• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    My wife and I have gotten back into firearms after a long hiatus. She's never had much experience with handguns, but I have, and it's been a bit of an experience. I can handle just about anything recoil-wise, and it just doesn't really bother me. However, upon handing her my Kahr CM9, we found out in a hurry that recoil DOES bother her, in a pretty big way. Admittedly, I know the CM9 is going to move around more than a full-size, but I thought a 9mm loaded with standard-pressure rounds wouldn't be too much for her. WRONG!

So, needing some help! I've got NO experience with the SR9 series, but looking at all the forums and reviews I can find, looks like they may be the ticket. However, I'm concerned not just with recoil, but also the strength of the recoil springs - she can't grip the CM9 and rack the slide AT all. So, given our two other Rugers in the household (10/22, SR22), I thought I'd look into something with some similar blood in it, as it were.

I know the SR9C has a dual-spring recoil spring setup like my Kahr. Is it any harder to rack than, say, the full-size SR9? Or is there a better choice available in a low-recoiling, easy to rack the slide, but still concealable 9mm? Any lady shooters out there, or anyone who is sharing their gun with one, who can help?

Thanks for all the forthcoming posts!!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Look for a CZ 75.

The CZ 75b is a full size all steel gun, recoil is mitigated by weight.
    The CZ 75c is a compact all steel gun, a bit smaller but still pretty heavy.
    The CZ 75d is a compact ALUMINUM frame gun with steel slide, a bit lighter than the 75c.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I'm not a 9mm fan, but the softest recoil 9 I have seen so far is the M&P, and I work at a range, so I get to see a lot of 9's.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My husband owned an SR9C for awhile. I didn't like it. I'm pretty strong for a female, and I had trouble with the slide. I have a SIG P938 now. I find that recoil pretty mild.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    My wife and I have gotten back into firearms after a long hiatus. She's never had much experience with handguns, but I have, and it's been a bit of an experience. I can handle just about anything recoil-wise, and it just doesn't really bother me. However, upon handing her my Kahr CM9, we found out in a hurry that recoil DOES bother her, in a pretty big way. Admittedly, I know the CM9 is going to move around more than a full-size, but I thought a 9mm loaded with standard-pressure rounds wouldn't be too much for her. WRONG!

So, needing some help! I've got NO experience with the SR9 series, but looking at all the forums and reviews I can find, looks like they may be the ticket. However, I'm concerned not just with recoil, but also the strength of the recoil springs - she can't grip the CM9 and rack the slide AT all. So, given our two other Rugers in the household (10/22, SR22), I thought I'd look into something with some similar blood in it, as it were.

I know the SR9C has a dual-spring recoil spring setup like my Kahr. Is it any harder to rack than, say, the full-size SR9? Or is there a better choice available in a low-recoiling, easy to rack the slide, but still concealable 9mm? Any lady shooters out there, or anyone who is sharing their gun with one, who can help?

Thanks for all the forthcoming posts!!!

Have her try .380.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I am considering buying my wife a 9mm for the home..she is not really an active shooter..she is too intimidated by my 1911 .45acp because of all the "levers and buttons" (her words) and the recoil doesnt suit her too well...so i thought a hi-cap 9mm might do her. i am not a fan of the 9mm but there are better ammo choices now and at least she will have 17 rounds to throw down the hallway of the house to defend herself with...anyway...fro a non-active shooter, my reasoning is a Glock...relaible and simple to operate. Again, I am not a fan of a 9mm or necessarily a Glock either, but i understand the value of the Glock. For my wife, we believe it may be a better choice...or at least a very good bench mark to start from

GONZO!!!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    where are you located? I'm sure if you asked politley a kind ingo member or two may be willing to bring some various examples out to play with.

so far guns mentioned/worth looking at are

M&P family,
    Glock family
    FNH family
    Walther
    CZ
    HK family.

I have experience with the glock, cz and fn's.

I have little experience with the M&P.

My HK experience has been a shock. I ran a P30L for a while and decided I liked my G19 better. After procuring an HK USP 40 Expert, I am thinking of dumping my Glock 35.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Absolutely. I've offered a few INGO members to check out my limited arsenal.*

*Arsenal means S&W M&P pistols except for my newly acquired GLOCK LC-9 (It's a ONE of a KIND!)

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Baby eagle full size steel. Recoil is almost nil and if you get the recoil reducer springs, I heard its like a 22. My wife hates recoil and wont shoot my 380 ppks. So my baby eagle is now her baby eagle until I get a second. There are lots of stories found on google about wives taking their hubbies' baby eagles.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Baby eagle full size steel. Recoil is almost nil and if you get the recoil reducer springs, I heard its like a 22. My wife hates recoil and wont shoot my 380 ppks. So my baby eagle is now her baby eagle until I get a second. There are lots of stories found on google about wives taking their hubbies' baby eagles.

Just for those who may not know, a "Baby Eagle" is one of the CZ75 'clone' pistols. Others that quickly come to mind would include the EAA Witness and the Armalite AR24.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    9mm is the most common caliber. It's a great choice for many, and those that shy away from large, hand cannons.

There are several Sig 9mm pistols to choose from...and, several of these are available in other calibers.

P226
    P229
    P232
    P238
    P250
    P290
    P938

Women love shopping!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I'd say :+1: on the CZ-75. My fiance (the angry midget, as she calles herself) doesn't like recoil much at all when she shoots my guns, but she can not only handle the recoil on the CZ-75 (Mine is a BD), but she finds she is more accurate that with any other gun I own. Food for thought...

Top Bottom