPS. You may want to require that the receiver picks up at the UPS office (hold for pick up) rather than dropped at their home. Especially if they work when the item would be delivered.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Not to open this old thread. But I had something weird happen that just didn't feel right. I had a glock on armslist with 6 17rd mags. I was contacted by a person from NY wanting to Paypal me money and ship to his ffl. He said he was a LEO, and wanted the mags. I told him I was not familiar with how that works and I would have to do some research and ask my ffl. Here's where it gets fishy. He offers me $100 more dollars than I was asking to ship to his ffl wo any mags. I'm thinking scam, or ATF, or something. Is there something else other than mags that make it NY compliant? I've made up my mind he's not getting the gun but now I'm just courious.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Not to open this old thread. But I had something weird happen that just didn't feel right. I had a glock on armslist with 6 17rd mags. I was contacted by a person from NY wanting to Paypal me money and ship to his ffl. He said he was a LEO, and wanted the mags. I told him I was not familiar with how that works and I would have to do some research and ask my ffl. Here's where it gets fishy. He offers me $100 more dollars than I was asking to ship to his ffl wo any mags. I'm thinking scam, or ATF, or something. Is there something else other than mags that make it NY compliant? I've made up my mind he's not getting the gun but now I'm just courious.

I wouldn't sell the mags either. He can pound sand if he doesn't like it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem

tell him to buy it at his local gun store or take it up with his Communist governor and legislature.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    The fact that someone offers you more money when you say you need to research the law on shipping a handgun to another state should be a red flag. After the SAFE Act magazine capacity was reduced to 10 rounds.

You should also be aware of this;
    Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence ? Gun Law Information Experts
    "New York law requires anyone who intends to transfer a lawfully-possessed handgun, short-barreled rifle or shotgun, or assault weapon, to first notify in writing the State Police or, if appropriate, the licensing officer in New York City or Nassau or Suffolk Counties.4 Finally, New York law includes the following catch-all prohibition: “No person shall except as otherwise authorized pursuant to law dispose of any firearm unless he [or she] is licensed as gunsmith or dealer in firearms.”

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Oh yeah. It was obviously a red flag. What threw me was him wanting me to send it to a ffl wo any mags. Does NY require anything else to be compliment he may have been after?

Top Bottom